HARRIS ROAD SERVICES

Wasn,t there a DAF Dealership next to Harris Northwich depot ( also near the Canal ) and I,m sure it was called Barrow ! . I,m sure you guys will remember it and correct me if I,m wrong

Harris Road Services advert.

Click on page once/twice to read.

Boatchaser:
Wasn,t there a DAF Dealership next to Harris Northwich depot ( also near the Canal ) and I,m sure it was called Barrow ! . I,m sure you guys will remember it and correct me if I,m wrong

Yes - nxt door under the low bridge ± North West Trucks owned by the Barrow family - Harris bought at lot of Dafs from them, the sales director was Bob Chadwick ex ERF sales director and yes their was and still is canal across the road. Previously Harris had bought the road tanker business off Barrow who continued to rent Tanker trailers

Cheers
Kenb

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jack Richards is in that yard now

I think Harris Road Services did a Norwich trunk in early 60s. I think they went straight through without a changeover.

My dad and grandad were both drivers for Harris Northwich. Apparently my dad got the first DAF on the fleet, still has a magazine knocking around with it on the front cover somewhere!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Steele:
My dad and grandad were both drivers for Harris Northwich. Apparently my dad got the first DAF on the fleet, still has a magazine knocking around with it on the front cover somewhere!

Morning - what were their names?

Kenb

gingerfold:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jack Richards is in that yard now

wonder what their rent is?

Harris has a lease with ICI - they paid a peppercorn rent £1 per year Due to all the Brine pipes running under it

Originally before the Harris brothers got into transport the yard had a shed on it that made the metal cages for the Demi John acid bottles - the cages were coated in bitumen.

Ken b

Kenb:

Steele:

Kenb

Rob Steele is my dad, Jim Taylor my grandad.

Steele:

Kenb:

Steele:

Kenb

Thanks for the info
I must admit I am struggling with those names, but it’s a long time ago.

Interestingly the first Daf that Harris had was a long term demo a Daf2500 Dktd wad put on the Mars Elmdon to Slough 24hrs shuttle - never let them down, hence it was purchased and it was when Mars bitterly complained out the poor reliability of the ERFs thats when the Dafs were purchased in quantity, they were the 2800s. After some time ERF were so upset they gave (free) Harris a brand new motor with a Gardner turbo engine - that went on the ICI salt contract with Reg ? His wife worked in the office Beryl? Reg kept very accurate fuel consumption figures - I think it was 13mpg amazing.
Your dad - remember - Bob Steele - remember know.

Regards

Kenb

Kenb:

Steele:

Kenb:

Steele:

Kenb

Thanks for the info
I must admit I am struggling with those names, but it’s a long time ago.

Interestingly the first Daf that Harris had was a long term demo a Daf2500 Dktd wad put on the Mars Elmdon to Slough 24hrs shuttle - never let them down, hence it was purchased and it was when Mars bitterly complained out the poor reliability of the ERFs thats when the Dafs were purchased in quantity, they were the 2800s. After some time ERF were so upset they gave (free) Harris a brand new motor with a Gardner turbo engine - that went on the ICI salt contract with Reg ? His wife worked in the office Beryl? Reg kept very accurate fuel consumption figures - I think it was 13mpg amazing.
Your dad - remember - Bob Steele - remember know.

Regards

Kenb

…could that have been Reg Johnson? I think he came from Harris to Western Transport and did occasionally drive the tankers. (A few others moved from Harris to Westerns both TDG firms. I think the foreman fitter Mike Buckley did also)

My grandad remembers Reg Postals on the salt and his wife Beryl?

H I, Folks Harris ran a dozen or so traders and tk bedford artic s with 4 in line coil carriers painted the same as Shotton steel a maroon , on contract licence based at cafe come service station ,just out side the works at wood bank , just a bit of usless info ,cheers Barry

Steele:
My grandad remembers Reg Postals on the salt and his wife Beryl?

Thanks for reminding me of Reg’s surname - he was a very helpful guy.
Thanks

Ken b

B.Wadsworth:
H I, Folks Harris ran a dozen or so traders and tk bedford artic s with 4 in line coil carriers painted the same as Shotton steel a maroon , on contract licence based at cafe come service station ,just out side the works at wood bank , just a bit of usless info ,cheers Barry

Hi
Good info - you are correct that developed into a 36 vehicle feet working for Shotton steel inc a depot outside the works and then the purchase of the old vehicle entrance and parking area. At one meeting with the works director he referred to Harris’s as their taxi service for the coils!! A long business association developed inc Harris developing the curtain slide cover trailer for them and doing internal shunting. Not sure how it all ended?

Kenb

Kenb:

B.Wadsworth:

Hi
Good info - you are correct that developed into a 36 vehicle feet working for Shotton steel inc a depot outside the works and then the purchase of the old vehicle entrance and parking area. At one meeting with the works director he referred to Harris’s as their taxi service for the coils!! A long business association developed inc Harris developing the curtain slide cover trailer for them and doing internal shunting. Not sure how it all ended?

Kenb

Hi Barry, Kenb, Harris when they morphed into TDG took a lead with the external haulage for Shotton works, and any haulier, including the one I worked for had to trade via TDG, who took. % for the work…the end of independent hauliers…but popular at the time :frowning: , there were some costars on on the job in those days, long term driver Alistair who was also the Mayor of Mold at one time I think…Barry? Do you recall…I have a few pics of the Shotton fleet will dig them out, A series with 240 Gardner’s etc

ex Harris drivers Alistair, and young snicker!

in TDG colours

steelboyf10:
in TDG colours

I wonder if this DAF 80 came to Harris from Inter City Transport ■■■■■■■■■■■ who were running a large number when they closed .