Black Friday.

A recent change in job has me pulling double deckers at 16ft plus for the first time and after 5 weeks it finally happened. The company I’m with, via agency, have maps for all destinations that avoid the low bridges but say that you have to be prepared to plan your routes if diverted and that scenario came to pass yesterday.

Been putting off getting the truckers atlas as, given the time of year, that’s a Christmas present sorted. I got to my first destination and had a look at the current map book to see if I could avoid the same exit route as I used to enter. Railway bridge found on the alternative way out so looked on google maps the street view wasn’t working so rather than take a chance accepted the extra 30 mins retracing the route I’d taken in. Going out a lane closed and [zb] missed the sign for the slip road I needed and come to traffic lights on a cross road junction. Ahead low bridge 14ft something, right 7.5 ton weight limit, u turns prohibited left turn restricted hours. Go left with a view to finding a roundabout or left and left again but no roundabout and un-inviting roads for about 2 miles then a sign to get me back to my target road. Follow that for about 1/2 a mile and come to 15ft height restriction.

Stop in the road, hazards on, with parked vehicles either side but 2 cars can still pass. With me in the way only single file cars can get by and a bus coming towards me. Wave those behind me past and back up about 15 yards to make enough room for the bus to pass and start to sweat. Forward is not an option so, have a walk down towards the sign to see if the adjacent car park is a turning option. No luck there so WTF to do now. The self righteous advice and mockery from the gathering you tube camera operators was hardly helping so found enough room to back into a side street and turn that way. Managed to get in in one but needed a shunt to get the unit round for the retreat and Mr “you shouldn’t be down here” has edged forward onto tarmac I need to use, closely followed by his army of followers so have to try and persuade him that him moving back will be the quickest end to this mess and I’m very, very sorry for holding him up. Repeat this for the 4 vehicles behind and I get out and start to retrace my steps, to a junction where I can run parallel with the road just on.

All goes well, get close to my target road which is next left and [zb] me another low bridge barely 10ft. Not to bad as I wasn’t fully committed so keep going till I get another sign which I can follow and eventually get back to the road with the lane closure on and this time get the slip road I needed in the first place.

So I made a mistake by missing the slip road, though the blaze of high intensity hazard lights masked the sign which was in the darkness behind them is my mitigation, went into a time restricted area and inconvenienced a few folks in the area for a short while but I didn’t hit any thing and no-one died.

I will not be looking forward to my next trip into London, at night, to mingle with the folks that have to endure that crap day in day out.

The new truckers atlas can’t come soon enough and I think a stand alone truck sat nav might have to be considered as, though i’m a late adopter of technology, a navigator on board could have saved me a lot of stress last night.

And breath.

You do what you have to do, screw everyone else.

Radar19:
You do what you have to do, screw everyone else.

Correct answer, if it had been me I would of done a u turn even if prohibited better than getting stuck somewhere and being able to turn

It would be a miserable copper who did you for an illegal u-turn given the options.

Well done for keeping your head, sorting it out, and getting outa there without damage.

Juddian:
Well done for keeping your head, sorting it out, and getting outa there without damage.

Black friday ffs,another trip to the dregs of human evolution,thanks giving,prom night,halloween a miasma of greed planet fouling tossery.Beam me up.

Wiretwister:
A recent change in job has me pulling double deckers at 16ft plus for the first time and after 5 weeks it finally happened. The company I’m with, via agency, have maps for all destinations that avoid the low bridges but say that you have to be prepared to plan your routes if diverted and that scenario came to pass yesterday.

Been putting off getting the truckers atlas as, given the time of year, that’s a Christmas present sorted. I got to my first destination and had a look at the current map book to see if I could avoid the same exit route as I used to enter. Railway bridge found on the alternative way out so looked on google maps the street view wasn’t working so rather than take a chance accepted the extra 30 mins retracing the route I’d taken in. Going out a lane closed and [zb] missed the sign for the slip road I needed and come to traffic lights on a cross road junction. Ahead low bridge 14ft something, right 7.5 ton weight limit, u turns prohibited left turn restricted hours. Go left with a view to finding a roundabout or left and left again but no roundabout and un-inviting roads for about 2 miles then a sign to get me back to my target road. Follow that for about 1/2 a mile and come to 15ft height restriction.

