Mirror cam are yay or nay?

Im curious as to wat most of my truckin brothers think about those ■■■■■■ mirror cams. Imo its tippical germans tryin to reinvent the wheel but i dont know, wat do you’s think?

Never seen or used them, but I could never come to terms with the distorted view of reversing cameras, preferring to rely on proper, flat mirrors.
I’m a fan of the KISS principle, if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

No crap, driving Friday with cam mirrors. Terrible picture…Night time use is very bad [emoji107] can’t see ■■■■ all. but I got to get use to them all fleet will be cam mirrors

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

If you want mirrors you can have them all our 22 plate Actros have mirrors. They were loosing business

WheelsofCardiff:
If you want mirrors you can have them all our 22 plate Actros have mirrors. They were loosing business

I believe my lot are speccing proper mirrors on the next batch of crap they are buying, due to all the ag they have had with the last lot.

Would it better to have both until the tech beds in & drivers have adjusted to them.
Best of both worlds rather than the worst of one ■■

WheelsofCardiff:

Thats good to here as the company i work for have mostly merc actros and this year have ordered 10 spec edition 1 models an i just hope they are ordered without the mirror cams even though they come out with the spec out of the factory. Hopefully they sack them off an go with proper mirrors ffs #HOPEFULLY :stuck_out_tongue:

whisperingsmith:
Would it better to have both until the tech beds in & drivers have adjusted to them.
Best of both worlds rather than the worst of one ■■

Theres no need to have both, mirrors do it fine like they always have done. I do agree with the option of the nearside mirror cam as this actually is decent from what i have seen, no issues with it.

I’ve driven in both from merc, probs 2 years between the units, I have mixed views on them. Mirror cams show a grid when indicating in relation as to when the person behind you is which helps slightly. You do get more field of vision I find from the cameras and you can see out of the windows more without having to edge out due to the normal side mirrors. Annoyingly there a pain when someone has drls as the just blink in the screen and makes it look like they are flashing you.

They do fail, had one go in and out of failure while out on the road went all grainy and then on and off a few times to which it sorted itself out after a few mins. Cost to replace is espensive and when the system goes awol merc come out and install a normal mirror on the side. So yeah as much as the tech is good and removes that little blind spot at the mirrors but not worth it when they fail.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I quite like them to be honest. They’re not perfect and make somethings more difficult - such as lights flickering- but they also make other things easier - such as the wide angle when cornering etc.

My truck has mirrors. I started driving trucks with mirrors in 1986 and I’ve never looked back.

Don’t want one, would turn any job down if they tried issuing me with one.
Good luck to those who find them useful, nothing against them as such, just i have the choice and choose no.

Another one of the reasons I came off the road.
Festooned with gimmicky tech…thought up by the play station generation.

Harry Monk:
My truck has mirrors. I started driving trucks with mirrors in 1986 and I’ve never looked back.

:laughing: :laughing:

Whenever I see the words ‘mirror’ and ‘camera’ used together.
The first,.and obvious word that springs to my mind is…''WHY ? :neutral_face:

I see DAF are now fitting them also. :unamused:

Merc have a"virtual lightswitch"now. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: FFS

I only know this,because the one in the truck,I drove…was faulty.

One of the main reasons firms are going mirror cam are that most reps for truck manufacturers are using the fuel efficiency rubbish with the wind drag n all that.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

robroy:

Two words… fuel consumption.

Harry Monk:

robroy:

Ok…
But does it make THAT much difference though?..
Yep, I get the 100 trucks over a year thing, btw but my lot alone have lost a lot of running time over problems with these things,.which will surely counteract what they have saved I reckon.
Sounds like the same vein as pro cyclist racers shaving hairs off their legs for aerodynamic reasons to me,.what they save is like spitting in the ocean…

I had it down as (unnecessary) tech for tech’s sake, but I may be wrong.

Harry Monk:

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me when companies like the one I work for bleat on and on about fuel economy, efficient driving etc and then plan a start time one hour before the booking time at a place which is an hour away, and then book subsequent drops at 30 minute intervals and then wonder why some drivers get rubbish fuel economy.

They’ll spec anything that the salesman assures them will save 0.0009mpg over a year and then plan you right to the limit.