R.T.A's on motorway's and BBC reporting

Has anyone noticed that when the beeb reports a traffic problem it is a wagon has had a collission at junction ? on the M?, I wonder why.
never a reason why has that wagon had a bump there, who or what caused it
If this was reported . ie Mr mondeo caused another vehicle to swerve and loose controll at so and so, he has been charged and will be prosicuted
If that was reported maybe people would pay more attention.
Does Joe Public think that a driver just gets to a certain point on a given motor way then just thinks to himselfe " Ah this looks like a good spot I think I will roll over here

I look at it this way. It’s alot like the difference between shootings in this country and America.
In New York, they’re such a common event that they rarely make the press. In this country, they’re so rare they make the headlines.

Same with cars and lorries. Car accidents are so common they don;t make the press yet lorry accidents are so rare that they do. Also as well, a lorry accident tends to be more spectacular and therefore newsworthy. “44 tonne lorry in accident” sounds far more dramatic than “two cars hit each other”.

Conor:
Car accidents are so common they don;t make the press yet lorry accidents are so rare that they do. Also as well, a lorry accident tends to be more spectacular and therefore newsworthy. “44 tonne lorry in accident” sounds far more dramatic than “two cars hit each other”.

thats sounds about right, and also people die every day an all, but it dont make the papers unless it’s some so-called ■■■■■■■ v.i.p! :imp:

Its the same as “men have more accidents than women”, putting aside the fact that all or most of the female T’Neters, i would suspect are very competent drivers. May be men drive more miles than women, or tend to drive on the family holiday and youths are in many cases a nightmare, but women have a lot of minor scrapes that dont go to insurance. these small points dont get shouted about, that brings us back to the HGV’s causing accidents, or at least apparently being news worhty :wink:

eddie snax:
Its the same as “men have more accidents than women”, putting aside the fact that all or most of the female T’Neters, i would suspect are very competent drivers. May be men drive more miles than women, or tend to drive on the family holiday and youths are in many cases a nightmare, but women have a lot of minor scrapes that dont go to insurance. these small points dont get shouted about, that brings us back to the HGV’s causing accidents, or at least apparently being news worhty :wink:

That shut the missus up. :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

I think last time I saw the stats, it was Men average an accident every 39,000 miles and Women every 37,000 miles, but as men average more miles driven per year and the accidents cost the insurance more money then they are a worse risk for an insurance company, therefore higher premiums.

Lorries get more coverage on the news, because a lorry incident can normally cause more chaos than a car. You can quickly recover an overturned car, but recovery of a truck can take many hours and close major routes.

Tug:
never a reason why has that wagon had a bump there, who or what caused it

We dont look for a cause in this country we just look for someone to blame and the L.G.V. driver is an easy target because noone likes him in the first place.

My thoughts on the original post are that
Wagon have accidents on or near motor way slip roads for a reason they dont just pick that spot, if some one caused an accident by bad driving they should be prosicuted and that prosicution publisized as a deterant to others

I’ve said before that here should be cameras on every motorway junction (on and off) then people could see clearly why a lorry has swerved or overturned. :imp: :imp:

No matter how good your observation is if some mallet head is going to go straight from lane 3 onto the slip road inches in front of you it will make you jump!!!

People behind may have to brake harsh etc etc - let’s get to the original cause and educate people

:unamused: :unamused: Better shut up I feel a soap box situation coming on :wink: :wink:

If car drivers re-read the Highway Code in relation to motorways there would be less accidents…!!!

The dotted line on slip roads is in fact a give way line…!!!

I will not give way to anyone on slip lanes …!!! Be Warned…!!! if lane 2 is busy.

It is not my responsibilty to slow down on motorway to allow Mr/Mrs Joe Car-driver to join motorway…
However, if lane 2 on motorway is clear i will pull over to allow them to join…

Logistics Loader:
If car drivers re-read the Highway Code in relation to motorways there would be less accidents…!!!

I will not give way to anyone on slip lanes …!!! Be Warned…!!! if lane 2 is busy.

It is not my responsibilty to slow down on motorway to allow Mr/Mrs Joe Car-driver to join motorway…

There going to be a new bit in the highway code.
It states

"Any incident involving a lorry or where a lorry might be near, or has been or might be in the future, will be deemed as the lorry drivers fault unless the driver is able to get the legal team that defended OJ Simpson and Micheal Jackson, In such cases the Police and VOSA will not prosecute because that would mean actually working at a case.

Dogmanbodie:
I’ve said before that here should be cameras on every motorway junction (on and off) then people could see clearly why a lorry has swerved or overturned. :imp: :imp:

No matter how good your observation is if some mallet head is going to go straight from lane 3 onto the slip road inches in front of you it will make you jump!!!

People behind may have to brake harsh etc etc - let’s get to the original cause and educate people

:unamused: :unamused: Better shut up I feel a soap box situation coming on :wink: :wink:

well said. i couldnt agree more. it really gets on my nerves when you see idiotic driving but cant do anything about it

Logistics Loader:

Why is it that car drivers in Britain seem to be the worst by far in all the European countries I have been to for coming down a slip road, often down hill and despite their cars much greater capacity for speeding up, they will proceed down the slip road at 55mph, level with you and only at the last minute realise what situation they are in. I’m all for moving into lane two to let people out, but there comes a point where certain drivers take the urine, the before mentioned scenario is one of them, if they can’t be bothered to drive properly, I can’t be bothered to move over, simple as.

I always try and move over to let a truck out, or if there are numerious cars coming onto the motorway. But, there is no excuse for a moron driving a car, with no other vehicle infront of him or her, to not use the slip road for its purpose and instead match the speed of a slow moving truck, hover by the side of it, and expect it to then move out.

muckles:
There going to be a new bit in the highway code.
It states

"Any incident involving a lorry or where a lorry might be near, or has been or might be in the future, will be deemed as the lorry drivers fault unless the driver is able to get the legal team that defended OJ Simpson and Micheal Jackson, In such cases the Police and VOSA will not prosecute because that would mean actually working at a case.

I thought for a minute that you were telling the truth, then i read the last line “In such cases the Police and VOSA will not prosecute because that would mean actually working at a case.” now that is a joke :laughing: :wink:

I’ve an idea, might help to cut police numbers and save taxes. If we posted advanced route schedules to police forces in the areas that we would be passing through, then when an accident occurs they could just match up the likely candidate, “your nicked” style, save any of that tiresome PACE nonsence, therefore no time wasted actually leaving the nick to do thourogh investigation, and less plod required. thats some of your black hole sorted Mr Brown, now if we got rid of the French that would sort out the Euro budget :wink:

Or just link DVLA to the local nick, so as soon as you apply for your licence, plod turn up and nick you for even thinking about driving a truck.

muckles:
Or just link DVLA to the local nick, so as soon as you apply for your licence, plod turn up and nick you for even thinking about driving a truck.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: