Advice needed on getting back into HGV work

hi everyone, hopefully someone has some ideas for me, i havent driven in 5 and half years and am needing to get back into driving trucks for a living right now, for various reasons

i am currently living in north london, i have a C and C+E licenses, no CPC at the moment i will have to get that sorted before anything so thats 400 quid, ouch

before i worked away from trucking i had around 6 years experience. i’ve mostly done retail delivery work for agencies, have worked for tesco, iceland, Next clothes shops, british bakeries, co-op, the usual stuff. and I had a permanent job doing night trunking for about a year

but never done general haulauge and never even did a night out so far

so i am not sure where to start, am feeling quite nervous to get back into a HGV especially if i have to pass an assessment drive. the agencies in london were always pretty good and gave me regular work 5 days a week most weeks around here so doing that again would suit me or even getting a tramping job. not sure if i can get in there with no recent experience

anyone been in the same situation? or have some tips, cheers

It’s like riding a bike. Never forget.
Ring round a few training schools and maybe get some refresher training. Just to get you up to date etc.
CPC course should help.a little with changed drivers hour regs and WTD.

After losing my licence I spent 3 years away then shunted for a year and a half. Again another break of 13 years before getting my licence back last year and went straight to a job casual tramping. On assessment it all came right back. Only bit I was worried about was the digicard/tacho etc. Assessor soon explained plus the Internet helped and here of course.
Good luck, am sure you’ll be fine.

Most trucks are auto now ,so the job is a bit easier.Tryto get a useful DCPC course like ADR or Hiab.This would make you a better bet for potential employers.

You got help on rocketsquadron? Jeez, we must be slipping.

Beau Nydel:
You got help on rocketsquadron? Jeez, we must be slipping.

■■

can HIAB be a part of DCPC then?

chrisdalott:

Sadly not, it’s not a JAUPT accredited course.

jaupt.org.uk/

Evil8Beezle:

chrisdalott:

Sadly not, it’s not a JAUPT accredited course.

jaupt.org.uk/

Yes it can :wink: you just need to know what you are looking for :wink:

jaupt.org.uk/course/safe-use-of … s4923-1297

That is one local to me.

Well I never! :open_mouth:

Not that it gives any clue that it’s HIAB… :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
Well I never! :open_mouth:

Not that it gives any clue that it’s HIAB… :laughing:

HIAB is just a brand name, like Hoover or Dyson.

If the OP were to be serious about a HIAB course it would be worth finding one that is accredited for CPC, as Beeze has said not all of them are!