Operator cpc question

Need help confirming question on exam, any guidance would be much appreciated

Jack smith 48 employed for 7 1/2 yrs, what is jack smiths period of notice from the company?

Study notes and information online points to 7 weeks notice ( one week for every year after 2 years service )

Answers at the back of study pack says 7 1/2 weeks notice

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One week unless contract says otherwise

I marked down b. 7 weeks, yet answer sheet says c. 7 1/2 weeks…. And now I have 1 week from yourself, so confused [emoji848]

gov.uk/redundancy-your-righ … ce-periods
“You must be given a notice period before your employment ends.
The statutory redundancy notice periods are:
at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more
Check your contract. Your employer may give you more than the statutory minimum, but they cannot give you less.”

“One week for each year…” after a qualifying period of two years.
Not, one week for each year, but only starting counting after the first two.

So I was right and the answer sheet was wrong…… I’ve never seen or read anything about calculating half weeks into notice periods [emoji848]

Oops, read question, I read it as employee leaving, not the company terminating.
Surely if it’s 1week per year AFTER the first 2 yrs, then it’s 5 yrs, not 7?

lmp198181:
So I was right and the answer sheet was wrong…… I’ve never seen or read anything about calculating half weeks into notice periods [emoji848]

I don`t know.

If what you say is true it should say:
“One week for each full year of service”?
If what the answer suggest is so it should say:
“One week for each year, pro-rata”?

The exact meaning will be found somewhere deeper in the regs.

I read it as what is jacks period of notice FROM the company [emoji848] I just can see why the answer is 7 1/2 weeks

Franglais:

lmp198181:

I don`t know.

If what you say is true it should say:
“One week for each full year of service”?
If what the answer suggest is so it should say:
“One week for each year, pro-rata”?

The exact meaning will be found somewhere deeper in the regs.

Thanks for the info, I’m just going to make a list of questions I get wrong to pose to the teacher when I book and do the course in person ( at the moment I’ve brought the study pack and trying to build a foundation before attending the intense training ) [emoji1317]

Time with your employer Minimum notice
1 month to 2 years 1 week
2 years or more 1 week for each full year, up to a maximum of 12 weeks

For example, if you’ve worked for your employer for 5 years and 3 months you get 5 weeks’ notice

From
citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ … ce-period/

Citizen Advice is not a “.gov” site but is generally reliable.
Looks like your 7 weeks is correct.
(to me anyway)

You and me both mate, thank you [emoji1317]

I would have said seven weeks too, I also haven’t heard anything about calculating half-weeks, which IMO wouldn’t really work anyway, as no matter whether you’re looking a seven weekdays or five working days, you’re still going to end up with a half day somewhere along the line, and that seems impractical.

lmp198181:
at the moment I’ve brought the study pack and trying to build a foundation before attending the intense training

Good move, but please tell me you bought the EOS study notes? These are far and away the industry leader, an absolute bargain at less than £130.

eostraining.com/product/roa … tudy-pack/

I don’t want to sound harsh but if you’re in the mood for a bit of advice (from someone who has a limited involvement in delivering TM-CPC): Don’t get hung up on questions for the multiple choice; I can tell you from experience that the trainer won’t overly focus on minutiae like that. They’ll have a room full of people of varying abilities, and an absolute shed-load of material to get through on a strict timescale.

The rest of your course-mates won’t thank you for derailing the schedule if you have loads of questions like this one. I clearly remember having a quiet word my TMCPC trainer telling him he needed to grip the class and stop all the BS chatter and endless distraction that was going on over minor or obscure details. Look at the bigger picture and don’t get bogged down. For what it’s worth, that what I did and I was the only one in my class who passed both exams at that first sitting.

The biggest issues of the classroom course will be getting all the candidates’ heads around; (i) the driver scheduling question and (ii) the financial question, both in the case study exam.

Exam Strategy 101

1. time management in the exams is all important, it’s no good knowing the stuff if you can’t get it on paper in the time allowed, don’t get bogged down with unnecessary details, cut to the chase, you’re up against the clock and every minute or even half-a-minute will count.
  2. if you’ve got rubbish handwriting, consider practicing block-capital printing at high speed; if the examiner can’t read it, they can’t mark it.
  3. most of all, the exams are based on by-the-book-theory-and-legislation, so any real-world practices you might already be familiar with can be a hindrance for experienced drivers in an exam situation.

Best of luck with it.

Thats fantastic advice…… thank you for your time, specially with the fact it’s Christmas Eve [emoji1317] thanks again and have a fantastic Christmas [emoji319]

Zac_A:
3) most of all, the exams are based on by-the-book-theory-and-legislation, so any real-world practices you might already be familiar with can be a hindrance for experienced drivers in an exam situation.

Best of luck with it.

Brilliant advice. In an exam, it’s answering how the book says and not the way its done at Xyzzy Ltd. And by the end of the course & exam, folks often realise that what has been happening is less than ideal.

That is going in my notes as we speak…. Can’t thank you enough for the advice [emoji1317]