Jobs in Canada

There was an add on Indeed, which I can not now find, offering work in Canada into the USA offering $70,000.

I am just curious if it is feasible, would be interesting for a year or two although getting on in years now

If you can hold off and have any experience in recovery, there will be a huge flux of jobs recovering Tesla Semis in Canada and the US soon.

Looked into similar 15 years ago. Big money was Canada to Mexico, 3 week trip. It was the same money as Class 2 tramping in the UK :open_mouth:

The “Ex Pat” forum isn`t very busy currently, but there is some useful background reading there for anyone thinking of going to Canada/US.

I think it’s become very expensive to get a CDL in Canada now. Also I think you have to be below a certain age- 30, 35?- to get a visa. But that’s only what I vaguely recall so the ex-pat forum is the place to ask those with actual experience of it all.

What happened to Robin Hood?
(Not the guy in tights with a bow and arrow, the Brit on here who drove in Canada.)

Anyhoo this other Brit managed to get work over there. :smiley:
youtu.be/FshU58nI0Ts

I wouldn’t even think about it nowadays. I toyed with the idea about 15 years ago, but I don’t think it’s as great as they made it out to be. Most companies pay on mileage, so if you’re waiting about for loads or tipping you aren’t earning anything. 2 weeks annual holiday a year also as far as I’m aware. The way the Trudeau government has treated the Truckers over the protests is abysmal in my opinion also and they are becoming more and more authoritarian, I wouldn’t of taken the death jab, so if I’d of upped and gone out there when I thought about it, I’d be ■■■■■■ now!!

There’s been a few TNUK members over the years who have given Canadian driving a go, a quick search will show up some interesting information, but from what I remember you’re tied to the company that pays for your license, and you’re effectively their ■■■■■ for the duration of the contract. But in the end the majority of them have returned to the UK

Didn’t Pat Hasler go to North America some years ago? I believe he is still there.

Ken.

Thanks, didn’t realize there was an ex pat forum.

Big money would be nice but I think it would be a cool experience, couldn’t do it before, family, unwell mother.

Converting via Google 70k in Canadian dollars works out at 42k in pounds.

Is it really worth it?

From an experience perspective maybe but once upon a time it would have been worth it financially too.

Macski:
There was an add on Indeed, which I can not now find, offering work in Canada into the USA offering $70,000.

I am just curious if it is feasible, would be interesting for a year or two although getting on in years now

Was it this ?

totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … ob99228980

toonsy:

Is it really worth it?

From an experience perspective maybe but once upon a time it would have been worth it financially too.

If someone does it for the adventure, I totally get that. And possibly housing costs are lower in Canada, I don’t know but that would be a factor. It’s never been for me because of the harsh climate although I’d like to visit Canada and do the train ride through the Rockies thing.

Asad_uk:

Macski:

Was it this ?

totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … ob99228980

Sounds very similar!

Harry Monk:

toonsy:

Is it really worth it?

If someone does it for the adventure, I totally get that. And possibly housing costs are lower in Canada, I don’t know but that would be a factor. It’s never been for me because of the harsh climate although I’d like to visit Canada and do the train ride through the Rockies thing.

I guess I should have checked the conversation rate for Canadian $. Also reading the ex pat forum now I know exists you need to do a course that costs $10,000 before your allowed to take your HGV or whatever it is in Canada C something.

I would love to spend a winter in Canada. Used to have a friend from Canada, was doing a PhD in statistics in Liverpool Uni, asked why she came here jokingly telling her must be the weather she said actually it was. She lived by a lake in the mountains and told me in summer she would spend it by the lake with friends and in winter skiing and had no time to study, so came to Bristol to do her degree in maths or math as she would say, and was doing her PhD in Liverpool.

Sadly we were really good friends but as I was older this was a barrier to her and we lost contact after she went back to Canada :cry:

The post from Sweden asking for drivers to work in Sweden sounds interesting.

As to jobs in Sweden,there are literally hundreds of vacancies in various sectors of industry due to a chronic shortage of people and the vast investment and expansion of mining and energy sectors concerned with the future.But,be warned the majority of jobs are in the north,if you dont like snow and cold,dont think about it.Since October e have had temps between -2c and -25,and thats just the beginning,it will continue until May.

hutpik:
As to jobs in Sweden,there are literally hundreds of vacancies in various sectors of industry due to a chronic shortage of people and the vast investment and expansion of mining and energy sectors concerned with the future.But,be warned the majority of jobs are in the north,if you dont like snow and cold,dont think about it.Since October e have had temps between -2c and -25,and thats just the beginning,it will continue until May.

Each to their own!
Cold and dark, does nowt for me, and a lovely photo of pristine white snow, might make me smile, but not for long.
Are 3rd country immigrants being taken on? Or are vacancies open to Schengen or other EU citizens only.

ED, answering my own question, subject to correction of course!
All new jobs must be advertised in Sweden and throughout the EU before it is advertised in 3rd countries.
migrationsverket.se/English … apply.html

hutpik:

Absolutely love snow, cold doesn’t bother me, love skiing! Going to email the guy later this afternoon.

once had a job offer up in North Russia ,friend of mine could get me the visa locally. I thought id take a look online, images in truck in winter/Pechora city but the only image i could find was a truck in a blizzard the driver was looking under the truck .I knew immediately it was not for me

I loved living on my narrow boat for three years, especially In winter. But if I was to move somewhere cold, I would not be looking at driving a truck. Logging, trapping, f8shing anything as long as it means being out in nature, and far removed from other people…

I think you need to look at the drivers hours regulations:

• 13 hours driving allowed or should I say expected, in a day!

• maximum 70 hrs a week or 120 over two!

• only one mandatory day off, every two weeks.

No thank you.