Nearly 500 threads on speed cameras!

I did a site search and found nearly 500 threads on the subject of speed cameras :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused:

Am I the only one on here who doesn’t care how many there are :question: :question:

Can someone explain what the problem is only I am having trouble in understanding the viewpoints & concerns given by some others.

Perhaps it is the way I view things as I think - keep safe, keep legal…

Am I wrong to view things in this way :question:

youre a saddo for counting the threads in the first place :laughing:
no you’re not the only one who doesn’t care how many there are.
i think most people don’t mind them at blackspots i.e around schools etc,
its when they’re used as a cash cow on open roads that people object to them.

biggusdickusgb:
youre a saddo for counting the threads in the first place :laughing:

I know but i’m in one of those moods :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG, you want to try living in the real world.

With things like deadlines, booking in times, tachograph laws. It’s difficult to keep to one set of laws without breaking another.

Try working on general haulage for a month or 2 and then comment on how many complaints there are about scameras.

They are nothing to do with road safety, they are revenue raisers, the majority are before you say anything.

You maybe able to get someone to pass a test but you don’t teach them how to drive day in day out in differing traffic conditions.

do your best not to give them the buisness . its the only way keep to the limits you feel more relaxed and smug knowing they are not getting your money…i did get caught once down in bath ,bath rd i think but it was back in the time limits were lowerd because of the fuel shortage, i thuoght that was unfair but i thought i would do my best to not get done again

An interesting point ROG.

Although, of course, you by the very nature of your job are entirely focussed on the driving aspect of the job, within the limits of the law and to the drivers best ability, with the hope of getting them a license.

As soon as a driver is out on the road the sheer number of other factors that comes into play can be distracting:
Have I got enough fuel, is it loaded correctly, am I on time, do I need to take a detour to avoid a blockage, are there any low bridges, why is that flipping phone ringing again etc etc etc.

I think it would be fair to say that sometimes other considerations can cause standards to slip momentarily in other areas (I.E keeping an eye on the speedo for a second) and we can get caught out.

IF the job was purely “Get this load safely and legally to XYZ” then I’m sure there would be far less threads about speed cameras.
BUT sadly, ROG, thats not what you get told these days, its “This load needs to be in XYZ in 3 hours, its 170 miles, its urgent”

I personally don’t speed, but when the cab-phone is ringing, you are looking at a map to work out your route, the traffic is heavy and you’re five minutes late. Its quite easy to take your eye off the speedo for a second and, accidentally or not, break the speed limit and get caught doing so!

Just my take on the subject.

Alex

I think i’m beggining to get the picture.

Am I right in thinking that it is down to the way an individual driver perceives what is important in the way of priorities.
The priorities being something other than safe & legal first :question:

Am I on the right track :question:

EDIT - make that just legal as it could be safe but not legal

i think most peoples emphasis is on safe,
after all is said and done it’s only illegal if you get caught.

Speed cameras save 100 lives per year according to the government.
An independant study showed that 50 lives were saved each year.
However how many are killed or injured by these things?
Theres no need for me to explain why they are dangerous. You’ve all seen what happens.

limeyphil:
Speed cameras save 100 lives per year according to the government.
An independant study showed that 50 lives were saved each year.
However how many are killed or injured by these things?
Theres no need for me to explain why they are dangerous. You’ve all seen what happens.[/quote

Not acording to the council, they ain’t paying any more, for the up keep, as it’s a money grabbing sceme, and saves no lives …

On ye go the council, it will be a first!!! for them to go against the goverment…

P.S as from today …

I belive Swindon is doing away with their fixed speed cameras
but will be useing more of the mobile speed sytems to control
the speedsters

The death toll rate has not gone down since the 90s which is when I think most of the cameras were installed. (not sure on this point)

Does that mean that the cameras are keeping the rate down :question:

I suppose the only way to find out would be to switch them all off for a year and find out :exclamation: :bulb: :question:

If it is not the cameras that are keeping the death toll rate steady since the 90s - what else could it be - car design? - better driving habits? - better roads? …

only 6% of accidents are caused by people breaking speed limits and yet almost 100% of the government’s road safety money is being invested in speed cameras. The speed camera doesn’t stop the disqualified driver speeding past and then hitting and killing someone does it, would a copper be able to stop it probably.

ROG:
The death toll rate has not gone down since the 90s which is when I think most of the cameras were installed. (not sure on this point)

I suppose the only way to find out would be to switch them all off for a year and find out :exclamation: :bulb: :question:

If it is not the cameras that are keeping the death toll rate steady since the 90s - what else could it be - car design? - better driving habits? - better roads? …

its not just the cameras that have cut the death toll

safety is the key better cars,truck on the road

the death toll as gone down since the 90s but there is more cars on the roads more trucks so i think that speed is problem and we all have to whatch it or we could become part of these satistices.

at the end of the day a camera will only stop speeding in the area that the camera is.
it would be intresting to see what the figures are after the camera.

ROG:
I did a site search and found nearly 500 threads on the subject of speed cameras :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused:

Am I the only one on here who doesn’t care how many there are :question: :question:

contradiction in terms there me thinks :unamused:

What would happen to the country if every driver kept to40 mph. on single carriageways.?
would there be very long tailbacks of angry motorists,at junctions other drivers would chance it because if you dont go infront of the lorry you wait all day !!As in most things common sense should be applied.The inappropriate use of speed is dangerous

Churchill:

ROG:

contradiction in terms there me thinks :unamused:

I was referring to the amount of negativity given the amount of postings and wondered why I was not feeling the same way

ROG:

I heard that there’s been a slight increase in deaths on the roads in recent years and that the UK no longer has the safest roads in Europe that they used to. Also, correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t the rise in speed cameras coincided with a fall in traffic police on the roads?

mrpj:
I heard that there’s been a slight increase in deaths on the roads in recent years and that the UK no longer has the safest roads in Europe that they used to. Also, correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t the rise in speed cameras coincided with a fall in traffic police on the roads?

yes you only seem to see coppers when there has been a collision never see em any other time.

From the mouth of one of our countries finest, ie. A traffic cop.
They have speed cameras instead of police speed traps because traffic cops can only catch 1 at na time then has to process each one, a scamera can catch every speeder and therefore is more cost effective.
To me that says they are revenue raisers not for safety, you can go as fast as you want between the cameras and slow down when approaching one.