Steering wheel knobs

peirre:
If Im given the keys to a truck with a knob fitted to the steering wheel Ill either remove it or refuse to drive it.
The potential for a driver getting billed by his employer for fitting a non standard item to the steering wheel and damaging it is high on modern trucks especially with all the fingertip electronics, so imagine the cost of replacing a modern truck steering wheel at the end of the lease term because of the damage caused must run into several hundred quid

Likewise. We have one bulker at our place whose regular driver insists on having one fitted, and I refuse to drive it on the road.

The issue I have with them is slightly different; whist I use a Moffett every day on which a steering-wheel knob is obviously an essential, I find that most drivers set one up in a lorry to grip with the right hand and not the left. Consequently I end up steering the ■■■■ thing with what, to me, is the “wrong” hand or else I forget about it being there and end up with it clonking me on the elbow.

For most of us, modern HGV steering is so light that turning the wheel with the flat of one hand is relatively easy; a far cry from when I started out on Ford D series with a wheel the size of a dustbin lid!