Community speed wardens

Just a heads up…I came through Crediton earlier on the A377, saw 3 guys in hi viz on the pavement.
Got up to them, they were 3 old geezers in pristine hi viz jackets with '‘Community Speed Warden’ printed on the back, buttoned up to the neck with a white shirt and tie, looking important (in their own minds) pointing a ■■■■ camera at me. :open_mouth:
They will have a nice pic of me doing the w××××r gesture at them. :smiley:

I have nothing against the Old Bill policing 30mph zones, in fact I’m all for it when there are kids and old people about, but ffs!..is this what it’s come to, Coffin Dodgers on Power trips? :unamused:

Anyhoo if you’re down here watch out for them.

A steady day then :laughing: :wink:

Punchy Dan:
A steady day then :laughing: :wink:

Aye. :slight_smile:
Where were you heading this morning?

Porsche opersite truck haven for starters .

1C40A867-EA53-4984-99E7-3C3BAE0015A9.jpegthen some oak

Punchy Dan:

Putting an order in? :laughing:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

Putting an order in? :laughing:

No but looking for a macan for the mrs but not many crayon colour about :unamused: at right money private sale that is :wink:

I’m all in favour of them TBH.

1. It’s cheaper than putting a copper (or even a paid civvie) on the job.

2. It leaves said copper available to devote his/her time to other matters.

3. They are actually quite effective at getting folk to slow down a bit.

4. The coffin dodgers get to feel that they have a genuine purpose in society.

5. The maximum penalty issued is a stern letter (no points or fines).

6. Drivers get to make rude hand gestures at the participants without fear of being stopped and called to account for their puerile behaviour.

Difficult to see any downsides really.

Roymondo:

6. Drivers get to make rude hand gestures at the participants without fear of being stopped and called to account for their puerile behaviour.

My ‘puerile behaviour’ extends to Police camera vans also,.when on trunk roads and motorways, purely to generate revenue under the guise of road safety, you see them a lot more on those type roads than the less lucrative small towns and villages,.where they should be.
Never been 'called to account ever up to press.
As far as I know, it’s still a free country, and you’re entitled to display your feelings towards Police when you disapprove of their actions as long as it ain’t threatening.

robroy:

Roymondo:

My ‘puerile behaviour’ extends to Police camera vans also,.when on trunk roads and motorways, purely to generate revenue under the guise of road safety, you see them a lot more on those type roads than the less lucrative small towns and villages,.where they should be.
As far as I know, it’s still a free country, and you’re entitled to display your feelings towards Police when you disapprove of their actions as long as it ain’t threatening.

This may surprise you…
kirwanssolicitors.co.uk/med … pdf_01.pdf

Roymondo:

I think and…

I must stress here, I’m not a solicitor, that “Insulting words or behaviour”: Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 might apply.

If your not speeding, and of course none of us professional drivers do, then why worry about it?

Tude:

robroy:

Roymondo:

This may surprise you…
kirwanssolicitors.co.uk/med … pdf_01.pdf

Surprise me? :laughing:
Nah, nothing surprises me about the policies in this country.to agitate you, fleece you, and try and turn you into a serial conformist towards stupid rules… :unamused:
(Just look at how they have us all brainwashed into walking around avoiding and side stepping each other, like we’ve got fleas, wearing ridiculous ■■■■ face masks in the Covid situation, …but that’s a different argument for another thread.)

It’s the '‘Could be considered by Police’ bit that tells the tale, they know and you know that in REAL terms you are doing nothing WRONG, but they’ll adjust the goal posts to do you anyway…cos they can.! :bulb:

If I get nicked one day for it, so be it, I couldnt give a one, it is just in my nature to show contempt when imo it is deserved, to a form of authority, rather than just bend over and accept stupid bloody situations and conform.

Martin:
If your not speeding, and of course none of us professional drivers do, then why worry about it?

Wasnt speeding,.wasn’t ‘‘worried’’ as such.
Just posting to warn,.and to point out my displeasure at self appointed wannabe policemen who’s time could be better spent.
Hope that clears it up.
:neutral_face:

I live in village where its deemed as the norm for vehicles passing through to speed.Without any sort of evidence of speeding nothing will ever get done,so it becomes down to the community to get that evidence,who better to do it than “coffin dodgers”. Believe me with only one main road through a village speeding cars and noisy wannabe Surtees motor bike riders with noisy exhausts the community has to do something about them.

The ones I actually like are those radar controlled traffic lights (not the ones that just display your speed) that sit on the main road through a village. Don’t speed and they stay green. Be a bit lead footed and they change to red.

lolipop:
I live in village where its deemed as the norm for vehicles passing through to speed.Without any sort of evidence of speeding nothing will ever get done,so it becomes down to the community to get that evidence,who better to do it than “coffin dodgers”. Believe me with only one main road through a village speeding cars and noisy wannabe Surtees motor bike riders with noisy exhausts the community has to do something about them.

I also live in a similar type village with the same problem, and it does ■■■■ me off when my kids are out.
Saying that I strongly believe it is up to the Police to deal with it, just accepting this usual bleating of ‘limited resources’ b/s is no good.
These limited resources seem to be out of the window in certain scenarios I have noticed…mostly those where there is money to be made.
I know it’s a familiar band wagon I jump on, but it is nevertheless true.

I also believe it takes a certain ‘type’ to do this sort of thing, taking it upon themselves to uphold the law and fight crime :unamused:
Usually somebody who is dominated at home, been bullied, or never had a girlfriend for instance, usually qualified to be referred to a name beginning with ‘C’…just my opinion by past experiences of these type of guys, I ain’t too keen on them tbh.

Speed wardens = retired civil servants with nowt else to do.

I don’t have a problem with these people, it’s their area and they would like to to be safer, what’s wrong with that?
There’s one little village, Huby, in between Harrogate and Otley on the A658, where the locals would get out there, in the car park of the village hall, kitted out in hi viz, holding hairdriers as if they were radar guns :smiley: Mind you, every so often it would be a police motorbike with his equipment set up so the old fogeys were a useful reminder of the 30mph limit.

Yeah, these types of neighbourhood watch activities do attract “a certain type of person”, as do certain jobs, as long as they aren’t literally in your face, they’re harmless - as long as they understand we drivers CAN read, so when a sign says “7.5 T except for access”, we might actually know a lot more than they do :smiley:

The cops running the cameras in HGVs (Operation Tramline etc ) have a notable lack of a sense of humour about drivers “interacting” with them: One guy I knew smiled and waved at them as they pulled alongside, he wasn’t using his phone or anything else like that, but they did pull him over and warn him that he could be accused of “interfering with a police office in the execution of his duty”. :unamused:

The coffin dodgers in Bradford-on-Avon 18 ton wear hi viz with police writing on it but they are not the police and a large haulage firm ( Not operating in the BOA area) regularly got complaints from a retired ex military imbecile who would stand in the road waving a hair dryer disguised as a speed gun and reported lorries for running through a weight limit.
Unfortunately for him the haulier was legal and had a local permit to run through his pretty little village and was threatened with legal action if he continued in harassing drivers, once he got a letter from a solicitor, he never pretended to be a police man again.