Truckstops and parking getting media attention at last

telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/1 … hgvs-road/

One good thing about this driver shortage is the fact that the real reasons for it other than pay is being widely discussed on the media.
I.ve seen it on the tv many times, and the subject of discussion on radio programmes…at last, let’s hope the awareness does some good.
Stuff being discussed lack of parking .
Truckstops…The ■■■■ poor facilities for trampers compared with on the Continent is now being discussed, let’s hopethe message gets through, and that it will bring about an improvement in quality of places,.and additional places to park.

Most places that they call '‘truckstops’ in this country range from total crap, to basic, with a handful that are well up to standard, and only 2 or 3 that are bordering on excellent.

Grotty to filthy showers and bogs., cheap crap greasy food, parks that are like the Somme battlefield in the winter,.and Operation Desert Storm in the hot summer.

Lincoln Farm for instance is in some kind of time warp, that cafe is exactly the same as when I first went in in 1979,…(apart from the ■■■ shows and strippers :laughing: )
Food ok but a bit average imo.

Truckers Rest.Cannock…ok they do try, but it’s also a bit 70s in there, some of the food is ok, but I judge cafe food on whether or not I’d take my Mrs out to eat it on a non special night out…reckon not.

Poplar has become a glorified MSA no longer prioritising on truckers. :unamused:

Tebay is at the higher end,.had a lovely breakfast in there last week, excellent showers…but I see they have closed the bar ffs.

Carnforth is one of the better ones ticking all or most of the boxes.

Tewkesbury …I see they are building a new cafe and better shower block.

Anybody think of any excellent ones or bad ones to name and shame?

Stockyard is good.

Don’t worry because as soon as a trivial story about Harry and Megan, or Beyoncé hit the headlines truckers will be yesterday’s news

robroy:
How France’s luxury lorry parks could help Britain keep HGVs on the road

One good thing about this driver shortage is the fact that the real reasons for it other than pay is being widely discussed on the media.
I.ve seen it on the tv many times, and the subject of discussion on radio programmes…at last, let’s hope the awareness does some good.
Truckstops…The ■■■■ poor facilities for trampers compared with on the Continent is now being discussed, let’s hopethe message gets through, and that it will bring about an improvement in quality of places,.and additional places to park.

Most places that they call '‘truckstops’ in this country range from total crap, to basic, with a handful that are well up to standard, and only 2 or 3 that are bordering on excellent.
can’t say that i agree with you about Lincoln farm Rob i know it’s stuck in a Timewarp but the showers are roomy and hot… cleaners are regularly mopping… and boy oh boy i have never polished off the dinners on offer yet… never mind the pudding the place has character and is best left as it is a good old british stopover
Grotty to filthy showers and bogs., cheap crap greasy food, parks that are like the Somme battlefield in the winter,.and Operation Desert Storm in the hot summer.

Lincoln Farm for instance is in some kind of time warp, that cafe is exactly the same as when I first went in in 1979,…(apart from the ■■■ shows and strippers :laughing: )

Truckers Rest.Cannock…ok they do try, but it’s also a bit 70s in there, some of the food is ok, but I judge cafe food on whether or not I’d take my Mrs out to eat it on a non special night out…reckon not.

Poplar has become a glorified MSA no longer prioritising on truckers. :unamused:

Tebay is at the higher end,.had a lovely breakfast in there last week, excellent showers…but I see they have closed the bar ffs.

Glews at Goole is OK and whilst there’s no cafe at least McDonalds and Premier Inn’s restaurant is right next to it. Penrith is getting there now they’ve finally concreted the change over area so it’s no longer a crater filled mud pit. Lockerbie not too bad, a bit dated decor but only in taste, not that it’s falling to bits. Not been able to sample the cafe at Ecclefechan as it’s closed by the time I get there but that’s a decent place. Leeming Bar would be better if there was a cafe.

