RTA/RTC

can anyone tell me the technical differance between a road traffic accident and a road traffic collision as i have never heard of an RTC and police have been in touch with my gaffer for my details for an RTC that i was supposedly involved in 2 months ago which i have no clue about so need to know the differance

Not sure what the difference is but this is the definition of an RTC as taken from a Police website.

By definition, a road traffic collision is where a mechanically propelled vehicle (eg a car, lorry or motorbike) on a public road or other public place (e.g. a car park open to the public) causes damage to someone else’s property or vehicle, or any other person or animal is injured. (animal is limited to: horse, cattle, ■■■, mule, pig, sheep, goat or dog)."

Maybe an RTA involves moving vehicles and a RTC is when a moving vehicle cause damage to a stationary vehicle, or property as defined above.

Either way talk to Paul B, quick.

Salut, David.

No difference whatsoever. Merely this Governments continuing efforts to redesign our language.

Political correctness gone stupid. :unamused:

Kent Police website:-

RTA : Road Traffic Act, 1988 or 1999.

RTA : Road Traffic Accident (superseded by RTC).

RTC : Road Traffic Collision (Crash).

they probably want to differentiate accident and act

FNG

You might be better off calling it an “UTA” cos thats where is sounds like you are about to get shafted, If Paul b’s expierence is anything to go by. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

This change came from the Police earlier in the year. Basically people where loseing/winning compo claims because the poice where calling the incidents RTA’s (road traffic accidents). Now technically and 99% of the time those collisions are the fault of one driver and therefor not an accident so the police took advice and changed them to RTC’s (road traffic collision)!

The Ambulance and Fire services in most areas have now followed suit!

Hope that clears it up a bit!.. and makes sense!

Speak to Pepipoo as well.
Safespeed may be of some help as well.
There is also traffic-answers.

the latter two sites also have a goodly number of experienced and fair traffic plods on there as well. Don’t know about Pepipoo.

Super Dan:
The Ambulance and Fire services in most areas have now followed suit!

Correct…apparently its not “an accident” until its been proven as just that, an accident. …so its now called as an RTC (collision) until otherwise proven.

Dratsabasti:
Speak to Pepipoo as well.
Safespeed may be of some help as well.
There is also traffic-answers.

the latter two sites also have a goodly number of experienced and fair traffic plods on there as well. Don’t know about Pepipoo.

I’m banned from Traffic-Answers

Seemingly, they took exception to my forthright responses.

Even though further posts totally endorsed my comments. Their loss. Not mine.

An accident is something that could not be reasonably foreseen or unexpected event. Therefore there can be no such thing as a Road Traffic Accident it is always someones fault.

Well you can say that about anything,

I mean take a tyre blow out from a brand new tyre for example (it’s been known to happen), this can easily be enough to make some one lose control of their vehicle.

Yet who’s fault is it?

If a driver has checked his tyres condition and pressure daily, is it the tyre manufacturers fault? or the fault of the highways agency for not checking roads for debris? or someone spreading debris?

Depends how far you want to go looking for blame.

TBH though most road acidents are blameworthy towards someone.