Royal Mail DD

Having been stuck in lots of RTC queues over the last few days I thought I’d share a near miss.

I joined the M6 at J25 on Tuesday morning approx 06:15. As I joined I noticed a unit and trailer flying in lane 2.

Average speed cameras set at 50 on that section of the M6.

It flew past, proceeded to get about 2 inches from the bumper of the car in front then because the car driver didn’t move entered lane 3 then overtook that way.

Traffic in all 3 lanes at the time was moving at approx 45mph.

We can’t moan about the standards of driving when we’ve got idiots with big red trailers doing that.

I didn’t catch the reg by the way as I was concentrating on my escape route should I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like bus and taxi drivers, they’re the ones everybody remembers.

No excuses but the amount of times iv been behind a vehicle…doing yes 45mph on 50 stretch annoys me however I just keep the 2second rules

Then your 2second gap gets eaten by a fool who decides to enter it I wish the police were like dubai you can’t road rage or any incidents they will pick up on it. Had a friend who was stopped at the airport for a minor road rage incident

TruckDriverBen:
No excuses but the amount of times iv been behind a vehicle…doing yes 45mph on 50 stretch annoys me however I just keep the 2second rules

Remember your truck speed indicator is calibrated - those in cars are not.
An non-calibrated speedometer effectively has to show a higher speed than the vehicle is actually traveling at.

Cool story

Hiddo:
Having been stuck in lots of RTC queues over the last few days I thought I’d share a near miss.

I joined the M6 at J25 on Tuesday morning approx 06:15. As I joined I noticed a unit and trailer flying in lane 2.

Average speed cameras set at 50 on that section of the M6.

It flew past, proceeded to get about 2 inches from the bumper of the car in front then because the car driver didn’t move entered lane 3 then overtook that way.

Traffic in all 3 lanes at the time was moving at approx 45mph.

We can’t moan about the standards of driving when we’ve got idiots with big red trailers doing that.

I didn’t catch the reg by the way as I was concentrating on my escape route should I need one.

Whenever I see them they do always seem to be in a rush , I’m assuming there job& knock

Pity you didn’t get his number he’d of been taken of the road

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk

It’s not only red trailers doing that, I was on the M4 Newport driving through a construction zone with narrow lanes and a 50mph speed limit when this guy overtakes in the third lane and then the next 20 miles stays in the middle lane even though lane one was empty!

Jon55:
Pity you didn’t get his number he’d of been taken of the road

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk

If agency then yes, if a blue eyed full timer then a talking to would no doubt suffice.

Stephenjp:
Iwhen this guy overtakes in the third lane and then the next 20 miles stays in the middle lane even though lane one was empty!

Apart from the lanes being narrow on some road works I actually think it be a good idea for us to use any lane if speed limit is 50mph not like we’re holding anyone up

TruckDriverBen:

Stephenjp:
Iwhen this guy overtakes in the third lane and then the next 20 miles stays in the middle lane even though lane one was empty!

Apart from the lanes being narrow on some road works I actually think it be a good idea for us to use any lane if speed limit is 50mph not like we’re holding anyone up

I would agree with that, but, at present the highway code says we are only allowed to use lanes 1 & 2 of a 3 lane carriageway!! We could probably do with freeways aswell, like they have in the US considering there seem to be alot of middle lane hogs now!!

I’ve had a number of run-ins with RM vehicles over the years, I came to the conclusion that at their inductions, they must tell their drivers that the “Royal” in “Royal Mail” means the road actually belongs to them. :unamused:

Stephenjp:

TruckDriverBen:

Stephenjp:

I would agree with that, but, at present the highway code says we are only allowed to use lanes 1 & 2 of a 3 lane carriageway!! We could probably do with freeways aswell, like they have in the US considering there seem to be alot of middle lane hogs now!!

Replace with motorway.

We can use the third lane of other roads.

ScaniaUltimate:

Stephenjp:

TruckDriverBen:

Stephenjp:

Replace with motorway.

We can use the third lane of other roads.

It appears you are correct and it has been debated on here in the past, I wasn’t aware that you could do this. As it WAS a motorway that my pic relates to, this driver could be in a spot of bother, if I wasn’t the only one to record it.

I always thought that if a motorway has the inside lane coned off leaving two live lanes, middle and outside, the road essentially becomes a dual carriageway and you can overtake slower vehicles in lane 3? I do anyway, lots of numbskulls seem to do 35mph through the roadworks.

Swordsy:
I always thought that if a motorway has the inside lane coned off leaving two live lanes, middle and outside, the road essentially becomes a dual carriageway and you can overtake slower vehicles in lane 3? I do anyway, lots of numbskulls seem to do 35mph through the roadworks.

The road certainly doesn’t become any more of a dual carriageway or any less of a motorway than it already was.

So HGV are still not alllowed in lane 3? So no overtaking allowed of any sort for hgvs?

Swordsy:

A ‘dual carriageway’ can be as few as one ‘lane’ each way.
I understand the confusion due to the word dual, but you need to fully understand what they are to remain within the law.
This link explains it in more detail than I could…
roads.org.uk/blog/what-make … arriageway

A three lane motorway, with one lane coned off, becomes a two lane motorway - therefore you can overtake in the outside lane as you have been doing (unless signs instruct otherwise).

I’m sure that link is great, but without reading it, my understanding is that a Dual carriageway only refers to a physical central reservation (eg grass, or anything where the tarmac is not continuous)
A 3 lane motorway with lane 1 coned off would become a 2 lane motorway.

dozy:
Whenever I see them they do always seem to be in a rush , I’m assuming there job& knock

Being in a ‘rush’ in this laughably variable speed limit and camera regime is just playing Russian roulette with your licence.Sooner or later they’ll get caught by the wrong copper or camera in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Job and finish became moot with the introduction of hub systems and limiters and silly speed limits.