Get lorries off the roads

An elderly lady fell off her mobility scooter and was lying in the road in front of an artic, the traffic in town is now gridlocked and not moving.
The lorry driver was decent enough to stop and assist the lady until the ambulance arrived and wanted to show his forward facing camera footage to the police in case they needed to see it but they didn’t show up .

A few family members of the lady turn up and one member said to the lady on the road : Should get the lorries off the road .
If wasn’t for the quick reaction from the lorry driver she would have been run over.

While the BBC is using the excuse that too many lorries are parked up because not enough drivers so we must keep the doors open to foreign labour.

Tarmaceater:
An elderly lady fell off her mobility scooter and was lying in the road in front of an artic, the traffic in town is now gridlocked and not moving.
The lorry driver was decent enough to stop and assist the lady until the ambulance arrived and wanted to show his forward facing camera footage to the police in case they needed to see it but they didn’t show up .

A few family members of the lady turn up and one member said to the lady on the road : Should get the lorries off the road .
If wasn’t for the quick reaction from the lorry driver she would have been run over.

She needs to be very careful what she wishes for. She’d last 2 days with lorries off the road.

When the French drivers go on strike and paralysed their fuel and food supplies, the public pleaded with them to get back on the road .
A road blockade with burning tyres and rocks thrown at your cab if you cross the picket line is not for the faint hearted.

Tarmaceater:
When the French drivers go on strike and paralysed their fuel and food supplies, the public pleaded with them to get back on the road .
A road blockade with burning tyres and rocks thrown at your cab if you cross the picket line is not for the faint hearted.

How many french roadblocks have you run ?

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

He hasn’t, he read it in the French papers because he’s multilingual don’t you know!

Tarmaceater:
No I didn’t make anything up , it’s what I read in the papers as I can speak and read Spanish,French, Portuguese and Italian, can you make it up ?

Grumpy_old_trucker:

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

He hasn’t, he read it in the French papers because he’s multilingual don’t you know!

Tarmaceater:
No I didn’t make anything up , it’s what I read in the papers as I can speak and read Spanish,French, Portuguese and Italian, can you make it up ?

Another fantasist

robthedog:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

Tarmaceater:

Another fantasist

Lay off of us fantasists, If I werent out here roping and sheeting on the Middle East work I would sort you lot out. Bring back National Service blah blah.

I did dodge the French road blocks by going on the back roads not on the National roads and peages where it’s obvious the motorway or national road would be blocked by irritated French drivers, they can’t be everywhere at once and on every road at the same time .

Tarmaceater:
I did dodge the French road blocks by going on the back roads not on the National roads and peages where it’s obvious the motorway or national road would be blocked by irritated French drivers, they can’t be everywhere at once and on every road at the same time .

Yeah course you did I expect you done the red caps as well

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

I’m waiting for him to tell us how he missed the Herald because he was held up on the Brussels ring road.

It has been done. I once wrote a magazine article about an owner driver - a then workmate of mine - who breached a picket line driving a load of oranges from Spain to a London market.

He had rocks thrown at his cab, had to spend a night in a French police compound for his safety, and used obscure backroads to get through. His story, and photos of his damaged lorry, made it into a national newspaper. He showed me the story from the newspaper clippings and photos of his damaged lorry.

He made his delivery to London, but at a loss from all the damage he had to repair.

ezydriver:
It has been done. I once wrote a magazine article about an owner driver - a then workmate of mine - who breached a picket line driving a load of oranges from Spain to a London market.

He had rocks thrown at his cab, had to spend a night in a French police compound for his safety, and used obscure backroads to get through. His story, and photos of his damaged lorry, made it into a national newspaper. He showed me the story from the newspaper clippings and photos of his damaged lorry.

He made his delivery to London, but at a loss from all the damage he had to repair.

Be nice if you could show us proof of this event :unamused:

> I once wrote a magazine article about an owner driver - a then workmate of mine -

He showed me the story from the newspaper clippings and photos of his damaged lorry.

Spent a night in a French police compound , eh :open_mouth:
Did they give him a personoalised Security ■■■■■■ to the port ? :smiley: :smiley:

pierrot 14:

ezydriver:

> I once wrote a magazine article about an owner driver - a then workmate of mine -

He showed me the story from the newspaper clippings and photos of his damaged lorry.

Spent a night in a French police compound , eh :open_mouth:
Did they give him a personoalised Security ■■■■■■ to the port ? :smiley: :smiley:

Tarmaceaters got an Allie

pierrot 14:

Sometimes, somebody tells you a story from their life, and you have to sum up the person, and take it on good faith, or not. Most of us can recognise a bull-■■■■■■■■ Occasionally you get first hand proof of a story, and he volunteered his newspaper clipping about the event, and his own photos of the aftermath. He wasn’t some oik from an RDC waiting room. I knew the man well on a personal level. His wife was present both through the event and whilst I interviewed him, corroborating everything. She was petrified through it, and recounted the fear for her life whilst being pelted with rocks, then followed for miles. The police saved them, and offered sanctuary for a night. He was one of those types you had to meet to believe, having that middle-east driver spirit about him, having lived an adventurous life. A wholesome no-nonsense fella. Forgive me for not giving second hand proof. I’m not even sure how I’d do that. Besides, I don’t think I’d like to make a habit of asking every person who told me a remarkable story for proof. That seems a little off to me. Insulting even.

I once met Gordon Pearce (Astran’s first employed driver) at Gaydon, and spoke with him for some time. He told me some unbelievable stories. It would be nice if I could show you proof of those too, but alas, I had to take his word for it. If you’d ever met Gordon, you’d sense straight away he was wholesome, and not a bull-■■■■■■■■ Besides, I wouldn’t dare offend him that way. I have a lot of respect for some of the old timers, a love of their story telling, and a reliable gut feeling about when to trust somebody. Some people just have remarkable, charmed lives.

Stuff like that happens. Not as often if all the stories were true maybe, but it does.
Because of all the bllx claimed it’s easier to automatically disbelieve every story, but that would be a mistake.

And just in case anyone thinks the French or Spanish are just violent foreigners where strikes are concerned, go look at what was happening here in 1984/5.
“Killing of David Wilkie - Wikipedia” en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_David_Wilkie
Those trucks breaking the strike often had metal protection for windows, not much use against breeze blocks suspended from over bridges though.

I agree. When you begin asking questions the answers are usually always vague. I’ve worked with several blokes who love to tell me they’re ex SAS, but when I ask even simple questions they suddenly “can’t talk about it”. But once in a very blue moon I know somebody’s genuine in their tales.

My mate also told me about an incident involving a boat called The Herald of the Free Enterprise. I don’t know if you’ve heard about it, but it was a ferry that capsized soon after leaving Zeebrugge back in the 1980s. My mate quickly nipped to the loo, and because of that he missed the boat by seconds. He said he should have been the last one on, but just missed it. Nah, I’m just messing with you lol.

ezydriver:
My mate also told me about an incident involving a boat called The Herald of the Free Enterprise. I don’t know if you’ve heard about it, but it was a ferry that capsized soon after leaving Zeebrugge back in the 1980s. My mate quickly nipped to the loo, and because of that he missed the boat by seconds. He said he should have been the last one on, but just missed it. Nah, I’m just messing with you lol.

You’ll give our resident fantasist “Tarmaceater” ideas, I’m surprised she hasn’t claimed this story, she’s been everywhere else………….or so she claims!

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

You silly Billy, he couldn’t have. He was to busy doing the mayor’s daughter…

After a police “ Incident “ around the Bordeaux ring road I had to make a run for it and made it to the ferry at Le Havre by using the D or Department roads that link small villages this was the same D roads to avoid the strikes .
Employed drivers would deliberately join the queue at the blockade as got paid but as an owner driver that wasn’t an option with a trailer waiting to be turned around at the port .
With less traffic on the back roads , I’m surprised not many tourists use them, using the busy roads at peak times especially when the Muslim community(From Northern Europe) travel vast distances without stopping (Transiting France) to get ferries from Southern Spain to North Africa with literally the kitchen sink on the car or van roof .
I regularly used the coast road from Cherbourg to Mont St Michael, but they put weight limits on that coast road ( To force you to use the toll motorway) and flower pots in the villages, remember St Leonard’s creperie , great omelette and crepes .
Please forensically exam this and dissect it like cutting up a rat in school biology class by re-quoting like a privileged Q.C prosecution lawyer.