Wincanton vacancy - what’s the catch?

Just seen this ad come up and it seems too good to be true.

The pay is pretty decent for the area, optional weekend work and those bonuses seem quite lucrative.

So my question is what’s the catch and has anyone had any dealings with Wincanton and/or bonuses like this before?

the wages dont work out. even if you are paid the full 45 hours a week with either your breaks paid or you are actualy expected to be at work 50 hours per week (nothing wrong with that just dishonest to say its 45 hours) the total yearly wage is 30,195 not the advertised 31,402.80.

That’s Wincanton? The joining fee makes me think that it’s probably an agency looking for drivers to fulfill their contract with Wincanton.

Of course maybe Wincanton do offer joining fees “subject to certain terms and conditions” of course, but I’d be surprised.

the maoster:
That’s Wincanton? The joining fee makes me think that it’s probably an agency looking for drivers to fulfill their contract with Wincanton.

Of course maybe Wincanton do offer joining fees “subject to certain terms and conditions” of course, but I’d be surprised.

uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=cf00 … count%3D31

Have a look for yourself, definitely them.

Their own website is advertising this position too.

The catch? There’ll be more than one…

They lie at the interview.
The corporate organisation means that planning is worse than a monkey with a crayon.
You are up to your neck in corporate and H&S mandates, which only apply to you. The company can override/ignore the rules if it suits them .
Not sure about Cannotwin as a whole, but when I worked for them, payroll was outsourced to Crapita, and wrong every month.

Planning is a joke. You really need to be good at turning up for work, and not caring about your work.

I’ll give credit whre credit is due. They provided some very good work boots.

£600 a week sounds poor to me after all the pay rises that were handed out last year , as does £13 ph , I’d certainly not describe it as too Good to be true , should be better sounds more like it

cooper1203:
the wages dont work out. even if you are paid the full 45 hours a week with either your breaks paid or you are actualy expected to be at work 50 hours per week (nothing wrong with that just dishonest to say its 45 hours) the total yearly wage is 30,195 not the advertised 31,402.80.

13.42 x 45 x 52 equals 31,402.80.
Wincanton do the pallatised bagged sugar out of Wissington where this job is advertised. They had a piece in the local paper a few months ago about how the Wissy contract is good for women who want to drive for a living and how Wincanton can accomodate your work/home balance.

Class 2 for brakes is £31649+£1500attendance bonus , mon- fri with 1 sat in 4 , Just sent me figures

dozy:
Class 2 for brakes is £31649+£1500attendance bonus , mon- fri with 1 sat in 4 , Just sent me figures

Yeah but on that job you’re doing crappy multi-drop corner shop kerbside deliveries handballing the stuff into the store with a sack barrow. You’re not driving from A to B, opening curtains, getting tipped, driving back to base.

dozy:

How the hell do you make that comparison? :open_mouth: :smiley:

dozy:
£600 a week sounds poor to me after all the pay rises that were handed out last year , as does £13 ph , I’d certainly not describe it as too Good to be true , should be better sounds more like it

For West Norfolk that is above average for the area. On my Indeed page last night GeBe transport wanted a tramper at £12ph and Carter Haulage at £11ph.

msgyorkie:

dozy:

For West Norfolk that is above average for the area. On my Indeed page last night GeBe transport wanted a tramper at £12ph and Carter Haulage at £11ph.

what the hellwas i on there god knows what happened i just worked it back none of the figgures add up so i cant even claim a typo

drover:

dozy:

How the hell do you make that comparison? :open_mouth: :smiley:

The bloody comparison is your doing class 2 which is normally classed as less pay than class 1 , it’s as near as dam it mon - fri , no weekends , for more money !!!

msgyorkie:

dozy:

I live in Lincolnshire which was always classed as the lowest of the low pay , and the jobs I see / applied for are more than £600 pw

Conor:

dozy:

Yeah but on that job you’re doing crappy multi-drop corner shop kerbside deliveries handballing the stuff into the store with a sack barrow. You’re not driving from A to B, opening curtains, getting tipped, driving back to base.

I bet though youlll be doing loads more hours for wincanton than you will be doing for brakes , brakes job is nigh on mon - fri , I bet that wincanton job isn’t , no attendance bonus for wincanton , that’s worth another £30 a week .
And as you well know , every time there’s a mention of Lidl , Aldi self tipping on here 99% say they love the exercise , bores them to tears driving up & down motorways
I know a few who took class 2 at brakes as that all that was available , and stayed on it when offered class 1
Anyway nice to see the pills are working , replying in a reasonable fashion instead of a load of abusive bile , keep it up !!!

msgyorkie:

dozy:

I obviously don’t know area , but a quick search brought up
David Wilson 40-48 k
Glover agriculture , upto £42 k
Star trans ( 12 hr shifts ) £39972
Ad McDonald 38-40 k
All nigh on £10k , £200 pw more than wincanton

From experience of employing their detritus, they take your brain out at the induction, and you don`t get it back when you leave :unamused:

Shocking quality with ridiculous interpretations of tacho regulations [basically work-shy tossers] :blush:

Not too sure how they all got through, but they were poor, and now all gone to pastures new :wink:

dozy:

msgyorkie:

dozy:

David Wilson 40-48 k
Ad McDonald 38-40 k

Wilson, Glover and McDonald most certainly include night out money. The Star job advertises @ 39k but looking into the ad you can see it’s actually £33800, and if it’s based on 12 hours a day that’s a whopping £10.83 ph!!

dozy:

msgyorkie:

dozy:

David Wilson 40-48 k
Ad McDonald 38-40 k

Dave Watson at 40 - 48k do similar work to what I do and to get 40 to 48k you will be working weekends and nighshifts and the night out money is on that figure.
Glover is about 3 miles from me and again that is with max out hours.

You need to steer clear of the ceiling figure and instead find out what the hourly rate is.
Im not defending Wincanton but £13.46ph for West norfolk is a healthy figure.