Notice period

Am I understanding this right ,I’m on 30 days notice ( basically 4 weeks ) ,I’ve 12 years continues years employment ( 12 weeks ) ,so could they make me work 16 weeks notice if I wanted my redundancy ,if that’s correct :question: ,I’m assuming I would forfeit my redundancy if I went earlier :question: :question:

Have you a contract,it should tell you all about notices.
Are you paid monthly to be given 30 days notice.

Unless your contract States a specific notice period it’s 1 week of weekly paid and 30days (1month) if monthly paid.

Your redundancy settlement (12weeka wages for 12 yrs service) is not in addition to your notice period Ie not added together like you have done. Not working notice period but still collecting redundancy is down to talks with your employer etc.

You only get redundancy payments if you are made redundant by the company (or take voluntary redundancy if asked).

If you choose to leave a job, they owe you nothing except any unpaid holiday.

A former colleague of mine once assumed that if he left the place where we were working they would give him a month’s salary for every year he’d worked. He got nothing!

As said previously it depends on your Ts&Cs. If they’re giving you notice the usual benchmark is 1 week for every year you’ve worked for them up to a maximum of 12, however it depends on the circumstances. They can ask/tell you to leave asap but still have to pay you for the weeks you are due plus your full redundancy payout, usually done to try & prevent theft or damage to kit & equipment.
When ASDA made 120 drivers redundant they gave them 90 days notice, after this period you were expected to work your usual notice, 1 week per year, and yes, it is legal as I checked with a solicitor.
If you are volunteering for redundancy, & will be claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, make sure you get a letter from the company stating that you were selected for redundancy & not a volunteer otherwise you won’t be eligible for money as your classed as putting yourself out of work. This happened to loads of soldiers that volunteered for redundancy in the early nineties.

Thanks all I think I maynbe getting ahead of myself ,I thought I was on 30 days notice starting 16.3.15, but apparently I’m only under a possible threat of redundancy :confused: :confused: ,it would be so much easier if they just said you’ve a job or you haven’t ,not this maybe ,not sure ,might etc .
If there wasn’t a few 1,000 involved ,I think,I’d make the decision for them ,thanks again

How much notice do you have to give (if any) in your first 3 months? Someone I know… is sick of having to deal with a planner with no manners.