Mirror cams (again)

I’ve seen two DAFs today from different companies with mirror cams but they also had standard mirrors fitted too. Anyone know why the overkill? My own theory which no doubt is wrong is that with the current microchip crisis maybe they can’t get them for the mirrorcams but are under that much pressure to supply trucks that they are fitting standard ones as a stop gap.

the maoster:
I’ve seen two DAFs today from different companies with mirror cams but they also had standard mirrors fitted too. Anyone know why the overkill? My own theory which no doubt is wrong is that with the current microchip crisis maybe they can’t get them for the mirrorcams but are under that much pressure to supply trucks that they are fitting standard ones as a stop gap.

I posted a while ago about some new daf’s I could have sworn had a mirror cam on the nearside and normal mirror on the offside.

Did you see mirror cams and normal mirrors on both sides or like me just one side of each?

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

There are some next gen daf’s with both mirrors and mirror cams.

^^^^ both sides mate.

It’s because DAF’t can’t get the screens so, they fit mirrors,till screens arrive, I’d rather manufacturer just left things alone, yet to hear anything positive about cameras at night,or backing into a dark building from daylight into dark.

I suppose mirror cam are more aero which will save fuel

But dafs are rubbish they do need a serious overhaul

TruckDriverBen:

O rly, that’s cute :unamused:

statista.com/statistics/322 … d-kingdom/

ETS:

TruckDriverBen:

Sales figures don’t determine how decent a truck is, most trucks are purchased or leased by bean counters and how good they are is irrelevant, it’s down to cost to buy/lease and expected reliability/cost to maintain.

biggriffin:
It’s because DAF’t can’t get the screens so, they fit mirrors,till screens arrive, I’d rather manufacturer just left things alone, yet to hear anything positive about cameras at night,or backing into a dark building from daylight into dark.

Looking at the drivers side screen on the Mercs I’ve passed they seem to be quite decent, if anything showing stuff you’d not be able to see in the dark with the naked eye or through a mirror and only visible because the screen can ramp up the brightness.

simcor:
Sales figures don’t determine how decent a truck is, most trucks are purchased or leased by bean counters and how good they are is irrelevant, it’s down to cost to buy/lease and expected reliability/cost to maintain.

Surely that’s the very definition of “good”, when applied to a piece of machinery bought to do a job of work…? :neutral_face:

We’ve got these mirror cams to look forward to in October when our new fleet of xf’s arrive , not a fan , much prefer mirrors , if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

ETS:

TruckDriverBen:

Dafs are pieces of cheap nasty ■■■■ hence why the big fleets run them and why your stats mean hee haw. I’m actually amazed anyone sings their praises bar driver comfort they are good for nothing except maybe if you like having Blackpool illuminations on your dash 365 days a year and not being able to pull a ■■■■ up a hill. 480 my hole. I don’t just drive one that’s been built on Friday our whole fleet is the same regardless of age, mileage. All crap. Burn the lot of them.

merc0447:
Dafs are pieces of cheap nasty [zb] hence why the big fleets run them and why your stats mean hee haw. I’m actually amazed anyone sings their praises bar driver comfort they are good for nothing except maybe if you like having Blackpool illuminations on your dash 365 days a year and not being able to pull a ■■■■ up a hill. 480 my hole. I don’t just drive one that’s been built on Friday our whole fleet is the same regardless of age, mileage. All crap. Burn the lot of them.

Still better than Renault/MAN/Mercedes/Iveco

Lucy:

simcor:

Surely that’s the very definition of “good”, when applied to a piece of machinery bought to do a job of work…? :neutral_face:

You know what I mean, in terms of a business cost they might be good, but in terms of driver comfort and usefulness can be absolute crap for a driver.