Do Accidents Just Happen?

Conor:
I drive down the road, a steering component fails due to an unforseeable defect, I pile into a motorway bridge as I’ve no control over steering and cannot stop in time. I’ve had a collision, am I to blame, is the mechanic who examined the part in the last safety check and could see nothing wrong to blame, is the manufacturer’s QC who could see nothing wrong to blame?

You, the driver you are not to blame for the collision.
The mechanic probably isn`t to blame for the collision.
Possibly the designer is at fault, or possibly a fault in manufacturing quality control.

Or just possibly it is an “accident” out side of human control.
Yep, could be.

Seems to me, it`s better to mislabel one accident as a collision, rather than mislabel thousands of avoidable collisions as accidents.
Better to think and work on the premise it is an avoidable collision, and not some unavoidable accident; so look to do things better, not quietly accept the (falsely) perceived inevitable.

stu675:
Would your No Claims Bonus be affected?

Apparently underwear may be affected by accidents? :smiley:

bigdave789:
Is a crèche a traffic accident in Belgravia?

:smiley:

Conor:
I drive down the road, a steering component fails due to an unforseeable defect, I pile into a motorway bridge as I’ve no control over steering and cannot stop in time. I’ve had a collision, am I to blame, is the mechanic who examined the part in the last safety check and could see nothing wrong to blame, is the manufacturer’s QC who could see nothing wrong to blame?

I would think that a steering defect that is so significant as to cause a total failure would have had indicators leading up to it. So either, as the driver you noticed excess play but ignored it, or the mechanic who overlooked it during a routine maintenance check. A human would ultimately bear responsibility for the eventual failure.