New gen daf xf mirror cam

I’ve been given a new gen daf xf with daf digital vision on it , we’ve got 6 and there’s another 14 to come , was very sceptical before I drove it and now after 2 weeks am having issues with the screens .

Personally I don’t think there fit for purpose , the passengers side screen aint as bad but the drivers side is shocking , and I know some of the other lads are having issues with clarity etc , we’ve raised our concerns with the tm and suggested maybe have normal mirrors fitted , to be fair he’s listened to us and is looking into it .

My question is , these trucks are 3 star rated for dvs , so does anybody know if having mirrors fitted and the screens taken out would change this rating ? And if so , means that they would have to get a full dvs kit fitted with the left turn warning and all that ?
On the other hand the blind spot mirror on the front corner is bang on .

Would also be interested into hearing what others think of the mirror cam , personally I hate them with a passion and am a believer of the phrase “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

Tia

I spent my first two weeks of driving after my test in mirror cam Merc Actros trucks. I found them excellent - day and night.

In very heavy rain, I initially thought they were rubbish - verging on dangerous - as the image was very blurred. Then I found that there were camera heating buttons that needed to be manually selected.

Now, when I drive conventionally mirrored trucks, I cannot say they are noticeable better nor worse - however, mirror cams remove the substantial blind spot that normal mirrors give approaching roundabouts.

I cannot imagine DAF’s implementation is much different - the cams and screens will all be coming from Tier 1 suppliers like Bosch, and LG.

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t comment on the Daf mirror cam as I’ve not tried one but I’m currently using an Actros with them and there shocking,I’ve never had a problem reversing into gaps and would usually put myself down as a decent get it anywhere sort of driver until getting this pile of rubbish,struggling to get into bays now,never seems to go in straight if using the cams,end up hanging out of the window and getting out and checking more often then not now,I cannot for the life of me think how these are fit for the road,if the camera fails it’s a recovery job most of the time.
Absolute rubbish design and I’m trying my hardest to swap back to a older model with mirrors…

Completely agree with everything you’ve said there yorkielad ,had a pretty straightforward reverse into a parking bay at sedgemoor on my first day with it and made myself look a right ■■■ :unamused:

Not being funny here, but make it known that you won’t be taking any vehicle out on the road if it isn’t fitted with mirrors, suggest anyone who doesn’t want these toys makes it clear before people who never have to get behind the wheel (and may well not even be licenced to drive one anyway) tick the no mirrors box on the truck order form, when they offer you the vehicle if its got cameras against your better judgement reject it, get together and write a letter which you all sign to that effect, course this does mean drivers sticking together.
Sticking together and saying no stops driver facing cameras in their tracks too.

We have mainly Actros units, one with cameras. The latest two new ones have real mirrors. I have heard (could be true!) that due to a shortage of chips they are currently not making cameras available.
I have made my views clear elsewhere on TNUK, but suffice it to say I absolutely hate cameras and have nothing good to say about them whatsoever.
We recently had a Daf XF demonstrator (in puke yellow - ughh!) with cameras. All I can say is that they are even worse than Mercedes’ travesty.
People keep saying that they get used to them after time. Is 18 months long enough? I still hate them. They are as much use as a chocolate teapot, and not even as good looking.

Been a while since I sat in a truck as moved over to coaches 8 years ago.

We had a prototype of the new Irizar i6 in our yard last month (i6 efficient) It has cameras and monitors rather than mirrors, they’ve also shortened the the drivers area on the new model so the A pillar is alot closer to the drivers seat. whist having a play with it with the MD of Irizar sat next to me, I told him as I wear glasses for reading, the offside monitor is blurry as it’s too close, but the nearside one is OK.
I told him I need to put my glasses on to look at the offside mirror, but then everything out the windscreen and the nearside is blurry, or see perfectly out the n/s and front without my glasses but everything blurry in the o/s.
I asked him if a focus adjuster could be fitted to which he said he’d feed it back to the R&D department and get back to me…

…fast forward to the bus & coach expo in Brum the other week, I catch up with him and ask him what R&D said, he Basically told me to get new glasses.