Truckstops and parking getting media attention at last

Noremac:
It can be the case that there is a horde of drivers asleep in their trucks in a truck park right next to a half-empty basic hotel. Do drivers bring it on themselves by going for the option of sleeping in the truck and seeing the night-out money as part of their wages?

If the company pays £25 for parking and the driver gets £25-£30, a cheap hotel with parking included can cost about the same overall. If the hotels were booked out every night with truck drivers, you can be sure that the hotels would think hang on a minute and build an extension onto the place to accommodate more rooms.

I know it may be argued that paying for a hotel for 9 hours isn’t really worth it, but it does beg the question why would anyone take 9 hours rest and start again in 2021?

I’m assuming you’re a dayman?..
They usually look at sleeping in a truck (or a tin box as you lot like to say) as some kind of disadvantage.
It has never bothered me sleeping in a well equipped cab, (some people spend a fortune on a camper for instance to do the sane thing) and I have never looked upon night out subsistence as part ofmy wage, but as expenses and/or spending money on a night out.

Only time I’ve stayed in hotels is maybe on a weekender in the past, and if I did it would be for at least 11 hours, definitely not 9.
But I do take your point btw. :smiley:

Roverman:
Ref. Showers,

Yes, some of the showers are good, BUT, …toe fluff/■■■■■/bogies/arse-cheese anyone?

God, if that’s what you leave behind I hope I never use the shower after you :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Beau Nydel:

Roverman:
Ref. Showers,

Yes, some of the showers are good, BUT, …toe fluff/■■■■■/bogies/arse-cheese anyone?

God, if that’s what you leave behind I hope I never use the shower after you :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

robroy:
They usually look at sleeping in a truck (or a tin box as you lot like to say) as some kind of disadvantage.
It has never bothered me sleeping in a well equipped cab, (some people spend a fortune on a camper for instance to do the sane thing) and I have never looked upon night out subsistence as part ofmy wage, but as expenses and/or spending money on a night out.

Only time I’ve stayed in hotels is maybe on a weekender in the past, and if I did it would be for at least 11 hours, definitely not 9.
But I do take your point btw.

When you say ‘dayman’, at the moment it is more like ‘evening / night man’ (but home every day if that is what you mean).

It was more mentioned in the context of the comments often put forward about poor facilities, such as a clean shower and toilet to use. For little more overall cost, often a room with a private shower and throne can be procured (or maybe shared between a few rooms). That was my addition to the debate, whether it be right or wrong. Thought it was worth mentioning in any case.

While I have not done many nights-out, I am aware that cabs can be quite comfortable, but when placed in a truck-stop or motorway services, there can be noise through the night. It is also mildly inconvenient to have to walk to use the toilet, especially in winter. I know things have changed a bit, but still camping is generally done in fair weather, whereas truckers are out all year. On a campsite, you could reasonably expect few vehicle movements during the night, but not in a truck stop.

I am vaguely aware that you have your own stopping points, which you regularly speak of. Fair enough, if that is what you prefer doing. I think that is called ‘boondocking’ or something stateside. Not sure if we have a word for it.

Noremac:

robroy:

But I do take your point btw.

When you say ‘dayman’, at the moment it is more like ‘evening / night man’ (but home every day if that is what you mean).

It was more mentioned in the context of the comments often put forward about poor facilities, such as a clean shower and toilet to use. For little more overall cost, often a room with a private shower and throne can be procured (or maybe shared between a few rooms). That was my addition to the debate, whether it be right or wrong. Thought it was worth mentioning in any case.

While I have not done many nights-out, I am aware that cabs can be quite comfortable, but when placed in a truck-stop or motorway services, there can be noise through the night. It is also mildly inconvenient to have to walk to use the toilet, especially in winter. I know things have changed a bit, but still camping is generally done in fair weather, whereas truckers are out all year. On a campsite, you could reasonably expect few vehicle movements during the night, but not in a truck stop.

I am vaguely aware that you have your own stopping points, which you regularly speak of. Fair enough, if that is what you prefer doing. I think that is called ‘boondocking’ or something stateside. Not sure if we have a word for it.

