What would you do

What would you have done. Me I would closed the curtains.
Not me by the way.
youtu.be/9Y_E4dbGD24

If I was there first then the car would back off deffo
That has happened to me and the police made the car back off

Gotta be honest that’s a “keys out/feet up” moment until senseus restored…

fingermissing:
What would you have done.

It depends on how much time I had to spare, if I was in a hurry I might have backed up otherwise we’d be there a while.

Get out,.assess the situation, and the driver.
Is he an arrogant knob head?
Is he an inexperienced and/or nervous driver?
In either case put my professional driver pants on, smile, say ''Hiya mate, it’d be easier if you backed up than if I did.

If he was in the first category, and refuses, bite my tongue, resist the ‘‘No tolerance towards d/heads’’ condition that I suffer from, (*got to think about dash cams etc these days etc and the ■■■■ storm that could result from the Old Bill and the firm if you dragged the ■■■■■■ out of the car. :imp: :bulb: ) and just sit back in the cab,.and make a point.,feet on dash,.read the paper,.and watch the traffic build up.

Something similar happened on a back road in Cornwall a couple of years ago, the more traffic that built up, the more stick the guy got from the drivers of those vehicles and he was embarrased into backing up, making a orick of himself in the process.

Had similar experience on a country lane once delivering to a farm.
Some woman in a Merc coming toward me she just kept going came to a stop I got out said you need back up a few feet roads not wide enough for us both…if you back up a few feet it opens out . She was adimant I was in the wrong .
Refused to move I couldn’t move so sat there in my truck . After a few mins she gave up decided to basiaclly bury her car into the grass verge and hedges and force her way past. Could hear the hear the scratching of the tress on her paintworks… unbelievable.

Woman in car behind her had it all on dashcam gave me her details incase she put in a claim … but never heard a thing.

The logic of some drivers just amuse me at times

Near Ipswich…

When I drove for a Lincolnshire potato firm, I met a tractor and trailer coming the other way. I knew where he was going and he knew I was going to the farm he’d just come from. I got out and he said he’d back up and let me get going. I got back in and watched with growing despair as it became clear it was possibly his first ever attempt at backing the thing up.For nearly 5 long minutes he pushed and pulled with opposite steering lock randomly appearing and went absolutely nowhere. He just made a mess of the tarmac. The traffic had lost patience by now and horns were being blown. I got out and volunteered to back up which he agreed through his sweat covered face, that would be the best idea. I then had to argue my case with 5 grumpy car drivers who insisted I was breaking every traffic law known to man by being there. Almost 10 minutes later, the tractor drove past me and went off to his field. Two minutes later I pulled into the farm to be told, I’d be loaded when the tractor came back from the field.

What would I do? As others have said, hold your ground, get the paper (your tablet) out and just sit there.

If the police turned up the old guy would be done for having that L plate obscuring his vision. A bit of common sense would go a long way here.

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I had that in my car. I so wanted to deck the guy, except in that case it had been a car crash and the lane was coned off by the Police. I ended up reversing just to avoid the guy ramming me.

A shame the Police had left the scene (they were there not an hour earlier).

I did several years of bin wagon work so dealt with these kind of characters a lot. Most of the time I’d be considerate, but with some one like the driver in the video…

Definitely need to get out and speak to the car driver, point out the other vehicles being held up by his behaviour, include the other drivers by gesturing to the nobber holding them all up and shrugging - once he knows his neighbours might be against him it can prick his conscience.

Get your phone out and take a picture of his reg and the L plate, telling him it’s company policy to report all incidents and that he’s on dashcam.

Getting angry with these types makes them dig their heels in, but getting officious and quoting company H&S policy and other stuff really effs them off. :smiley:

For those that are terminally stubborn you can really have fun with them by quoting actual law, albeit with your own slight twist on it. I kept this little titbit on a sheet in our vehicle folder for those very special occasions:
“Under Regulation 106 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, it is an offence to Reverse a Motor Vehicle Unnecessarily on a Road. I think this is unnecessary so I’m just going to sit in me cab and wait for Plod to turn up, OK?” :laughing:

Couldn’t watch until the end. Things like that make my teeth itch! :imp:

No way I’d be backing up for him not in a million years.
Wouldn’t even contemplate getting out to talk to him what’s the point? Nice cup of tea & wait for plod

i dont know, probably get out the truck and talk to him and if he swears or whatever then i would get physical

It would be interesting to know how big a lorry he was in (could have been 7.5)
There is no way I would have reversed.

in this situation there is no point speaking to the driver as they are a learner maybe they cant reverse. Almost certainly not learnt to plan ahead or at least honed the skill. However, i would go and speak to the person supervising them and make them reverse the car if the learner couldnt.

Reminds me of a video a saw a few years back in a tunel with one lane. An old boy jumped the lights then refused to reverse. turned out he couldnt reverse when he finaly gave in he managed to hit everything in sight including the vehicle in front of him.

I would pretend to fall asleep face down on my HORN

cooper1203:
in this situation there is no point speaking to the driver as they are a learner maybe they cant reverse. Almost certainly not learnt to plan ahead or at least honed the skill. However, i would go and speak to the person supervising them and make them reverse the car if the learner couldnt.

Reminds me of a video a saw a few years back in a tunel with one lane. An old boy jumped the lights then refused to reverse. turned out he couldnt reverse when he finaly gave in he managed to hit everything in sight including the vehicle in front of him.

He is not a learner you can tell this from his reaction, also he is the only one in the car.

ETS:

The situation wouldn’t get me THAT excited tbh. :neutral_face:

robroy:

ETS:

The situation wouldn’t get me THAT excited tbh. :neutral_face:

youtu.be/6GFuTaNqUOo why not, this bloke did… :open_mouth: :laughing:

That’s the Tesco express at cinder hill which I’ve delivered to loads of times , you have to go round the back off pumps to tip the cages , pain in the ■■■ as there’s obviously cars on pumps / everywhere
Once I pulled up about a cars length behind a old chap , waiting for him to pull off so I could get round to tip , for whatever reason he panicked & reversed straight back into the tri , hit tyre more than anything , got out in a right state , I just said don’t worry it’s not done anything to the tri , but his bumper was hanging off , he just got in car & drove straight out onto 610 with bumper hanging off , poor chap , the manager then came out saying I’d hit him ( stupid cow ) , no idea what happened then as I just tipped & went , I assume ctv was looked at & that answered who did what
Daughter lives 5 mins from there & gets her fuel from there & got reversed into by a red corsa who said the daughter had hit her , insurance requested ctv & it was obvious who done what
One thing they should do is stop the turning right into garage off 610 when heading up towards m1 , should make them go on up to r/o a few 100 yrs and come back & turn in
Does make me laugh when the usual suspects tell whoever wants to listen that Tesco work is the best job out there , do a multi drop of that crap round notts , it’s do-able but there loads of jobs a sight easier than that crap