Double Manning - Feet on Dash

Hello,

I’m a relatively new driver doing double manning/night trunking.

My experienced colleague likes to sleep with his feet up on the dash whilst I’m driving.

His legs block the lower down wide angle mirror which is kind of more useful at night because marker lights are more visible in that one and there is a white light on the back that shines on the road. Also the left corner of the windscreen is a bit obscured which kind of makes it harder to judge how far things are from left corner when do manoeuvres, I know there is a mirror up there but I feel like it reduces visibility too much. This manoeuvres are already challenging for me.

Do many drivers do this on long trips? Should I say something or try to get used to it? Though he probably won’t like it.

Bit worried about alienating myself as he is helping me learn the job.

What would people do if they were in my boat? Do many people do this when they are not driving?

Thanks.

If my passenger put their feet up on my dash they’d be getting a heavy object interfacing with their kneecaps. It’s a no no.

the maoster:
If my passenger put their feet up on my dash they’d be getting a heavy object interfacing with their kneecaps. It’s a no no.

Totally agree.
But theenme are not newbies any more. :smiley:

For the OP remember that although it is easier to get on with other workers, they aren`t all going to become our best buddies.

Ask nicely for him to remove his feet.
If he doesnt then youve got (as a newbie) a problem, but you do need to make a firm point.
Dont put up with "second best" regards your vision when youre driving.

the maoster:

Tell him that if you were to crash then his kneecaps would likely be going through his eye sockets.

Tell him to move his feet, don’t be sheepish about it. There’s no way I’m driving with compromised vision.

Plus, how’s he supposed to be coaching you on the road if he’s asleep?

If you were to end up in court after an accident, imagine what a barrister would ask you in the witness box.

Barrister: Why didn’t you see the car in your nearside wide-angled mirror?

You: My colleague had his feet up obscuring it.

Barrister: Did you ask him to remove his feet?

You: No, I didn’t want to offend him.

Barrister: No further questions.

If it’s temporary, I’d endure it especially if you have a feeling he ‘‘won’t like it’’ if you asked him not to

If it’s long term I’d try to talk to him about it in a firm, yet non-offensive way but maybe not right away, in a week or 2

There is another option…

When he’s driving put your feet on the dash and see what he says!!!

Plus who has signed the keys out for the lorry? Whoever it is, is in control and responsible for any damage, exterior and interior!!

I feel your dilemma. I had a similar situation when I was a second driver on a run of 3 days & 2 nights to Scotland. For a Danish company. The problem was the main driver would not wash while we were away. The smell of BO & actual sweaty bum was stomach turning. He was an obese type & very sweaty & the smell of faeces used to transfer via sweat down his arse crack to the drivers seat so when I sat on the seat [which incidentally was all torn somehow making it feel even more unclean] my jeans seat used to pick up his pong. At night on the top bunk I used to try & keep my nose as close to the slightly open side window to avoid actually retching from the really sour stench! I endured it for about a year [because I was a newbie driver & the money was good & it suited me at the time because the job was enjoyable] but one day I mentioned it to my boss & the other driver I went with for the other half of the week & they both insisted I must tell this bloke about it. So I did. We stopped at a services for the night & I asked politely if he would mind having a wash. He asked why & I told him about the pong. What was his reaction? He cried. Yep a big hairy arsed trucker cried like a baby. But he did get his wash bag & go in for a wash. Then he attacked me. Not at that moment but he obviously bore a grudge, he went a bit quiet & next day he got me up against the side of the trailer by my neck & we had a bit of a scuffle. However he did from then on go for a wash [never a shower]. Which was a bit better.

Been there, appreciate the awkwardness, but you really can’t just put up with it. “Do us a favour mate, shift your feet - you’re blocking the mirror from where I am, and I need all the help I can get!” should do it.

Wait till he’s well asleep the at the top of your voice shout " Aargh oh my got we’re going to crash !", he will be your mate for life !

not

Show him…

This thread.

Lucy:
Been there, appreciate the awkwardness, but you really can’t just put up with it. “Do us a favour mate, shift your feet - you’re blocking the mirror from where I am, and I need all the help I can get!” should do it.

Slightly different situation, in the eighties I worked for a brick merchant driving an F86. My teenage son often came with me on day runs during the school holidays. This particular day he’d asked if his pal could come with us,
I was ok with that so called back home to pick them up. As they walked over to the motor I heard my son telling his pal, whatever you do DON’T put your feet up on the dashboard or we’ll both be walking home! He still mentions it occasionally. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: regards Kev.

Just say to him “shift your feet mate, I can’t see f @ck all out the mirrors”
If he refuses, as soon as he’s asleep, tap the brakes and jolt him awake, repeat as many times as required until he gets the message

Lucy:
but you really can’t just put up with it. “Do us a favour mate, shift your feet - you’re blocking the mirror from where I am, and I need all the help I can get!” should do it.

This is the way to go, there’s no need to be rude or obnoxious about it, just politely ask him to put his feet down because he’s obscuring your view through the mirror and window, there’s every chance that he doesn’t even realise he’s causing you a problem.

Ffs man, just ask him politely to get his ■■■■ feet down. :unamused: why make a drama out of it.?

As for the guy travelling with the dirty ■■■■■■■ with BO and a rancid arse, :open_mouth: why did you even pull out of the yard with him minging like that?..let alone have a night out in the same cab. :open_mouth:
And then for him to attack you :open_mouth: …totally out of order.
If he was a big fat obese ■■■■, he’d also be slow, a swift knee in the knackers and he’d have gone down like a bag of s***e . :bulb:

Is it just me or what?? :unamused:

It is a DASHBOARD !!! Not a FOOT STOOL…

Go back to the time of horse and carriages, a carriages had a piece of wood (BOARD) on the front to act as a barrier against dirt and stones protecting the driver / occupants occupants. When a horse kicked up said stones and dirt it was often referred to being “dashed up”.
So the board on the front gave protection form the horses dashing, Hence DASHBOARD.

I worked for a company many years ago and 1 of the drivers was asleep in the passenger seat with his feet on the dashboard right up until the part where the lorry crashed and his left leg ended up trapped between the cab and the road. He never walked properly after that and never drove anything bigger than an automatic car.

ETS:
If it’s temporary, I’d endure it especially if you have a feeling he ‘‘won’t like it’’ if you asked him not to

If it’s long term I’d try to talk to him about it in a firm, yet non-offensive way but maybe not right away, in a week or 2

Temporary or not tell him straight its NO NO if he argues about it report it to management.

buy some itching powder and sprinkle it over him/down neck once he nods off . be suprised if he lays in that position for long . Then casually mention it was on the radio about a rise in the number of tick bites this year