Stop in the road, hazards on, with parked vehicles either side but 2 cars can still pass. With me in the way only single file cars can get by and a bus coming towards me. Wave those behind me past and back up about 15 yards to make enough room for the bus to pass and start to sweat. Forward is not an option so, have a walk down towards the sign to see if the adjacent car park is a turning option. No luck there so WTF to do now. The self righteous advice and mockery from the gathering you tube camera operators was hardly helping so found enough room to back into a side street and turn that way. Managed to get in in one but needed a shunt to get the unit round for the retreat and Mr “you shouldn’t be down here” has edged forward onto tarmac I need to use, closely followed by his army of followers so have to try and persuade him that him moving back will be the quickest end to this mess and I’m very, very sorry for holding him up. Repeat this for the 4 vehicles behind and I get out and start to retrace my steps, to a junction where I can run parallel with the road just on.

All goes well, get close to my target road which is next left and [zb] me another low bridge barely 10ft. Not to bad as I wasn’t fully committed so keep going till I get another sign which I can follow and eventually get back to the road with the lane closure on and this time get the slip road I needed in the first place.

So I made a mistake by missing the slip road, though the blaze of high intensity hazard lights masked the sign which was in the darkness behind them is my mitigation, went into a time restricted area and inconvenienced a few folks in the area for a short while but I didn’t hit any thing and no-one died.

I will not be looking forward to my next trip into London, at night, to mingle with the folks that have to endure that crap day in day out.

The new truckers atlas can’t come soon enough and I think a stand alone truck sat nav might have to be considered as, though i’m a late adopter of technology, a navigator on board could have saved me a lot of stress last night.

And breath.

What the hell are people like yourself driving trucks for panic panic if you miss a turn, and just because you have a double decker is no reason to think and act like a ■■■■■■■■ and drive like a headless chicken, what the hell are you doing in the job i will even go one further and say how the hell did you get a job driving,
And you probably think your a professional driver, its called preparation and planning

Hmmmnn. Let’s see…load delivered intact and presumably on time. Truck not damaged. Nobody hurt. No bridge strike. Recognition of prohibited routes/adhering to road signs. And wages earned.

Sounds professional to me…

eagerbeaver:
Hmmmnn. Let’s see…load delivered intact and presumably on time. Truck not damaged. Nobody hurt. No bridge strike. Recognition of prohibited routes/adhering to road signs. And wages earned.

Exactly. The OP acted claimly and professionally to get out of the situation. He may of been a numpty for getting into said situation but least he recognised where he went wrong and rectified it.

eagerbeaver:

God help us all if you think thats professional the way the man was panicking in his head, there is no hope even for you if you think that

Don’t see much panic in acknowledging a mistake and then rectifying it personally.

In fact I would suggest that is indeed the epitome of professionalism.

nightline:

eagerbeaver:

God help us all if you think thats professional the way the man was panicking in his head, there is no hope even for you if you think that

With the amount of threads we see on here from the plant pot brigade trying to squeeze double deckers under 14 foot bridges, I say the OP acted very professionally, he could of quite easily hit that bridge but he recognised the height of his vehicle and got out of the situation without hitting said bridge. So what he missed the sign, he’s only human. How many times have you missed a sign or turn Mr Perfect?

Well done op, ignore the the I’m perfect and do not tolerate slight mistake brigade, we all make errors but staying cool,staying safe is where the skill comes in, and sharing the story is something the I’m perfect brigade never have the balls to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightline:

eagerbeaver:

Never found yourself in a tight situation and started flapping a bit ■■?
Suggest you change your username to Jammy Barsteward :unamused:

Radar19:

eagerbeaver:

Exactly. The OP acted claimly and professionally to get out of the situation. He may of been a numpty for getting into said situation but least he recognised where he went wrong and rectified it.

So if gets back without hiting anything and job done but only has three wheels left from hitting kerb on truck and gear box wrecked and the rest from panicking thats ok yes, that is very professional

Keep digging fella.

You will see Australia soon.

Baggie:

nightline:

eagerbeaver:

No i have never found myself flapping a bit

eagerbeaver:
Keep digging fella.

You will see Australia soon.

Is that your best intelligent answer you can reply with

nightline:

Baggie:

nightline:

eagerbeaver:

No i have never found myself flapping a bit

OK,fair enough,I am suitably impressed :wink:

You mean the ‘most’ intelligent answer? (If you are looking for an internet scrap I wouldn’t bother as I never engage the unarmed) :wink:

I will try and put it a different way for you as you’re erm…‘unique’.

Over the next 20 odd years of LGV driving I have left, if I make umpteen mistakes EVERY day but they don’t end up hurting anyone or damaging anything, I will consider that a very successful career. As I have yet to witness truck drivers being awarded medals for being perfect…