The parking areas seem to be the most noticeable improvements. It seems that finally truck stops have worked out that an area that looks like the surface of the moon that leaves you up to your knees in mud when it’s raining and everything covered in dust when it’s sunny is no longer acceptable.

peirre:
Don’t worry because as soon as a trivial story about Harry and Megan, or Beyoncé hit the headlines truckers will be yesterday’s news

Yep you’re right, today it’s the crap that truckers have to endure,.then tomorrow we’ll have to endure Gemna ■■■■ Collins. :unamused: :smiley:
Think I’d prefer staying in a crap truckstop than that lump of lard. :smiley:

your forgetting Tony and ch…got a nice helping hand from taxpayer for his next house …er investment 350 thousand that was a good story

keepthefaith:
can’t say that i agree with you about Lincoln farm Rob i know it’s stuck in a Timewarp but the showers are roomy and hot… cleaners are regularly mopping… and boy oh boy i have never polished off the dinners on offer yet… never mind the pudding the place has character and is best left as it is a good old british stopover

Ok fair enough, but a ‘‘Good old British stopover’’ as you put it… is way out of date innit.
We should all have moved on from all that.
If it was done in that way as a ‘retro theme’, fair enough, but it ain’t, it’s just grotty and out of date.
It’s settling for 2nd best…we should EXPECT more and better.
When I was 20 I didn’t care so much, but we should demand better quality as befits our professionalism.
Tebay and Carndfirth as I mentioned have got the idea.
Lincoln farm must have made enough cash to invest to get it up to 2020 standard from the present 1970 standard of decor for a start.

The Govt are now aware of our crap conditions we put up with via the media,.and IF they are willing to at least try and sort the problems out, they could start with either grants or at least interest free loans to these places to get them up to a reasonable standard, and not instead us just settling for second best and accepting it with the attitude of…‘‘Because that’s how things are’’ in this job. :imp:

They could do similar schemes away from truckstops, in the construction of rest areas with toilets on major trunk roads.m to get the infrastructure we need up to date, … …around the M25 would be a good place to start. :bulb:

When I started there was a truck park in every major town ffs they have mostly all gone, there is no chance of that happening again as they tend to listen to nimbys, to ensure they do not lose votes, so the alternative schemes I mention would be a good way forward and a good start to make tramping more attractive to new drivers.

robroy:

Tebay need to shape up the breakfast that’s been out all morning Imo is crap ,
Where is this Tewksbury of which you speak ?
If Upton had a shower then there’s a winner :laughing:

Conor:
Glews at Goole is OK and whilst there’s no cafe at least McDonalds and Premier Inn’s restaurant is right next to it. Penrith is getting there now they’ve finally concreted the change over area so it’s no longer a crater filled mud pit. Lockerbie not too bad, a bit dated decor but only in taste, not that it’s falling to bits. Not been able to sample the cafe at Ecclefechan as it’s closed by the time I get there but that’s a decent place. Leeming Bar would be better if there was a cafe.

The parking areas seem to be the most noticeable improvements. It seems that finally truck stops have worked out that an area that looks like the surface of the moon that leaves you up to your knees in mud when it’s raining and everything covered in dust when it’s sunny is no longer acceptable.

There’s nothing decent about ecclefechan noise of train & the motorway all night and the menu with no choice and the grumpy woman who looks like she can’t wait to hit the bottle :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Tebay need to shape up the breakfast that’s been out all morning Imo is crap ,
Where is this Tewksbury of which you speak ?
If Upton had a shower then there’s a winner :laughing:

As I said, I was impressed with the Tebay breakfast the other day,…especially as I got it for nowt using a few vouchers I had in my wallet. :smiley:

The Tewkesbury one is Gilders about a mile or so off the M5 past the Army base on the left.
There’s also a pub across the road, but ain’t been in it lately.

I am going to mention some of the old places we had that have disappeared or been upgraded.

Lymm was far better when it was Poplar or Pops. Queer Now served a good meal after Mario took over. Hellaby had all the right ideas and continues to please.

I am against these high priced parking areas with a voucher for the driver, let the food service pay for the business, not the fixed parking charges, so many park operators know that the driver gets £26 to £35 and takes it all in exchange for a meal that is kept warm with a pig lamp.

Those I miss most are the London Inn. Coatesgate and Red Moss on the A74. Truckers at Huntingdon.

Ref. Showers,

Yes, some of the showers are good, BUT, if there’s only 5 - 10 showers between 200 drivers there should be staff on hand to clean them after every driver…toe fluff/■■■■■/bogies/arse-cheese anyone?

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

robroy:

Unfortunately this is today’s news while we have a shortage of drivers , I can confidential predict that when I retire in 4 years time nothing will have changed because no one will stump up the money to facilitate free parking and improved washing /toilet facilities and don’t rely on this government to lead the change , remember weeks ago they compulsory purchased holyhead truckstop to build a inland border facility to help the brexit crapshow , that’s how much the appreciate us .

