Community speed wardens

In Spain there are some urban areas and villages where there are lights flashing amber every 200 yards or so which will turn to red if you exceed the posted speed limit.Unfortunately the locals know that if you drive through fast enough they will not turn red until you have passed them !

robroy:
Just a heads up…I came through Crediton earlier on the A377, saw 3 guys in hi viz on the pavement.
Got up to them, they were 3 old geezers in pristine hi viz jackets with '‘Community Speed Warden’ printed on the back, buttoned up to the neck with a white shirt and tie, looking important (in their own minds) pointing a [zb] camera at me. :open_mouth:
They will have a nice pic of me doing the w××××r gesture at them. :smiley:

I have nothing against the Old Bill policing 30mph zones, in fact I’m all for it when there are kids and old people about, but ffs!..is this what it’s come to, Coffin Dodgers on Power trips? :unamused:

Anyhoo if you’re down here watch out for them.

Next time stop and ask them for their Data Privacy Impact Assessment. Then point out they are breaking the law when they don;t know what you’re talking about…

dom_f:

robroy:
Just a heads up…I came through Crediton earlier on the A377, saw 3 guys in hi viz on the pavement.
Got up to them, they were 3 old geezers in pristine hi viz jackets with '‘Community Speed Warden’ printed on the back, buttoned up to the neck with a white shirt and tie, looking important (in their own minds) pointing a [zb] camera at me. :open_mouth:

I have nothing against the Old Bill policing 30mph zones, in fact I’m all for it when there are kids and old people about, but ffs!..is this what it’s come to, Coffin Dodgers on Power trips? :unamused:

Next time stop and ask them for their Data Privacy Impact Assessment. Then point out they are breaking the law when they don;t know what you’re talking about…

Unless one of them is the Data Controller for that particular activity (which they almost certainly won’t be) an appropriate response would be along the lines of “Nothing to do with me, Guv”. Much along the lines of a driver challenged to do the same in respect of the Forward Facing camera on his windscreen…

dom_f:

robroy:

Nah, I prefer my …quote; ‘‘Puerile behaviour’’ method of calling them w×××××s. :smiley:

robroy:
I also believe it takes a certain ‘type’ to do this sort of thing, taking it upon themselves to uphold the law and fight crime :unamused:
Usually somebody who is dominated at home, been bullied, or never had a girlfriend for instance, usually qualified to be referred to a name beginning with ‘C’…just my opinion by past experiences of these type of guys, I ain’t too keen on them tbh.

Never had a girlfriend you say? As long as the inflatable type doesn’t count, where do I sign up■■?

Not sure…

Where DPIA and GDPR come in if all your doing is writing a vehicle registration down, then passing that on to the local plod saying it was driving in a 30 limit at X miles miles per hour.

yourhavingalarf:
Not sure…

Where DPIA and GDPR come in if all your doing is writing a vehicle registration down, then passing that on to the local plod saying it was driving in a 30 limit at X miles miles per hour.

It depends who the vehicle the registration is attached to belongs to. Individual = GDPR applies, Company vehicle = GDPR doesn’t apply.

Wildy:
It depends who the vehicle the registration is attached to belongs to. Individual = GDPR applies, Company vehicle = GDPR doesn’t apply.

If I write…

Down the registration of any passing vehicle and pass it onto my local plod, which law have I broken? None as far as I can see.

Surely the it’s the police themselves that need the relevant permisions to inform the DVLA and then the vehicle owner of the heinous crime of 34 in a 30.

yourhavingalarf:

Wildy:

If I write…

Down the registration of any passing vehicle and pass it onto my local plod, which law have I broken? None as far as I can see.

Surely the it’s the police themselves that need the relevant permisions to inform the DVLA and then the vehicle owner of the heinous crime of 34 in a 30.

Where did the Police get the registration number from? You might not have broken any law, that doesn’t mean that GDPR does not apply though.

It gives them a sense of purpose in retirement and keeps them out of the nursing home. Maybe in another couple of years Rob will be the one stood at the side of the road wearing a clean hiviz and holding a speed camera

Wildy:
Where did the Police get the registration number from? You might not have broken any law, that doesn’t mean that GDPR does not apply though.

I don’t…

Know enough about GDPR law to comment further. But, I fail to see how GDPR permissions is required by anyone who writes down someone elses vehicle registration.

However, I’m confident that a group of retiree’s/local villagers can write number plates on a piece of paper, forward those numbers to the police force and then go home without fear of prosecution.

Of course Data Protection laws apply. But the people writing the registration numbers down at the roadside don’t need to concern themselves with DPIA (it’s a process, not a document that can be produced BTW) - that is the responsibility of the folks actually processing the data and organising the scheme.

The volunteers do receive training before they are allowed to take part, and some of that training is indeed about Data Protection, privacy etc.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

peirre:
It gives them a sense of purpose in retirement and keeps them out of the nursing home. Maybe in another couple of years Rob will be the one stood at the side of the road wearing a clean hiviz and holding a speed camera

If I am I’ll make sure you are the first one I catch. :smiley:

years back i heard about a local oldie that had a habit of stepping into the road arms waving when speeders were approaching to pass his home ,course motorist slows right down thinking its an emergency then he waves em on . Anyhoo i was heading his way in a old Sherpa van , took ages to get up to steam but when it was up it hated slowing. im prob doing 50+ and then suddenly up ahead here he steps right out arms waving but i grip the wheel and cannon on straight at him he was lucky he stepped back at last second his face was a picture!

corij:
years back i heard about a local oldie that had a habit of stepping into the road arms waving when speeders were approaching to pass his home ,course motorist slows right down thinking its an emergency then he waves em on . Anyhoo i was heading his way in a old Sherpa van , took ages to get up to steam but when it was up it hated slowing. im prob doing 50+ and then suddenly up ahead here he steps right out arms waving but i grip the wheel and cannon on straight at him he was lucky he stepped back at last second his face was a picture!

:laughing: I’d love to have seen that…nice one.

I think you’d be hard pressed to tell if a car is going 30 or 35 mph just standing there watching it go by. At the end of the day these highway vigilantes give the police a list of registrations and say what ? " These cars LOOKED like they were speeding". The alleged (always wanted to say that) offence wasn’t witnessed by the police so where’s the proof ?

Just thought, maybe these vigilantes have calibrated eyeballs like the six million dollar man. :sunglasses:

remy:
I think you’d be hard pressed to tell if a car is going 30 or 35 mph just standing there watching it go by. At the end of the day these highway vigilantes give the police a list of registrations and say what ? " These cars LOOKED like they were speeding". The alleged (always wanted to say that) offence wasn’t witnessed by the police so where’s the proof ?

Just thought, maybe these vigilantes have calibrated eyeballs like the six million dollar man. :sunglasses:

Um - they use the same hand-held radar guns as the Police do…

Roymondo:

remy:

You seem to know quite a lot about it, and you were quite defensive when I first mentioned it …anything to tell us about your weekend activities?

robroy:

Roymondo:

remy:

You seem to know quite a lot about it, and you were quite defensive when I first mentioned it …anything to tell us about your weekend activities?

Bit of gardening, bit of cycling, a few beers. Might wash the cars, might (one day) get around to fixing the bloody motorbike. Speed enforcement is a distant memory from an earlier career. ■■■■ - I’ve not wielded a hand-held radar gun for 20 years or more!

Ain’t often I’m wrong …but I’m right again. :sunglasses:
:smiley: