Hairdryers for speed guns

Watch out in sleepy Somerset villages for groups of OAP`s armed with old hairdryers,they point them at you,and write your truck plate details down,while looking authoritive and important.O h blast it,caught at 41 mph in a 40 again.By the way,they have cut off the wires,and no plug at the end too.

hairdryers for speed guns, jumpers for goal posts, gatguns, and catterpults.
arghhhhhh, the 70’s.

Fair play to em. If they feel motivated enough to do such a thing then presumably speeding vehicles must be an issue in that village.

It must take them ages to dry their hair with that gatso the local plod lent them.

hiabman:
Fair play to em. If they feel motivated enough to do such a thing then presumably speeding vehicles must be an issue in that village.

Or is it just the perception of speeding vehicles.
Witnesses are notoriously unreliable when it come to judging speed, it has as much to do with thier predjudges about certain types of vehicle and drivers, than the actual speed of the vehicle.

I saw a copper with what was definitely not a hair dryer yesterday,and he had bagged a speeding motorist.

Trucks shouldn’t be in villages, villagers don’t want my truck there and I don’t want my truck to be there, I’m sure the villagers and myself mutually agree that it would be better if I was driving on the village by-pass.

muckles:

hiabman:

Witnesses are notoriously unreliable when it come to judging speed, it has as much to do with thier predjudges about certain types of vehicle and drivers, than the actual speed of the vehicle.

Too right, I was driving through a medium sized village the other day, in a 30mph limit on a fairly wide A road. I was doing about 20mph as there were some parked cars to negotiate round and some old biddy on a mobility scooter on the pavement waved at me and shouted that I should slow down. I already thought I was crawling along, I don’t know how slow she wanted me to go. All the cars that had been in front of me when I came into the 30 limit were going a lot faster and by that point were quite a way ahead.

Paul

repton:

muckles:

hiabman:

Too right, I was driving through a medium sized village the other day, in a 30mph limit on a fairly wide A road. I was doing about 20mph as there were some parked cars to negotiate round and some old biddy on a mobility scooter on the pavement waved at me and shouted that I should slow down. I already thought I was crawling along, I don’t know how slow she wanted me to go. All the cars that had been in front of me when I came into the 30 limit were going a lot faster and by that point were quite a way ahead.

Paul

Theres a local woman in the village where we run out of that does this, everytime she sees a lorry shes waving her arms and screaming for them to slow down, yet the car thats just gone by doing 40-50 in a 30 gets ignored :unamused:

muckles:

hiabman:

Well said that man.

Harry Monk:
Trucks shouldn’t be in villages, villagers don’t want my truck there and I don’t want my truck to be there, I’m sure the villagers and myself mutually agree that it would be better if I was driving on the village by-pass.

Agreed. The trouble is when a bypass is proposed, it’s the same type of NIMBY cretins who oppose it.
As a HGV driver at the moment, we can’t do anything right. I’ve been doing this driving lark for about 7 years now and the prejudice seems to have recently gotten worse, or is it just my perception?

repton:

muckles:

hiabman:

Paul

Go spend a day at a go kart track and tell me your perception of speed then, the woman on a mobility scooter is sat lower than your lift axle :stuck_out_tongue:

MikeCunn:

Harry Monk:

Agreed. The trouble is when a bypass is proposed, it’s the same type of NIMBY cretins who oppose it.
As a HGV driver at the moment, we can’t do anything right. I’ve been doing this driving lark for about 7 years now and the prejudice seems to have recently gotten worse, or is it just my perception?

Don’t take it too personally, basically as a society we are becoming more and more intolerent of anybody who’s doing anything we don’t won’t do to ourselves.
And some of those who move from the Cities into a Country are the worst, they dream of some rural ideal, and seem bitterly dissapointed when they arrive in a village and find that we aren’t all wearing smocks, leaning over a 5 bar gate with a straw in our mouth going “Oh Ahh, there be rain in the air”. Instead they find that modern farming requires large machinery and trucks that operate day and night, to supply the needs of the Supermarkets that they shop in or the farmer has diversified and the farm building are now industrial unit, providing work for local people and business for local shops and pubs.

So as these people can’t see further than the nose in front of thier face they set about getting restriction on these activities, so the businesses move out the Shop and Pub closes and those who work in the village move out. The village ends up as nothing more than a remote suburb of the local town, the very environment that these people had moved otu of in the first place.

But as they can’t see the further than the nose in front of there face

Most of the villages are just settlements these days the school,shop and pub have all closed.They build a bypass and then build more houses along the side of the bypass creating a ribbon development,then in a few years time they will be shouting for another bypass.

Theres an codger in Bladon near Woodstock who has a 20 is plenty sign on his gate and in his car and regularly pulls out of his drive and nearby roadside straight infront of traffic he decides are speeding. Ive tried pushing him along but been too quick on the brakes but our new lorries have onboard cctv and at least one driver cant wait for said coffin dodger to play pc alzheimers with him…

Simple, horn & middle finger.

After you’ve put your phone down and laptop away ofcourse.

Some I feel sorry for, but when I get to that age, I hope im not standing in pish stained clothing holding a hairdrier at traffic.

In Glasgow (Thornliebank station) there is a junkie who thinks he is a human speed camera and will point at you with a really scary :open_mouth: look if you speed…

How very sad that they spend their golden years waiting to die and pointing grooming utensils at traffic, next they will be shooting at us with a curling thongs.

They do this in our village but they use real speed guns, take down your number then police get in touch and give you a warning/advise, not been done myself so can only go on hearsay