Ok you make some good points tbf.
I usually take a shower st a MSA or where I’m tipping before I go to park up.
I only do 3 nights out a week now these days on my 4 day shift, but if I was back on Euro and/or doing a couple of weeks away. I would stay in a hotel a couple if nights and have done, …but as I said it has never been a hardship to me cabbing it in a well equipped truck.

Never bothered me getting to sleep in most places .and given the choice of using a bottle, and getting out to walk over a park to a bog, then option 1 (although not a perfect option) wins every time. :blush:
(Just so you know emptied tactfully and with consideration next morning. :sunglasses: )

Never heard that term, but I’ll take your word for it, I prefer to call it ‘Salvaging a bit of pleasure and social life out of what can be an endurance if you choose to go at it that way’’ (as many do, then complain they dont like nights out…neither would I stuck in a ■■■■ lay by. 4 nights a week :unamused: )
Although my term ain’t as catchy as yours. :laughing:

Not so sure about the greasy horrible food at services , yes if you use your £10 food voucher in Burger King / McDonald’s etc I’d agree , but those vouchers can be used in Waitrose / m&s to get in my opinion decent food ( we use Waitrose / m&s ) for our weekly shop & the food in there outlets at services looks / tastes no different to what it tastes at home .

dozy:
Not so sure about the greasy horrible food at services , yes if you use your £10 food voucher in Burger King / McDonald’s etc I’d agree , but those vouchers can be used in Waitrose / m&s to get in my opinion decent food ( we use Waitrose / m&s ) for our weekly shop & the food in there outlets at services looks / tastes no different to what it tastes at home .

Not every driver has cooking facilities in their cab though doze do they,.and rely on cafe food.

Of the truck stops / MSA I have stayed at ( quite a few ) the only ones where I feel I get value for money and don’t mind going there are
Stockyard ( though can get noisy very early )
Lockerbie ( always plenty of room and decent facilities)
Cannock ( not bad but need to be there early )

Happy Trucker1:
Of the truck stops / MSA I have stayed at ( quite a few ) the only ones where I feel I get value for money and don’t mind going there are
Stockyard ( though can get noisy very early )
Lockerbie ( always plenty of room and decent facilities)
Cannock ( not bad but need to be there early )

What about Tebay? Is that not good?

Surprised no one has mentioned Formula 1 Truckstop or the new truckstop at Sutterton Lincolnshire at the junction of A17 and A16

Top notch places

Leeming Bar is good. Took my significant other with me last week (great apart from having to get in the top bunk, too bloody old for that!) she was highly impressed by the cleanliness and the good food and trust me she takes some impressing! We need more like that.
Just down the road of course is the polar opposite, Barton Park. How the hell Moto have the gall to advertise that festering dump as a truckstop is beyond me. If it was a council car park H&S would close it down, it’s bordering on dangerous. The petrol station staff are pleasant enough but the shop very poor. Showers only open a few hours a day, no cafe, hardly any lighting.

Stopped at Chippenham on Wednesday night, for the first time in years. Excellent showers, overall a nice place but is it me or has the cafe lost its way a bit? It’s bloody expensive and there’s not that much variety and no daily specials. Somebody mentioned Truckers Rest ; well, the reason I like the place is BECAUSE nobody takes their missus there for a meal. It’s a good honest value for money cafe, decent portions, well cooked food, friendly staff and it’s clean. If I want something a bit posher I go to a pub; simple as that.

Top marks also to Bridgewater on the M5; perhaps more local agricultural showgrounds, cattle markets and the like could pick up on their initiative.

There seem to be certain areas in the UK where there’s a concentration of decent places ( mostly it seems at the top and bottom of the M6) and others where there’s a significant shortage; excluding MSA’s, after Swindon you’re pretty much stuffed on the M4 eastbound, there’s sod all around the M25 and not a great deal down the south coast either.

bring back the revolving door cafe at beatock and the moss at metal bridge

Wheel Nut:
I am going to mention some of the old places we had that have disappeared or been upgraded.