Back in the day when the owner of the old Star Truckstop at Lesmahagow sold the land to Tesco he was being slagged off for selling out. What emerged from the ashes was a better and more modern Truckstop. Decent showers, decent food and seperate parking for fridges. The only problem being it’s full by 5pm unless you reserve a spot.
As has been said, every major town had a lorry park near or in the town centre, obviously a throw back to British Road Services days when there were no motorways and most drivers were in “Digs”. Nowadays the vast majority are in sleeper cabs and havent got the time to negotiate modern one way systems to find a lorry park that was designed for 6 and 8 wheelers with maybe a drag trailer.
Time has moved on, we live in a fast paced world with Just in Time deliveries where every minute of our day counts. Modern parking has to evolve to accomodate this.
Why cant there be legislation that…

1. Every new Industrial Estate (and theres plenty of them being built up and down the country) should have a parking area with enough spaces for at least 2 trucks for every business or unit. It should be secure, have as a minimum showers and toilets, and maybe a food outlet.

2. Every new filling station on major roads should have at least half a dozen spaces for trucks, with older ones having spaces built when refurbishment takes place.

3. Preferential planning permits for any company wanting to build a truckstop with lower or zero rated business rates for say the first 5 years.

4. Business rate discounts for any haulage company that allows part of their yard to be used for overnight parking.

5. Preventative legislation against companies that buy failing or out of date truckstops on the premise of keeping it open and also using it as a depot. (I’m thinking here of Maritime (Alconbury) and Stobart (Crick)

toowise:
Nowadays the vast majority are in sleeper cabs and havent got the time to negotiate modern one way systems to find a lorry park that was designed for 6 and 8 wheelers with maybe a drag trailer.
Time has moved on, we live in a fast paced world with Just in Time deliveries where every minute of our day counts.

Yeh?..Well it’s never bothered me going off route, nor negotiating one way systems to find a suitable place to park, no matter how many minutes it takes.

('On the other hand it was that reason my time ran out on Sat pm, :blush: as I did not have a 10 left, because I used it on Thurs night, to go where I knew there was a good truck park next to a Wetherspoons, rather than park in the farm yard I had delivered to with only a curry in my fridge I did not fancy. :smiley: )

That is why drivers stay in unsuitable lay bys because they have that mindset, my opinion is ■■■■ em, those that plan us are comfortable at nights,.so I’m going to be also.

robroy:

toowise:
Nowadays the vast majority are in sleeper cabs and havent got the time to negotiate modern one way systems to find a lorry park that was designed for 6 and 8 wheelers with maybe a drag trailer.
Time has moved on, we live in a fast paced world with Just in Time deliveries where every minute of our day counts.

Yeh?..Well it’s never bothered me going off route, nor negotiating one way systems to find a suitable place to park, no matter how many minutes it takes.

('On the other hand it was that reason my time ran out on Sat pm, :blush: as I did not have a 10 left, because I used it on Thurs night, to go where I knew there was a good truck park next to a Wetherspoons, rather than park in the farm yard I had delivered to with only a curry in my fridge I did not fancy. :smiley: )

That is why drivers stay in unsuitable lay bys because they have that mindset, my opinion is [zb] em, those that plan us are comfortable at nights,.so I’m going to be also.

Yrs ago that time going off route was not part of the working day :open_mouth: :laughing:

Who are people waiting for to change things

Drivers still working to the last minute then go looking to park because there running out of time

Willing to work crap hours and put up with crap

Working for cowboys

Reliving themselves everywhere and anywhere

Spending there life in the truck for nothing

And much more

Who the hell would want to change things for the better, it sticks out a mile that drivers love living and working in their own crap
And if things did change nothing surer drivers would balls it up for themselves

I ain’t on Facebook, but my daughter is, she sent me this which just about says it all comparing UK facilities for drivers. with those in Europe.

It can be the case that there is a horde of drivers asleep in their trucks in a truck park right next to a half-empty basic hotel. Do drivers bring it on themselves by going for the option of sleeping in the truck and seeing the night-out money as part of their wages?

If the company pays £25 for parking and the driver gets £25-£30, a cheap hotel with parking included can cost about the same overall. If the hotels were booked out every night with truck drivers, you can be sure that the hotels would think hang on a minute and build an extension onto the place to accommodate more rooms.

I know it may be argued that paying for a hotel for 9 hours isn’t really worth it, but it does beg the question why would anyone take 9 hours rest and start again in 2021?