Getting the snip

i never thought i would post this topic on this site but i need to ask someone.

i have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling so i can get in and get the op. i have a rough idea about the surgery itself so im not worried about that. what does concern me is whether or not the doctor will get me booked in for it. does anyone know the administrative procedures and criteria? if they wont put me in can i opt for a private operation? one way or another i want the operation ASAP

scanny77:
to get the ball rolling

That’s a rather unfortunate turn of phrase !! :wink: :laughing:

Scanny I’m pretty sure your GP will give you a refferal for the snip. The wait depends on the NHS area
you are in. The Glasgow area the wait is about 6mths the last I heard.

If you can go private then I suspect you could probably get seen to within a fortnight or so.

6 months for a 10 minute operation? :open_mouth:

how do i go private? im not with any private health care companies so i am assuming they will carry out the op for a fee without membership

Yep, they would, Google is now your friend. :wink:

Colingl:
Yep, they would, Google is now your friend. :wink:

£400 private Jan 2009

thanks lads :smiley:

I :astonished: called the clinic,and they cut me off.

scanny77:

i have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling so i can get in and get the op. i have a rough idea about the surgery itself so im not worried about that. what does concern me is whether or not the doctor will get me booked in for it. does anyone know the administrative procedures and criteria? if they wont put me in can i opt for a private operation? one way or another i want the operation ASAP

GET THE BALL ROLLING!! HAHA sorry couldn’t help myself. I am very proud of you talking steps to get the op done. Most men would look to the missus to get it done and might I add that even with how the surgery for women has evolved now, there are the hormone problems to take into account too.
WELL DONE YOU! Was it the number of kids you have or the missus crossing her legs that prompted the decision? :wink:

MissHope:

scanny77:

GET THE BALL ROLLING!! HAHA sorry couldn’t help myself. I am very proud of you talking steps to get the op done. Most men would look to the missus to get it done and might I add that even with how the surgery for women has evolved now, there are the hormone problems to take into account too.
WELL DONE YOU! Was it the number of kids you have or the missus crossing her legs that prompted the decision? :wink:

not a cat in hells chance of somebody chopping a way at my pride and joy :wink: ,no need to look to the missus either, just buy some jonnies :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

After 5 weeks of sleepless nights with our youngest, I phoned my doctor for a chat, when he realised that I was adamant about getting it done, he put me on the waiting list. 5 days later I got a call offering me a cancellation. I was inbetween night shifts at my old job, I stayed up drove to the hospital, had the op at 10, checked out by 12, drove home and was back on night shift at 7. My boss asked me why I was walking like I’d been riding a horse for a month, and when I told him I’d had the snip earlier that day, he put me in the office manning the phones with my feet up. :wink: Best move I ever made, we can now get down and dirty whenever we wany without worrying about contraception and nipper number 4!!

Scanny, a wee (true) story for you to ponder . . . . .

A couple of years ago, my mate, Geordie, gave in to the nagging from his wife about getting the snip. He went to the doctor who did the usual initial consultation before sending him away to think about it for a week or so. The consultation went along the following lines. (G = Geordie, D = Doctor)

G. I’m thinking of having the snip. What’s involved.

D. It’s a simple enough procedure. Can be done in a day. How much research have you done into it?

G. I’m here, ain’t I?

D. Okay - here are a few facts and figures. 40% of blokes who have this procedure are left with a dull aching pain, similar to when you get hit in the balls, which lasts for anywhere between 6 weeks to 6 months. 10% of those blokes never get rid of that pain but learn to live with it.

G. Zb’ing hell Doc!!

D. Having said that, it can make things better at home, particularly for your wife.

G. Yeah, but . . . . . .

D. Anyway, take that info with you, have a think about it and make an appointment to come back and see me in a week or so and we can get things started.