Lymm was far better when it was Poplar or Pops. Queer Now served a good meal after Mario took over. Hellaby had all the right ideas and continues to please.

I am against these high priced parking areas with a voucher for the driver, let the food service pay for the business, not the fixed parking charges, so many park operators know that the driver gets £26 to £35 and takes it all in exchange for a meal that is kept warm with a pig lamp.

Those I miss most are the London Inn. Coatesgate and Red Moss on the A74. Truckers at Huntingdon.

With the greatest of respect… we can blether on all we like about cafes that have gone (indeed there are whole pages on the subject in the Oldtimers section) but they ain’t coming back. We need to be talking about where the new ones ought to be and what they should consist of.

I do agree with you about the voucher though; and I wholly understand why some employers are reluctant to honour the full cost of the additional charge for the meal voucher. That’s what your night out money is for; and if you’re not getting the full taxable amount and parking paid for, go work for somebody who does.

There has been mentions of the M25 not being serviced by a decent stop. Junction 26 is as good a place as any imo. It’s fair to say there’s a bit of the Somme about it with regards to parking surface. But survive that and the food is decent and the albeit expensive bar is available. The ‘beach bar’ boarders on trendy. :smiley:
The showers are good although there needs to be more toilets.
It’s on snap with a meal voucher included as standard. No extra charge for it. It gets full early doors, but you can book. The carpark is marshalled, so you need to give a leaving time when entering as they stack you accordingly. So, it called Junction 26 and it’s on M25 at j26. There are no ‘MSA signs’ for it as it’s technically not on the M25, it’s just below it. No further than say Cobham is off the carriageway. Maybe because it’s exclusively for trucks it can’t be designated a MSA.

LazyDriver:
There has been mentions of the M25 not being serviced by a decent stop. Junction 26 is as good a place as any imo. It’s fair to say there’s a bit of the Somme about it with regards to parking surface. But survive that and the food is decent and the albeit expensive bar is available. The ‘beach bar’ boarders on trendy. :smiley:
The showers are good although there needs to be more toilets.
It’s on snap with a meal voucher included as standard. No extra charge for it. It gets full early doors, but you can book. The carpark is marshalled, so you need to give a leaving time when entering as they stack you accordingly. So, it called Junction 26 and it’s on M25 at j26. There are no ‘MSA signs’ for it as it’s technically not on the M25, it’s just below it. No further than say Cobham is off the carriageway. Maybe because it’s exclusively for trucks it can’t be designated a MSA.

It may well be ‘serviced as a decent stop’ I wouldn’t know, I’ve never been, but in relation to how many truck spaces there are there, and how many trucks in that area are looking for parking places overnight, and around the entirety of the M25, there should be about 10 more truckstops (or specifically designated parking areas for trucks or Euro style rest areas) around the M25…at least.

They keep building new industrial parks all over the country that will have trucks arriving everyday and no parking signs on all the roads on it .What they should do before giving planning permission is that they provide a parking area for the estimated amount of trucks they expect per day on the estate.
With toilets and showers that are manned and paid for by the company’s on the estate. And for use by transport companys that are delivering or have delivered to company’s on the estate. Easy to check with drivers paperwork.

Irrelevant if parking areas, shower and toilets are made “nice”, because within weeks (optimistic) they will be damaged, left in a state… by your fellow truck driver.

inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-s … pe-1245287

If this is true it looks as if they are going to invest in truck parking at last. :open_mouth:

robroy:
https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-supply-chain-crisis-uk-europe-1245287

If this is true it looks as if they are going to invest in truck parking at last. :open_mouth:

About time, although I’ll believe it when I see it. I often wondered as I drove to and through Germany as to why we can’t copy their Autohof model, all nice places with good grub, I’ve even seen local families arriving for sunday dinner!

The Stockyard seem to have it sussed; reasonable parking charges and pretty much every facility a driver may require. Their restaurant too (and the bar) seem to attract plenty of outside interest. I imagine that it’s a private enterprise too, so it must be profitable otherwise it’d be long gone.

Perhaps it should be the template for future truckstops?