What would you do?

You see a few cars stopped in lane three and nobody is hurt.,do you position the truck at an angle to protect them so the cars can.be driven over in the hard shoulder to sort out the insurance for a minor bump or drive past and let the motorway grind to a halt or park up on the hard shoulder and walk in a safe gap to drive the car to the hard shoulder as the lass is too upset to move it and if you saw a police car chasing a suspect in your mirrors do you use the truck to block off the course or escape route to help out the police as in the usa the cops talk to drivers and ask for their help to stop the car chase.¿

toby1234abc:
You see a few cars stopped in lane three and nobody is hurt.,do you position the truck at an angle to protect them so the cars can.be driven over in the hard shoulder to sort out the insurance for a minor bump or drive past and let the motorway grind to a halt or park up on the hard shoulder and walk in a safe gap to drive the car to the hard shoulder as the lass is too upset to move it and if you saw a police car chasing a suspect in your mirrors do you use the truck to block off the course or escape route to help out the police as in the usa the cops talk to drivers and ask for their help to stop the car chase.¿

If I didn’t see it happen, I always just carry on, waste of time getting involved.

I would help if possible and my actions dont cause more problems, protecting my no claims would be a high priority.

I have spopped in lane 1 (m4) to help clear cars to hard shoulder but it is risky.

keep rolling :frowning:
sounds a bit heartless but if someone runs into the back of your trailer and gets killed you’ll be up for it,ring 999 and let them sort it

weeto:
If I didn’t see it happen, I always just carry on, waste of time getting involved.

Same here if i’ve not witnessed it why complicate things by getting involved.

Drive on. Anybody stupid enough to stop in lane 3 deserves all they get. I already have to drive for most people around me as well as myself, I’m not going to park for them too.

same for me I’m afraid. maybe pull up on the HS and see if I can help.
As for helping stop a car being chased by the police, how would you know that the car was being chased and not a plain police car responding to an incident elswhere?
Even if you could be sure and blocked the road, if the escapee then crashed into your truck and died how would you be fixed? Very very risky.

Can you be sued for doing first aid and they ended up in a wheelchair or injured from your actions as if you came to a motor biker do you take off his helmet to save a life or risk above scenario.

Scanner:
Drive on. Anybody stupid enough to stop in lane 3 deserves all they get. I already have to drive for most people around me as well as myself, I’m not going to park for them too.

^^^^^^ Bang on the money.

Surely its better to let those who know what their doing sort it out… I’d only ever stop if someone was hurt and know one else was at the scene helping.

I saw a caravan overturn on the M1 last week. He got caught in the draft of a truck he was overtaking and started snaking. He eventually ran off the road and up the embankment a bit. Missed all the trees and was just after a bridge support. Really lucky as apart from the wife being in shock, they got out scot free.

The lorry involved stopped in lane 1 as the caravan was sticking onto the carriageway a bit. If he’d swerved round it and I swerved round it it wouldn’t take long for someone not paying attention to plough straight into it so he did the right thing. I stopped behind him and tried to ring the police but couldn’t get a signal. Pulled onto hard shoulder to check everyone was OK. They were so I went on my way.

Did it myself once on M5 near Bristol. A young girl had gone into the armco on central reservation for no apparent reason (minor damage). And was sat crying her eyes out. Traffic was slowed to a crawl but nobody helping her. I stopped on hard shoulder and got her car started and moved it acroos to the hard shoulder, by that time the Police had arrived and took over.

toby1234abc:

dont get involved unless the motorway is blocked but a lot of the time it comes down to insurance,thats why the police do not involve lorry drivers when it comes to cars being chased, as regards keeping crashed vehicles safe if you done what you said about parking at an angle to protect said crashed cars it only takes another car to crash into you and the driver gets injured,hello compensation, because you or your company will be held liable even though you had the best of intentions,same thing applies to a car being chased if that person is injured in any way he/she has a claim against the company you work for,you probably realise this anyway but i have asked the same questions and that is what i was told

truckman20:

toby1234abc:

dont get involved unless the motorway is blocked but a lot of the time it comes down to insurance,thats why the police do not involve lorry drivers when it comes to cars being chased, as regards keeping crashed vehicles safe if you done what you said about parking at an angle to protect said crashed cars it only takes another car to crash into you and the driver gets injured,hello compensation, because you or your company will be held liable even though you had the best of intentions,same thing applies to a car being chased if that person is injured in any way he/she has a claim against the company you work for,you probably realise this anyway but i have asked the same questions and that is what i was told

Surely the answer to that is - don’t admit what you’re really doing.
Let’s say you’re stopped protecting said car, and someone drives into your truck, you wasn’t stopped protecting said car, you were stopped due to there being a stationary car in front of you - same as a traffic jam.