What’s the best move for a hgv driver before a recession?

Anyone have any idea what the Hgv industry is like during a recession? Seems we are heading for another in the near future.

I’m currently in the construction industry driving a concrete mixer. However I spoke to someone the other day that offered to get me a job driving for Wincanton (5k more than what I’m already on) delivering for wickes. Am I better to stay put or take a dive ? Said it was 6month probation but I don’t really think you get job security until you’ve worked 2 years continuously.

I think it was 07-2010 the last recession ( too young to know too much about it) I fell like the obviously safe thing to is stay. But maybe some of you will abit more or have lived through the last big recession.

Can anyone lend a little advice or even give me a history lesson or something?? Maybe you know what was or is the safest industry to be in during a big recession?

Don’t listen to the media , that’s how these things unravel .
Fuel shortage blah blah for all of about 4 days due to people panicking after listening to the media .
Wasn’t there going to be mass unemployment after the pandemic,still waiting for that one . Take no notice and just do what you want to do and think is right for you .
Oh I’m waiting for the housing market to crash along with 5ft of snow and the hottest summer for decades .
Think you get my drift

The safest place to be in our industry is in food distribution, staple foods not luxury.

What happened in the last recession is that previously solid jobs went west, lots of redundancies and no decent full time jobs to be had, so you were at the mercy of agencies paying around £9 an hour in 2009, that was straight through all hours, you might get a tenner an hour by 2011.

Anyone’s guess what’s coming now, what with everything that’s happened and now our very own Bunter who appears to think he’s the re-incarnation of one Winston Churchill (more worrying still is that whole swathes of our population believe he is :open_mouth: ) trying his best along with the US deep state and others to provoke a full scale war with Russia.

You can’t really guess if it’s going to be a recession, generally you dont know until its happened and the figures come out although you may feel it and basing things on the last recession won’t cut it as we’re in a different place now.

Personally I think this next one is the one where we’ll see people really cut back on non essential things like DIY projects, home improvements and so on.

Ultimately the pounds in peoples pockets will have to stretch much further so its about identifying what those pounds have to get spent on rather than things that could be done without.

So I’d echo what Juddian says and plump for food. No matter what people need to eat. Food/supermarket work is pretty much a sure fire thing I reckon.

I wouldn’t be concerned about relying on Wickes for work. Giving up on £5k pay rise means you definitely lose out!

Thesuperiorone:
Anyone have any idea what the Hgv industry is like during a recession? Seems we are heading for another in the near future.

But maybe some of you will abit more or have lived through the last big recession.

Can anyone lend a little advice or even give me a history lesson or something??

As Happy Trucker said, ignore the media. The media do nothing but peddle fear ■■■■ because it keeps your eyeballs glued to their programmes and websites. This is what the BBC and other news media had to say about what would happen if we dared to vote to leave the EU. All they did was peddle the worst case scenarios. Can you recall in 2016 following the referendum the 820,000 job losses, a drop in growth of 6%, wages would drop 4%, house prices dropping 10% and a recession so bad it needed an emergency budget? No. And neither can I.

A recession requires two consecutive quarters of negative growth and that’s not forecast to happen. We’ve not even had one quarter of negative growth yet.

Make sure you’ve paid off all your debts, make sure you’ve got an emergency fund of 3-6 months living expenses. Do that and you’ll be fine.

Construction industry will be fine, many of the projects are already planned and funded. Fuel and food are the others. However none of that helps because for those whose sectors which do slow down they’ll be looking for jobs in the ones that havent.

The biggest factor though is the current shortage of 80,000 competent HGV drivers. Even a recession like 2008 won’t reduce demand so much that that shortage will go down to zero.

That’s how I remember a proper recession.
youtu.be/i9cjWVGy4GM
Trucks were a very rare sight on the roads during it mainly just essentials.Mostly no such thing as a safe job and the start of 5 years in the public sector as a council driver for me.

Judging by how busy DP world is in S’ton there’s no impending recession down here , they can’t get the boxes out quick enough

Carryfast:
That’s how I remember a proper recession.
youtu.be/i9cjWVGy4GM
Trucks were a very rare sight on the roads during it mainly just essentials.Mostly no such thing as a safe job and the start of 5 years in the public sector as a council driver for me.

See tipper drivers are still tailgating.

Juddian:
The safest place to be in our industry is in food distribution, staple foods not luxury.

What happened in the last recession is that previously solid jobs went west, lots of redundancies and no decent full time jobs to be had, so you were at the mercy of agencies paying around £9 an hour in 2009, that was straight through all hours, you might get a tenner an hour by 2011.

Anyone’s guess what’s coming now, what with everything that’s happened and now our very own Bunter who appears to think he’s the re-incarnation of one Winston Churchill (more worrying still is that whole swathes of our population believe he is :open_mouth: ) trying his best along with the US deep state and others to provoke a full scale war with Russia.

winterwatch.net/2020/08/the … lindemann/

This might be of interest to you brother Juddian.The vid-clip,top right.i’m sure will be. :open_mouth:

We had a recession in 92 as well,but there was always work for those who wanted it.I dont pay much attention to job security,I just go where the money is best.

Don`t rely on what the media or those so called experts predict is going to happen. You only have to look at their predictions of doom and gloom during the Covid pandemic and how much of it they got wrong. You might not get as many hours in,but you will more than likely still have a job.

manalishi:

Juddian:

winterwatch.net/2020/08/the … lindemann/

This might be of interest to you brother Juddian.The vid-clip,top right.i’m sure will be. :open_mouth:

Much obliged to my learned friend, have bookmarked for study.

manalishi:

Aay oop the harbinger…

Of doom appears to announce the end of the world…again.

I’m willing to bet you wear shinpads to bingo.

edit typo

No point moving from mixer work to delivering for wickes. Not for job security anyway. Building industry is always one of the first to shed jobs in a slow down.
I’m not convinced that we’re heading for a crash anyway, & even if we are we are in real unknown territory at the moment what with the covid recovery & the war. Totally unpredictable.

Like someone else said supermarket deliveries should be a safe bet, maybe… :question:

Thesuperiorone:

I’m currently in the construction industry driving a concrete mixer. However I spoke to someone the other day that offered to get me a job driving for Wincanton (5k more than what I’m already on) delivering for wickes. Am I better to stay put or take a dive ? Said it was 6month probation but I don’t really think you get job security until you’ve worked 2 years continuously.

I think it was 07-2010 the last recession ( too young to know too much about it) I fell like the obviously safe thing to is stay. But maybe some of you will abit more or have lived through the last big recession.

Can anyone lend a little advice or even give me a history lesson or something?? Maybe you know what was or is the safest industry to be in during a big recession?

the best way during a recession is driving a fridge to south europe. you have always food on the trailer and in the cab. just need a stove.
not good national as they seal the trailer and gracing isn’t allowed, and they give nothing to the driver.
remember driving italy- germany. every time police stopped me i had passenger side full food. safet me lots of money on fines :slight_smile: