Highest immigration since WW2

Is the enormous number of migrants from outside the EU (Africa etc) going to have the same effect on wages/jobs in HGV work as EU migration did?

Must feel really silly if you voted Brexit to “cut migration”.

Can you buy a C+E licence in Africa? :smiley:

Why silly? let down perhaps.

dally1:
Why silly? let down perhaps.

Or…

Gullible

Actually, I think most people I spoke to, (which is admittedly a rather focused group) spoke mostly about stopping the free movement of East Europeans, on account that they abused our benefit system, and/or held wages down. In that respect, they did get what they voted for.

Of course, the law of unintended consequences means that we now also don’t have enough people to harvest fruit and vegetables of the fields, and that we will see an increase of migrant workers from Afrika and Asia…

I listened to an analysis of this on Radio 4, apparently a large portion of this surprisingly high number can be accounted for by:

1. the various schemes to help Ukrainians, I don’t imagine many of us are going to object to that, and

2. Foreign students studying at our universities. I know that will bring a gut-instinct negative reaction from many, but having worked in the university establishment I can tell you that these students bring in far more money to a university town/city than either a UK student does, and often more than many newly created jobs do.

I don’t know what today’s figures are, but back around 2000-ish Newcastle University and University of Northumbria at Newcastle, together generated more money for the city than all the other industry combined for the whole area.

Also, foreign students say they want to study here because it’s simply better and there are more opportunities, especially for work after their studies are completed.

So, that’s a big one-in-the-eye for those others who claim Britain is zb’ed

I dont see a problem with the regulated people who come to our shores. They dont really attend University to become drivers any way. Its the young men in rubber boats that we get a bit tetchy about.

alamcculloch:
I dont see a problem with the regulated people who come to our shores. They dont really attend University to become drivers any way. Its the young men in rubber boats that we get a bit tetchy about.

MP Tim Loughton asks Home Sec Braverman how a young persecuted individual, with a relative in the UK can apply for asylum here.

youtube.com/watch?v=2NfvkxOkRBE

Get in a rubber boat…ask when you arrive. Most asylum applications succeed, by the way.

The ones in the boats are only tens of thousands tho - its the 1.1 million that have the biggest impact.

A lot of the “foreign students” just get into the country on a course then drop out and enter the jobs market - lot safer than the boats.

So the dum ■■■■■ who believed the hype of vote for brexit and stop immigration were deceived :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just reading about students and Newcastle uni. I remember an incident involving students from a middle eastern country. My daughter was in halls of residence there training to be a nurse. Two of the other blocks there, housed medical students from other countries. in one were Chinese students and the other, students from a middle eastern country.
She rang us one evening all excited. The halls housing the middle eastern students was under siege from riot police and there was a stand off going on.
Apparently, a student had been caught stealing from his fellow students and they in turn were going to chop his hand off. Perhaps not the sort of doctors I want to do my vasectomy.
Needless to say, her mum and I didn’t sleep too well that night.

drover:
So the dum [zb] who believed the hype of vote for brexit and stop immigration were deceived :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It’s worse than that - the only positive effect Brexit could possibly have had was a decrease in migration. If migrations going through the roof what is the point of Brexit? All we got out of it was a massive drop in living standards, enormous problems with trade between us and Europe and a recession.

I think it’s time to rejoin.

dally1:
Apparently, a student had been caught stealing from his fellow students and they in turn were going to chop his hand off.

I’m going to stick my neck out and risk being labelled as politically incorrect (which my kids claim I mostly am anyways :laughing: ) but I would suggest this is the reason many people are uncomfortable with the UKs attitude to immigration, that we don’t make a sufficiently strong point that its “our country, our laws, if you don’t like it, there’s the door”. We bend over backwards not to offend other cultures and claim their views are “valid”.

More covertly than hand-chopping is the abhorrent and grossly illegal practice imported by certain overseas cultures, of Female Genital Mutilation, this is widespread in many UK-based communities and delibrately kept hidden from UK authorities.

There are other issues to immigration, such as the increase in certain diseases, particularly drug-resistant TB which has been identified to be linked to the influx of UK residents from the African continent.

Brexit …covid …A war in Ukraine …you can not blame brexit for anything yet. cast your eyes to the eu take your rose tinted specs off and look at the mess over there . This mess has been caused by the dim wits of all parties since the 1950s they have all s… on the working man , you must have noticed all the money getting dished out but for years they tell us we have no money we all have to work longer ect ect Brexit don,t make me laugh

fuse:
Brexit …covid …A war in Ukraine …you can not blame brexit for anything yet. cast your eyes to the eu take your rose tinted specs off and look at the mess over there . This mess has been caused by the dim wits of all parties since the 1950s they have all s… on the working man , you must have noticed all the money getting dished out but for years they tell us we have no money we all have to work longer ect ect Brexit don,t make me laugh

The OBR report shows

Graph…obr.uk/docs/C2.I-1.jpg
From Report…obr.uk/box/the-latest-evidence- … -uk-trade/

Many countries were badly affected in 2020.
This shows how G7 countries, advanced economies, USA, EU, Japan, are all recovering much better than the UK.
Germany, with it`s strong dependence on Russian energy is doing better!

If it isn`t Brexit, what is it then? What is it holding us back more than the rest?

This ceased to be particularly about wagons and driving from about post two, so it’s off to Bully’s Bar. :grimacing:

Franglais:
If it isn`t Brexit, what is it then? What is it holding us back more than the rest?

The clowns who are trying to implement it.
Course…now that we can democratically decide who runs our affairs…what we really need is a brand new party,who’ll give us the brexit we voted for.

commonrail:

Franglais:

The clowns who are trying to implement it.
Course…now that we can democratically decide who runs our affairs…what we really need is a brand new party,who’ll give us the brexit we voted for.

Implement…exactly …what?

“Brexit is Brexit” “Get Brexit Done” “Take Back Control”
Slogans. Mantras. Something to repeat and chant.

If Brexit was about leaving the EU, we have.
If it was about sunlit uplands and unicorns, then you will have a hard job finding anyone capable of delivering that!

JeffA:
Is the enormous number of migrants from outside the EU (Africa etc) going to have the same effect on wages/jobs in HGV work as EU migration did?

Must feel really silly if you voted Brexit to “cut migration”.

No because it’s people on Tier 2 visas and students in the main, not unrestricted migration from the EU, so they’re not going to end up driving lorries as HGV driving isn’t on the Tier 2 skills shortage list and students have limitations on work with HGV driving not anywhere on the list of things they’re interested in doing. In regards to your comments about Brexit perhaps you should go learn about how Tier 2 visas and UK immigration now work, it’ll save you looking like a clueless moron like most remain voters seem to be. As a remain voter myself it saddens me just how clueless many in the remain camp are.

the nodding donkey:
Of course, the law of unintended consequences means that we now also don’t have enough people to harvest fruit and vegetables of the fields, and that we will see an increase of migrant workers from Afrika and Asia…

No, we don’t have enough people willing to do it for poor wages and having most of those wages taken off them in “rent” by the farmer for the static caravan they’re put up in. The fact the Eastern Europeans who stayed here are no longer willing to do it because of how much exploitation goes on in agriculture tells you all you need to know.

African and Asian workers have always been able to come here to work on farms under seasonal worker visas.