G. Can I ask you a more personal question?

D. Yes, no problem.

G. Have you got any kids?

D. Yes.

G. Are you planning on having any more?

D. Definitely not. My wife is a career woman, also a Doctor, and the 2 we have is fine for us.

G. So have you had the snip?

D. No. Not now, not ever! And that’s with my wife’s blessing. But don’t let that influence your decision . . . . . . .

G. I’ll be seeing ya . . . . . maybe if I’ve got flue or broke me leg but me nads are staying just as they are thanks!!

Last I heard, Geordie spends more time down the pub and less time ‘on the job’ nowadays. :laughing:

P.S. Mrs Tandy knows Geordie and his Mrs. Following Geordie’s experience she has said she wouldn’t want me to do it - bless her!! :wink:

much easier for a man than a woman trust me as i do know

for a woman it is an overnite in hospital then another several weeks off work no heavy liftin for upto 6 mth then there is also the small risk of havin to have a hysterectomy a few yrs later

I was lucky that when my wife was in dock for some small surgery many years ago,she asked if it was possible to give her the snip while they were down there.
Keyhole surgery,1" scar,sorted!
My brother had the snip,and went away for an anniversary 12 months later,and his love spuds decided to swell up to several times their normal size and he finished up back in hospital!
There must be a private hospital near you,we have a Nuffield hospital on our doorstep that does many private operations.Contact your nearest and ask them for a price and waiting time.

It’s easy and mostly painless …
Take pain killers on the day of the opperation at least 2 amounts before arriving (IE 7am then 11am opperation 12 noon)
My operation went like this

1. Freeze nut sack
  2. 2 sml injections each side of nut sack by the testies
  3. 2 small insisons pull your tube’s (each side) out and cut ( usualy with a heat gun/knife thing that cuts and seals as it burns through ) they cut between 1 and 2 cm’s away
  4. tuck tubes back in and stitch up insisions…
  5. go home and place LARGE BAG of FROZEN PEAS on nuts to reduce swelling and brusing get Mrs to bring beer etc for the rest of the day

as soon as poss your ment to shake hands with mr snake as much as you can :open_mouth: some blood will be present this is designed to clear out the pipe work of any of ur little tad poles :laughing: samples are then given over a period of time to ensure that the operation has worked …

There is a chance that the pipework can rejoin and thus the operation has to be repeated :open_mouth: :blush:

Had mine done and was back at work the next night shunting they were pretty good and most of the night i had drivers shifting things around for me :wink:
It was done on a friday as they say that gives the weekend to allow brusing etc to go down you must not strain or do lifting for about a week after

All in all not to bad just the shaking later was uncomfortable :open_mouth:

mine wasnt key hole as they didnt do that when i had mine done i did later have a hysterectomy due to this some yrs later they did however use the same scar, so 1 small scar on the bikini line

MissHope:

scanny77:

i dont have kids or a missus. this is an op i have wanted since i was 16 and my 32nd birthday merely reminded me that i am now of an age where the doctor might take me seriously. i know they are concerned that people in their 20s change their minds which is why i have waited.

i appreciate the warnings that have been posted but i am going to take my chances. statistics dont prove anything and there are risks attached to pretty much every decision you make in life. the fact is that over the counter contraceptives are a risk as they are not 100% either and it would only take one accident. i am going ahead with this in april. i could have it sooner but i will be in training for 2 months and i am not prepared to miss any of it. i am basically beginning a new life and a vasectomy is part of the process after i start my new career

scanny77:
GETTING THE SNIP.

[…]

i dont have kids or a missus. this is an op i have wanted since i was 16

WTF? Why the hell do you want the snip then? Actually don’t answer that… The thought of additional Scanny77s in the world is enough of reason to make sure it never happens at all costs. :open_mouth: :grimacing: :grimacing:

simple. i dont have the necessary traits to be a father. the only thing that keeps me breathing in and out is work. kids would become an obstruction and i would resent them. the responsible course of action is to guarantee that i can make the most of the next 20 or 30 years knowing that the worst case scenario cannot present itself to me

The snip?

I just leave the light on, catch sight of the missus and lose any urges I had. Simple…