nhs vs private

I wont bore everyone with the details but i need an mri scan. I have been told that there is a 6 month waiting list on the nhs. There is a private hospital near me that i can have the scan done pretty much the next day once my nhs gp has refered me. The report will go back to my nhs gp. Question is if i pay for the scan privatly can i then have any treatment i may need on the nhs. Has anyone done this?

cooper1203:
I wont bore everyone with the details but i need an mri scan. I have been told that there is a 6 month waiting list on the nhs. There is a private hospital near me that i can have the scan done pretty much the next day once my nhs gp has refered me. The report will go back to my nhs gp. Question is if i pay for the scan privatly can i then have any treatment i may need on the nhs. Has anyone done this?

Probably depend on the treatment required I would expect, as in medicine, operation, treatment, and then how long their ques are.

Only example I could offer is dental scenario, while ago needed an extraction, and was either A&E or private, so went private, told need more work following it in respect to a denture, and was told needed to go private again for it, or wait until NHS space, as although front tooth, not critical in their view,
Quite different to your scenario, but from this experince with NHS would either plan to go private throughout, or just wait, or you could pay out alot of money, just to still be waiting… this is what they want though, everyone on private, and eventually the NHS privatised, as last cash cow … they’ve bled everything else dry… so its just a case of time unfortunately.

cooper1203:

Yes you can, that’s a good use of your money. I have no experience but your GP should be able to confirm.

Bit like merge in turn, some say queue jumping, some say saving NHS resources.

Entirely up to you mate, but you should not have to, as I presume you have paid into the system over the years.
Hitch a ride on a dinghy in Calais, you will sure as hell qualify then. :imp:

This is exactly why you can virtually no longer get a GP appointment, it was originally blamed on Covid, but that’s wearing a bit thin now.
They want us all to go private, so they are encouraging it by slow servuce to sickens you of waiting. just like dentistry has become, it’s just the usual hidden agenda stuff going on by the Govt, nothing new.

thanks for the replies. normaly i would wait for the nhs service as with everyone here thats why we have paid our stamp for as long as we have been working along with our parents etc etc. However as my issue has potential to be life changing if it gets worse i feel i cant wait. I just dont have the money to pay for the operation if it is what they susspect.

stu675:
Bit like merge in turn, some say queue jumping, some say saving NHS resources.

Dont get me started on wasting nhs resources. I went to my gp last week because the symptoms were getting worse but they hadnt changed into what i was told to watch out for,

dr refused to examine me just said you were told if they get worse go to a and e. i did go after much deliberation. you now have to see 3 different people before your booked in and triaged. while waiting to be seen an elderly man and a carer came in because his cathiter had come out sent by his dr’s surgery because the district nurse was on holliday. another young couple came in with a baby saying they had tried to get a doctors appointment but they had been told to come to a and e because all the doctors were off due to an outbreak of covid.

when i was triaged i was sent to this side clinc where there was a woman that was vomiting regually white as a sheet and crying in pain. she asked the nurse for some pain relife stating she couldnt have co-codomol and ibuprufin and to check her notes to confirm this. the nurse went off and came back 10 mins later saying here is some ibuprufin.

I get she might of been trying to pull the wool over the nurses eyes and they probably get it 10 times a day but this woman was clearly in pain and suffering badly didnt look like a druggy (to me) and had started they could check her notes.

My wife was having knee trouble and had two or three sessions with an osteopath (private £35.00 / session) there was no improvement and the osteo referred her to a unit about 25 miles away for an MRI scan which we paid for (£400)
At that time we lived 200 yards from a private Spires hospital and she booked an appointment with a consultant there (£200)
On seeing the results of the scan he recommended trying steroid injections which he gave her on the NHS.

The injections only provided temporary relief so the consultant advised surgery, he wrote to our GP and after a bit of back and forwards he was able to put her on his list at the Spire and the operation was done there but on the NHS.

As mentioned in previous posts it is all down to the treatment required and the urgency of your situation.

Maybe your best bet is to get the scan done asap and then contact your local private hospital to see if they have a consultant in that field, pay for the initial consultation with him / her and then see what the situation is then.

Tyneside

It shouldn`t be necessary, but in the real world,
If you can afford to get an earlier private scan and diagnosis, then you can make a choice afterwards on the way to go.

If it is all clear, then you can smile and get on with life.
If it needs treatment then you can push for the correct treatment.

Either way you will be better off by knowing the facts.
Good luck.

robroy:
Entirely up to you mate, but you should not have to, as I presume you have paid into the system over the years.
Hitch a ride on a dinghy in Calais, you will sure as hell qualify then. :imp:

This is exactly why you can virtually no longer get a GP appointment, it was originally blamed on Covid, but that’s wearing a bit thin now.
They want us all to go private, so they are encouraging it by slow servuce to sickens you of waiting. just like dentistry has become, it’s just the usual hidden agenda stuff going on by the Govt, nothing new.

Nah - its not the thousands arriving illegally - its the million arriving legally.

JeffA:

robroy:

Nah - its not the thousands arriving illegally - its the million arriving legally.

Exactly this, they want people upset about the boat mob being ferried in at our expense, meanwhile half a million a year or more waltz in quite legally and no one bats an eyelid, can’t imagine for one moment why there’s a housing crisis :unamused:

Next year the electorate will once again trot off and vote for the same parties they always do and once again expect a different result, truly the electorate are dumb beyond belief, little wonder politicians and those who own them treat the public with contempt.

clown.PNG

These days, there’s a lot of people that have already died, especially in the last 3 years - “because they couldn’t afford to GO private”.

“NHS Neglect” I call it.
The people that have paid in the most money over the longest period of time - should be the ones MOST helped by the NHS these days, NOT treated as “Benefit Scoungers” from former “Pensioners” and get kicked into touch by young Lefties who thing that Oldsters should hurry up and die off, so they can get their free stuff, even kids wanting their parents dead so they can get the house - is not uncommon to hear on University campuses these days…