Motorway accidents

why are there so many when they are all going same way and trucks are limited to 56 can not understand it

fuse:
why are there so many when they are all going same way and trucks are limited to 56 can not understand it

Motorway INCIDENTS, CRASHES or COLLISIONS are caused by drivers not concentrating or forward planning.

About 1% are ACCIDENTS where something happened beyond the control of one or more of the drivers involved - a medical or mechanical failure, including a tyre blow out, for example.

fuse:

Tailgating

Are we, as professional drivers, overdue to stop abusing the word ‘accident’?

ROG:
‘…Motorway INCIDENTS, CRASHES or COLLISIONS are caused by drivers not concentrating or forward planning…’

…and when will the BBC travel newsreaders be educated to stop perpetrating the irritating ‘accident’ line? It too effectively disowns the truth…

Happy Keith:
Are we, as professional drivers, overdue to stop abusing the word ‘accident’?

ROG:
‘…Motorway INCIDENTS, CRASHES or COLLISIONS are caused by drivers not concentrating or forward planning…’

…and when will the BBC travel newsreaders be educated to stop perpetrating the irritating ‘accident’ line? It too effectively disowns the truth…

I thought Sally traffic Radio 2 went through a phrase of saying “incident” not accident? not sure how long she did that for or if she still does as dont listen to it.

fuse:

Easy answer …

Mostly the accidents are late in the evening or early hours …

Tiredness…

I work nights and start at 7pm …My lull hits me at 3am-3.30am.
If I,m not too bad I can get past it and be alright , if it hits me big time I have to pull over in the next available spot and put in some bunk time …I normally get on the handsfree at this time in the morning (yes I know I’m on the phone handsfree is still legal )and have a 10 minute jokey chat with my buddy , finish that then have a ciggie (yes I know you can’t smoke in the cabs) and that does me fine …If I can I will exit the motorway and go cross country , that keeps you alert with a more involved drive rather than plodding on 3 lanes of tarmac.But like I say if it hits me bad none of the above applies and I have to get off the road…Work never questions why you finished later than the planned time unless it really takes the ■■■■.

Whilst agreeing with the above I would also add…

Arrogance

Overconfidence/lack of ability

Bad weather or more to the point drivers ability to realise bad weather may mean they need to slow down and concentrate.

The weather is a big factor, the worse the weather is the worse people seem to drive, especially in the rain.

Dirty windscreens inside the vehicle, only seem to become apparent when it’s this time of year and you get the low sun in the sky, come round a corner and all of a sudden you can’t see anything.

I think the main reason is just the general standard of driving, it’s just appalling these days, everyone seems to have to get to where they are going before the person in front of them and they don’t care what measures they take to do so.

That’s just my opinion, probably wrong though.

I agree with all that’s been said, but are today’s drivers really any worse than those from the past?

Is it not because there is effectively no enforcement on our roads today to discourage ‘bad driving’ - just static cameras to catch the speeders. Couple that with the increased amount of traffic fighting for the same amount of tarmac and it’s easy to see why there are so many crashes nowadays.

I don’t blame the Police officers, but the higher echelons of the superior ranks and the Government for not providing a suitable deterrent. All we have now are the plastic police (HATO’s) that carry out a very useful service on the motorway networks, while the dedicated traffic divisions have all but been disbanded or had their primary duties ‘re-aligned’ to make up for the lack of resources in other departments.

Bring back a visible deterrent, and if necessary enforce a zero-tolerance on our roads with the resources needed to deliver such a solution. It’s amazing how well people are capable of driving with just a little persuasion!

very true joiner…driving standards are going worse by the day and so many cars have filthy inside screens where they have wiped the screen instead of using the heater. Can’t see anything when the sun is in their eyes.

Aggression is a major factor too. I had somebody blowing their horn behind me today because I dared to slow down for some speed humps! My shockers, not theirs) They then risked a head on crash overtaking me!

Some-one said that if a spike was pointing at the driver from the middle of the steering wheel then behaviour on our roads would improve instantly :slight_smile:

ROG:

fuse:

Motorway INCIDENTS, CRASHES or COLLISIONS are caused by drivers not concentrating or forward planning.

About 1% are ACCIDENTS where something happened beyond the control of one or more of the drivers involved - a medical or mechanical failure, including a tyre blow out, for example.

Where do you get these figures from Rog ?

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

ROG:

fuse:

Where do you get these figures from Rog ?

From the DfT - they were published in an issue of the Advanced Driving magazine within the last 18 months or so.

ROG:
Some-one said that if a spike was pointing at the driver from the middle of the steering wheel then behaviour on our roads would improve instantly :slight_smile:

Clarkson amongst others, though it goes back years.

The actual point being that modern cars (and trucks for that matter) have so much safety stuff built into them these days that drivers feel immortal, and therefore subconsciously take risks that they wouldn’t have dared to do 20 years ago.

We see RTA’s today where drivers walk away from them unscathed, whereas in the 60’s and 70’s they’d have been the subject of a coroners’ inquest.

gnasty gnome:
We see RTA’s today where drivers walk away from them unscathed, whereas in the 60’s and 70’s they’d have been the subject of a coroners’ inquest.

Very good point.

Ski:
All we have now are the plastic police (HATO’s) that carry out a very useful service on the motorway networks, while the dedicated traffic divisions have all but been disbanded or had their primary duties ‘re-aligned’ to make up for the lack of resources in other departments.

Bring back a visible deterrent, and if necessary enforce a zero-tolerance on our roads with the resources needed to deliver such a solution. It’s amazing how well people are capable of driving with just a little persuasion!

As a HATO very good point.

The one thing is that people are just idiots.
Spent all night on the road with no problems , eye balled the smash on the M40 N/B.
Pull out of work and start driving away, stupid local taxi driver comes bombing around the corner at easily 60-70 mph (30 limit) Tries to overtake me before the T-junction , overcooks it ends up in the wrong lane after nearly rear ending the car in front of me as he attempted to cut in ( If he did the car in front would have been re-arranged).I turn left in the correct lane whilst he has to wait and then he starts with the main beam when he pulls in behind me …
Yep it’s my fault your driving is appalling and you are a complete idiot.
Next time I go to pull out I will call the taxi firm to see if they have any of there drivers on final approach . :laughing:

paul@midway:
The one thing is that people are just idiots.
Spent all night on the road with no problems , eye balled the smash on the M40 N/B.
Pull out of work and start driving away, stupid local taxi driver comes bombing around the corner at easily 60-70 mph (30 limit) Tries to overtake me before the T-junction , overcooks it ends up in the wrong lane after nearly rear ending the car in front of me as he attempted to cut in ( If he did the car in front would have been re-arranged).I turn left in the correct lane whilst he has to wait and then he starts with the main beam when he pulls in behind me …
Yep it’s my fault your driving is appalling and you are a complete idiot.
Next time I go to pull out I will call the taxi firm to see if they have any of there drivers on final approach . :laughing:

A perfect example of the taxi having the priorities in the wrong order.

came up from dover last night and guess what, LHD Volvo LT Plates side swiped a car on the M20 then at the Dartford toll booths a LHD DAF With SK plates totalled a people carrier when will the vosa and the goverment pass a law to keep these dirty low lifes out before they kill even more innocent familes,

V8 Passion:
came up from dover last night and guess what, LHD Volvo LT Plates side swiped a car on the M20 then at the Dartford toll booths a LHD DAF With SK plates totalled a people carrier when will the vosa and the goverment pass a law to keep these dirty low lifes out before they kill even more innocent familes,

I suppose one way to prevent this would be for the UK to drive on the same side as the rest of europe etc :exclamation: :bulb: :question: