Community Speedwatch

Green Devil:
I did create a transport company that employed about 250 staff and 50 drivers if that helps my case a tiny bit though. Oh and my nephew was run over and killed by a truck if that explains anything.

Did you sack the driver?

Several of them actually, mostly for being unreliable.
Not one of our drivers got a speeding ticket in the 10 years I ran the company and at times there were nearly 50 employed on shifts and none were pressurised in to making a delivery in a manner where time was not available to do it safely. Maybe part of the problem is that now drivers are being pressured to get the delivery done that some feel they have to take risks in order to do it. Would be interesting to know, it is several years since I was in the business now being just an old f4rt. I have driven for other people where I have known the vehicle is overweight and sent on a journey tight on time and still done it, what was the alternative losing my job?
I vowed I would never run a company like that.
To me there are probably two types of driver speeding in dangerous areas, those doing so under duress or pressure from above, they know they are doing wrong but may feel they have to keep their jobs. Then there are the “Rules don’t apply to me, I am immortal, f**k everyone else I will drive how I want” and those are the people who deserve all they get.
I would love to know from today’s drivers whether I am right, the problem is there have to be cases where plod uses his brain and discretion but from what I have seen of their rules they don’t have the discretion to do so either and that is where the us and them argument starts.

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools as the old saying goes.