First Nightmare Moment! [Merged]

Punchy Dan:

Goff118:
Hi all,

I had my first proper nightmare moment on Sunday morning, when travelling down the A37 towards Midsomer Norton in a double decker artic…

All going swimmingly, until I meet a road closure at Temple Cloud (emergency repair on a gas leak I find out later)…

The closure is at google.com/maps/@51.3204386 … 384!8i8192

So I see the left turn sign towards Trident Works Industrial Estate and think that there must be an area to turn around in or divert back onto the A37 further down…

I follow the road and the lane gets narrower and narrower, until I arrive at this sight… google.com/maps/@51.3161186 … 384!8i8192

As you can imagine, I realise that I’m in trouble by this point, especially with the rest of the A37 traffic also in this area by now. My only hope was the yard on the left, so I’m trying to ring the numbers in the yard to get hold of somebody to open the gate to let me in. After a while of trying, one of the drivers coming through told me the yard owner lives just under the bridge, so after a little walk down to their house, they open the yard and help me turn around. After another 30 minutes or so I’m through the traffic back onto the A37 to work out how to get around the closure properly this time.

A tough lesson learnt (I should have pulled over on the A37 and checked my map for an easier place to turn without assuming), but how thankful was I for that yard!

I have checked on Google Maps again and I can’t see that I missed any signs for that bridge.

How common is it for bridges like this to not be signposted? I wonder if anybody else got stuck there that day due to that emergency road closure.

That’s how it is with minor roads there’s lots of bridges I come across that are not on my bridge map happens quite often.

Never happened to me,.and I use lots of back roads …obviously just been lucky. :smiley:
At least it’s made me think now anyway.