George Allison Transport, Darlington. Insufficient notice

Seen this on one of the HGV job groups on Facebook. Apparently, a worker, after 1 week decided a job wasn’t for him and left. The firm, George Allinson Transport deducted £600 for insufficient notice, leaving him with less than £9 for a full weeks work.

A screen shot of the alleged wage slip is attached.

Small Claims Court with that one with £500 added on. Allinson’s have been a notoriously dishonest company for as long as I’ve been a truck driver.

If that’s kosher it’ll be the worst £600 balls up that company ever made.
The publicity alone will reverberate for years to come within the ranks of drivers looking for work.

Pretty sure this violates minimum wage laws as well

They "may " be within their rights if the worker had signed a company policy document before starting work . Just saying "maybe " I spoke to one of the yard foremen one day while loading to see if there was anyway I could use their wash to give my truck a clean - I was told no and then that he was nearly sacked for suggesting that the yard staff could do with a pay rise .
I got the impression every pound was / is a prisoner which would lead me to beleive this sort of thing would be well covered in their terms and conditions .

beefy4605:
They "may " be within their rights if the worker had signed a company policy document before starting work . Just saying "maybe " I spoke to one of the yard foremen one day while loading to see if there was anyway I could use their wash to give my truck a clean - I was told no and then that he was nearly sacked for suggesting that the yard staff could do with a pay rise .
I got the impression every pound was / is a prisoner which would lead me to beleive this sort of thing would be well covered in their terms and conditions .

Would depend on the legality of it really. Contracts are basically worthless of they aren’t legal to begin with.

As Harry says above, probably a case for the small claims court.

Still on probation so can walk away.This is the worst publicity in the current climate.

beefy4605:

Company policies do not take precedence over law. Doesn’t matter what’s in a contract. You can’t just deduct what you feel like cos you’re feelings got hurt.

WheelsofCardiff:
Still on probation so can walk away.This is the worst publicity in the current climate.

Basically it’s a public admission by Allinson’s that they run bent. If they don’t abide by employment law then what other laws do they ignore? Tachograph, maintenance?

Time for an email to the NE Traffic Commissioner maybe?

Have they taxed the nights out? :confused:

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … easons.pdf They don’t learn do they!

Very illegal. Check your notice period when resigning - Citizens Advice
If you leave within 1 month of employment then you do not have to give notice. My union solicitors would be having a field day if this happened to me.

It’s a bit mean applying the deduction AFTER deducting tax & NI. Could have at least given the driver that!

Grumpy_old_trucker:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/60f00f41e90e0764c7950c5e/Mr_D_Jordan-Gathercole_v_George_Allinson_Transport_Ltd_2500112-2021_Reasons.pdf They don’t learn do they!

Good find, grumpy! Maybe those people here who use facebook can forward that link to the guy whose pay slip it is ?

I think they could be in trouble.

DCPCFML:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/60f00f41e90e0764c7950c5e/Mr_D_Jordan-Gathercole_v_George_Allinson_Transport_Ltd_2500112-2021_Reasons.pdf They don’t learn do they!

Good find, grumpy! Maybe those people here who use facebook can forward that link to the guy whose pay slip it is ?

That case was recently, in the past few weeks, hence my comment about them not learning.

I wonder how they arrived at the figure of £600. How do they calculate that.
I’ll be telling anyone who’ll listen about this. My son was thinking of going there!

If true, the company is wide open.

Sadly we tend to just move on.

Me? I’d see them in court whilst gleefully making sure the papers got hold of it.

Regardless of notice requirements, the company cannot legally do this. If they have an issue with lack of notice their only recourse is to take him to court on the basis of damages

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

DCPCFML:
Have they taxed the nights out? :confused:

Yes, tax approx £90 NI approx £60 on £687.50 taxable earnings, if they are doing that with all their drivers they may be screwing all their drivers and the tax man.

Is this a Gerald Ratner moment, or is someone from admin or middle management who made this foolish descision about to find themselves having a short unpleasant conversation with the MD first thing Monday?