What would you do?

Parked up for the night, iv got cctv covering both sides of cab but cant see back doors and loaded parked at gates where delivering. suspicous cars coming and going and comming back parking closer each time then 1 was out of view behind so phoned police to report see if they could just do a drive past to make sure nothing wrong. 2mins later 2 cop cars out back looking around. usually i would care aslong dont wake me up lol

ST3:
Parked up for the night, iv got cctv covering both sides of cab but cant see back doors and loaded parked at gates where delivering. suspicous cars coming and going and comming back parking closer each time then 1 was out of view behind so phoned police to report see if they could just do a drive past to make sure nothing wrong. 2mins later 2 cop cars out back looking around. usually i would care aslong dont wake me up lol

If you’ve got a ‘pin lock’ I’d drop the trailer, drive round & nose right up to the back doors & fit the pin lock.

Ross.

can you spin around and back up to the gates?

did you get any of the car reg numbers?

if you’re out of hours and not happy get plod to sign tacho / print out, to move on somewhere else

i once did this after some very strange activity in the big lay by on the a59 a few miles off the A1, i’d thought i’d thought of every possible thing that could be going down until the copper said it’s probably a gay or dogging type thing :laughing: :laughing: not quite the drugs dropping out of the sky i’d been imagining :laughing: i got the copper to sign me tacho and moved on all the same

stopped there plenty of times after that, free security :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not your stuff, so if it gets nicked who cares? And it’ll be insured anyway.

I deliver every night to car dealers with vor parts. I often feel sorry for the trampers I wake up @ 0130,but hey! if you didn,t block the gate.

Nice to hear the police are quick to respond for a change!

ring yer mum mate

ST3:

I thought Geordies were hardnuts. Give 'em a slap and tell 'em to zb off away from yourtruck.
Tell them if they touch your merchandise you’ll kill them.

ThrustMaster:
It’s not your stuff, so if it gets nicked who cares? And it’ll be insured anyway.

Not a good attitude!! Be realistic. Goods nicked = insurance claim, insurance claim = higher premiums on renewal and then you would probably complain because you haven’t had a wage increase. Money can only be spent once and if it’s spent on insurance it’s not there for other things so it pays to look after your load, that way there may be money left for wage increase.

xtruckerlady:

ThrustMaster:

Not a good attitude!! Be realistic.

It’s you who needs to be realistic.

So after working all day as a driver and at a time when the law says I should be resting, I’m not acting as an unpaid security guard for stuff that’s not mine and which is insured against theft.

green456:
ring yer mum mate

Nah, call the Samaritans.
Should have parked in a secure place or MSA, maybe plan the route first if you have concerns.

Hiya …so i,am parked up right outside my last drop nr eastleigh, huge asda across the road,
so i have a good sleep but got woke up by the fuzz about 7 am. he asks if i,ve seen anything
any movement at all. NO can,t help you there mate i say.
In the night someone had cleared all the higher tools out of this building firm. chain saws
any power tools and all sorts, i never heard a thing…weeks later i was told it was a group
of the female species that had got in. some us as a night watchman i,d be.
John

ST3:

did you survive?

ThrustMaster:

xtruckerlady:

ThrustMaster:

Not a good attitude!! Be realistic.

It’s you who needs to be realistic.

So after working all day as a driver and at a time when the law says I should be resting, I’m not acting as an unpaid security guard for stuff that’s not mine and which is insured against theft.

I am being realistic. As my username suggests I was a lorry driver myself (and CPC National and International Holder as well) so I know the problems, and the law regards rest. My comment was about your attitude to the possibility of your load being stolen. I do not expect any driver to be an unpaid security guard, but that is no reason for not making sure the load is as safe as possible. I still believe that if a driver doesn’t want to ensure the safety of his load then he should not complain when the money is in the insurance company’s pocket instead of in his.

Tarrman:
Nice to hear the police are quick to respond for a change!

yeh they was very fast. didnt wana back up to gate as cab was in view of cctv camera and diesel tank. plus was curtain sider so blocking back doors dont work like a fridge box. all good in end police moved them on and had good nights kip :smiley:

as for planning my route i always know exactly where im gona end up and park up was planned and still had 4 hours driving left, i keep a bar in truck for my own protection if im fast asleep i dont care what happens to truck as probs wouldnt hear it but try getting in unit thats difo subject lol as for parking in msa no thanks boss dont pay for it, i aint forking out for it and over priced and stinks and had more curtains slashed in msa than on a industrial estates etc

xtruckerlady:

ThrustMaster:

Not a good attitude!! Be realistic. Goods nicked = insurance claim, insurance claim = higher premiums on renewal and then you would probably complain because you haven’t had a wage increase. Money can only be spent once and if it’s spent on insurance it’s not there for other things so it pays to look after your load, that way there may be money left for wage increase.

I have to agree with you xtruckerlady, as a transport manager and driver I find this attitude most annoying, I would not employ this gentleman or anyone with that attitude.

ibson:

xtruckerlady:

ThrustMaster:

I have to agree with you xtruckerlady, as a transport manager and driver I find this attitude most annoying, I would not employ this gentleman or anyone with that attitude.

I’ll repeat this again for the people who are thicker than a whale omlette.

I wouldn’t work for an employer who expects me to be an unpaid security guard for stuff that’s not mine and is insured for theft, when the law says I should be getting rest.

ThrustMaster:

ibson:

xtruckerlady:

ThrustMaster:

I’ll repeat this again for the people who are thicker than a whale omlette.

I wouldn’t work for an employer who expects me to be an unpaid security guard for stuff that’s not mine and is insured for theft, when the law says I should be getting rest.

There’s no need for that, I only posted my opinion, and a reasonable one at that, I also did it with out calling people thick or looking to intentionally offend, I can’t believe you are employed with an attitude like that.

Back on topic… I think the op did the right thing, your safety is of upmost importance and then followed by the vehicle and load.