Do Accidents Just Happen?

Do accidents “just happen”?
Maybe they do.

Collisions on roads are seldom or almost never “accidents”.
They have a cause. Mostly human and mostly one or more drivers at fault.

Calling road collisions “accidents” is calling them something that they are not.
Calling a road collision an “accident” means that we tend to think there is no human cause, so we can ignore it, or look away.

(Hang on Queenie, I`ll try to start another thread for you in a minute)

Wow, your really hanging on to a disagreement aint ya :unamused:

The gas man:

I`m trying to make a point regarding road collisions/accidents without disrupting another thread,

The gas man:

That’s what he does when he gets upset…in a drama queen stylee. :laughing:

Anyhoo not contributing any further, or rising to the bait (even though the human reference is a bit ironic :laughing: ) as it will eventually get binned.
So I’ll just say…
FYI, CBA, …but thanks to Frangers for a new signature idea. :sunglasses:
:laughing:

2 Things to say to this.

1. It was changed from RTA to RTC because an “accident” implies that somebody is/was to blame.

2. 95% of accidents are caused by People, and 95% of People are caused by Accident. :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:

1. It was changed from RTA to RTC because an “accident” implies that somebody is/was to blame.

Isnt it tother way around?

Yes we do tend hear incidents involving “mechanically propelled vehicles” referred to as “collisions” rather than “accidents” but as far as the law goes (Road Traffic Act 1988, section 170) it’s still an “accident”

legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 … ection/170

Zac_A:
Yes we do tend hear incidents involving “mechanically propelled vehicles” referred to as “collisions” rather than “accidents” but as far as the law goes (Road Traffic Act 1988, section 170) it’s still an “accident”

legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 … ection/170

Happen it`ll be a long time before there are many changes to the Statute Books.
I think the police were in the forefront of the change in usage though?
They are, at any rate, using “collision” and “incident” rather than “accident” now.

“Report a road traffic incident - Thames Valley Policehttps://www.thamesvalley.police.uk › report › ocr › rep…
If you were involved in a collision as a driver or rider you must personally report the incident yourself to us as soon as possible and, in any case, withi…”
“Request a collision report | Metropolitan Policehttps://www.met.police.uk › rqo › request-collision-report
Apply for a copy of collision reports you need for insurance…”

I would have thought an accident is something that was not meant to happen ie someone made a mistake .A crash is caused because someone drives to fast in the wrong place and crashes…or drives when drunk or drugged up.An accident happens because a road system or road is bad design and has an accident waiting to happen …I feel like a barrister eh eh :exclamation:

fuse:
I would have thought an accident is something that was not meant to happen ie someone made a mistake .A crash is caused because someone drives to fast in the wrong place and crashes…or drives when drunk or drugged up…An accident happens because a road system or road is bad design and has an accident waiting to happen. I feel like a barrister eh eh :exclamation:

“A crash is caused because someone drives to fast in the wrong place and crashes…or drives when drunk or drugged up”
Yep, Id agree. And Id say “crash”=collision"".

So it is right to not to call crashes (collisions) “accidents”.
They are not deliberate acts, but they are caused by human error/incompetence/negligence.

Franglais:

fuse:
I would have thought an accident is something that was not meant to happen ie someone made a mistake .A crash is caused because someone drives to fast in the wrong place and crashes…or drives when drunk or drugged up…An accident happens because a road system or road is bad design and has an accident waiting to happen. I feel like a barrister eh eh :exclamation:

“A crash is caused because someone drives to fast in the wrong place and crashes…or drives when drunk or drugged up”
Yep, Id agree. And Id say “crash”=collision"".

Are Franglais and Currywürst related? Has anybody ever seen them together?
So it is right to not to call crashes (collisions) “accidents”.
They are not deliberate acts, but they are caused by human error/incompetence/negligence.

You sound a little like a turkey voting for Christmas! You seem to advocate taking the human out of the equation would solve the dismal amounts of collisions on our roads. Whereas I agree, are we not just playing in to the hands of the cabal? :smiling_imp:

LazyDriver:
You sound a little like a turkey voting for Christmas! You seem to advocate taking the human out of the equation would solve the dismal amounts of collisions on our roads. Whereas I agree, are we not just playing in to the hands of the cabal? :smiling_imp:

I am saying that if we drivers take the attitude "its just another accident" (ref to a post in another thread) then we wont be owning up to the responsibility we as drivers have.
I am talking about the way we discuss collisions and incidents.

There is a valid debate to be had about automation in the workplace, of course. (That is what you mean, isn`t it?)
And safety is a part of that, but not the only part.

There is very little I want to say about “the cabal”! :smiley:

^^^ I got there was some throwback to another discussion, though I haven’t seen which one. And it is my belief that ALL collisions are caused by human actions (or inactions) but I’m still needing a wage and my skillset is somewhat limited… :stuck_out_tongue:

LazyDriver:
^^^ I got there was some throwback to another discussion, though I haven’t seen which one. And it is my belief that ALL collisions are caused by human actions (or inactions) but I’m still needing a wage and my skillset is somewhat limited… :stuck_out_tongue:

A good argument for better human drivers, I would be happy to agree.

Suggest you check out the definition of the word accident you know unexpected unintentional incident.
It’s also why it’s called the air accident investigation branch not the criminally insane pilot investigation branch.
Yes there are some drivers and pilots who might sometimes fit the latter description as a finding of those investigations.

robroy:

The gas man:

That’s what he does when he gets upset…in a drama queen stylee. :laughing:

Anyhoo not contributing any further, or rising to the bait (even though the human reference is a bit ironic :laughing: ) as it will eventually get binned.
So I’ll just say…
FYI, CBA, …but thanks to Frangers for a new signature idea. :sunglasses:
:laughing:

He’s a Stalinist control freak in this case obviously making the point that humans should be banned from flying or driving anything.

I drive down the road, a steering component fails due to an unforseeable defect, I pile into a motorway bridge as I’ve no control over steering and cannot stop in time. I’ve had a collision, am I to blame, is the mechanic who examined the part in the last safety check and could see nothing wrong to blame, is the manufacturer’s QC who could see nothing wrong to blame?

Conor:
I drive down the road, a steering component fails due to an unforseeable defect, I pile into a motorway bridge as I’ve no control over steering and cannot stop in time. I’ve had a collision, am I to blame, is the mechanic who examined the part in the last safety check and could see nothing wrong to blame, is the manufacturer’s QC who could see nothing wrong to blame?

Would your No Claims Bonus be affected?

Is a crèche a traffic accident in Belgravia?