Wincanton? Advice

Does anyone here work or know anyone that works for Wincanton, I am awaiting the official offer after an interview from Wincanton driving for Argos. The set up seemed pretty good but It would be nice to get an insiders view, especially with the old WTD changing in March. how does that affect overtime etc…as the contract will be for a 45 hour week plus overtime.

Thanks

ask cbr-si.

he works for them, for morrisons.

As with any of the biggies like wincanton/exel, having worked for them both.
Money always seems to be better, kit well maintained, tight on healt and safety laws etc, of the jobs ive had on wincanton and exel, you are not rushed, just get on with the job, they have there faults like any company, but id recomend them.
Its always difficult when someone asks about wincanton or exel etc, as they have so many contracts and they are run by different managers etc so there are lots of differences between sites.
With regards to the WTD and the 45 hours plus overtime, this will no doubt be going through the process of the union fighting for a good salary for the 48 hours, so you should come off ok.

as someone said, each site/contract/manager is different even within Wincanton’s. I’ve been there about 16 weeks and no problems. The transport office is fairly clueless - I got signed off probation this week instead of week 13 as the manager ‘forgot’. The job itself is easy away, no rush they prefer a legal and safe drive rather than get it there asap no matter what. The kit is ok, but ours is Morrisons stuff so not top spec. Pension scheme seems good too. We’ve recently had some family problems and the management have been really good, letting me book 2 days holiday at 22.00 the day before.
TBH I’d prefer to stay with them for quite a few years, but I dont think Morrisons will have them for any longer than necessary (inherited from Safeways but Mr Morrison hates paying outside firms for a job the firm can do itself).

HTH

Si

CBR_SI:
as someone said, each site/contract/manager is different even within Wincanton’s.

as a wincanton driver, there seems to be no real comparision between sites inc, wages, hours, start time etc. as this is governed by each indevidual site contract for the customer, contracts come, contracts go, (as the folks at the milton keynes hub have found out - theyre on 90 days notice of closure). but as previously said, the kits decent basic spec, generally well maintained, (any faults are quickly fixed by the on site VMU ). but very impersonnel as you dont have the same truck day in day out, so keeping a TV, night out kit, etc in the cab isnt an option, so you end up lugging it in/out before/after your shift, Im given a fixed start time which by the site agreement can only be moved 1 hr eitherway, so I may end up working a 15hr shift, then reducing to get back onto my start time the next day . but that suits me especially if i do 15hrs thursday, and want to get home early on a friday as my last shift as i did this week.
Im normally, given my run sheet and the keys and booking times for RDCs and left to my own devices, if im running late, i phone the office and they will sort any re-bookings out, the only gremlin is P.O.A. as I can find myself waiting for paperwork after tipping, especially if I tipp at morrisons / safeway (3 -5 hrs isnt uncommon) but the bunks comfy and the nite heater works aned the radios are set to knock off after 1hr so you know its time to go back into the RDC office to see if they`ve done you paperwork yet :wink: