so much for using such services

So, Amazon are ditching Visa from later this month for payment of accounts, which means unless Visa and Amazon come to a last minute deal i’m either going to have to find another credit card for my Amazon account or link my debit card, which i’d prefer not to.

Had a brainwave, yes i know more like a ripple than a wave, and checked moneysavingexpert for credit card suggestions, only use the card for online purchases and clear the bill automatically when it comes in, i’m averse to giving rich people and institutions my hard earned for credit i don’t want.

Anyway mse have a nice little service where you put in your details and they list the cards you are most likely to be approved for.
So, i do so and sure enough there’s a list of cards that i would easily be approved for, had been thinking of AMEX or Mastercard, but neither of those were listed.
However at the bottom was a list of cards i wouldn’t be eligible for, one of which was Barclaycard, which was interesting because here i am looking at my BC with a quite ridiculous credit limit i’ve had for many years.

So, from my experience today about as much use as a chocolate teapot for me, which appears the new normal, so i might as well ask a bunch of hairy arsed lorry drivers (we’ll assume the lady truckers here don’t have hairy arses) for suggestions.

Which card would you go for and why, wasn’t all that bothered about cashback though maybe i should, AMEX platinum is free and gives a small cashback on purchases, haven’t a clue about Mastercard and from their site it seems you have to visit a bank or summat to apply which i can’t be arsed TBH.
The interest rate charged is of little importance as the bill will be cleared automatically end of each period so no interest chargeable, the card will probably never leave the house as prefer using cash for purchases while the new world order still allows the use of, larger purchases ie if i was to buy a car usually use my debit card or bank transfer but maybe that’s wrong and i should use a credit card for a part of the cost for the additional consumer protections they apparently provide.

Get yourself a Revolut card.
It’s a card which you can transfer money onto and use like a credit/debit card.
It’s great for the kids if they are away and you want to transfer money to them or you simply use it for online purchases.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

lizard:
Get yourself a Revolut card.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

This ^^^^ I have a Revolut card which is the only card I use that touches the interweb. If I want to buy something from Amazon or wherever I simply transfer the money from my Barclays account onto it and then click buy. It has no overdraft facilities and normally has a £0 balance in case anybody somehow gets my details.

Food for thought there gents, much obliged.

I’m sure it’s obvious to most people but I think it should be made clear that you’re part of Curve’s affiliate programme and you get paid for getting people to join via your link.

tachograph:
I’m sure it’s obvious to most people but I think it should be made clear that you’re part of Curve’s affiliate programme and you get paid for getting people to join via your link.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like my post was just removed without so much as a by your leave. How rude!

I have Monzo and…

Starling bank internet only accounts. Both cards are widely accepted in the street and across the net. I just put the amount in that I want to spend from my current account with NatWest.

I had WhatsApp on my old phone.
Just text my mates what I want to spend on DIY or “get someone else to Do It” and it`s sorted! Free!
:smiley:

I still think what I said is best (which included getting someone else to pay for it![emoji23])

stu675:

tachograph:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like my post was just removed without so much as a by your leave. How rude!

Your post was moved into storage. There was nothing particularly worrying about the contents but it really did look as if you were trying to sell a service, which is against forum rules without first seeking permission. You wrote:

Heads up! Don’t miss £5 plus 1% cashback on (almost) everything for 30 days when you sign-up to Curve using my link

If you like, I’ll restore your post minus the above comment.

ERF-NGC-European:

stu675:

tachograph:

Your post was moved into storage. There was nothing particularly worrying about the contents but it really did look as if you were trying to sell a service, which is against forum rules without first seeking permission. You wrote:

Heads up! Don’t miss £5 plus 1% cashback on (almost) everything for 30 days when you sign-up to Curve using my link

AHH right. Yes that part of the comment was not by me. Must be auto-generated from the link.
Iirc I said I get something out if it, not actually sure what it is. But for the most part I have been using Curve for a couple of years and am happy with the service, so happy to recommend and the point of my affiliate link instead of a generic one was that the new person gets a fiver.

stu675:

ERF-NGC-European:

stu675:

tachograph:

AHH right. Yes that part of the comment was not by me. Must be auto-generated from the link.
Iirc I said I get something out if it, not actually sure what it is. But for the most part I have been using Curve for a couple of years and am happy with the service, so happy to recommend and the point of my affiliate link instead of a generic one was that the new person gets a fiver.

Thank you for the explanation and for your forbearance! :sunglasses:

Here is your original post in full:

Use Curve.
Is a debit card (MasterCard) so will be accepted by Amazon and everywhere else.
It’s like a wallet for all your existing Credit and Debit cards. So you pay with Curve but it instantly takes the payment from your credit card(if that is the first choice you have chosen, it can even go through all your cards until one is accepted - anti embarrassment mode). ( You can even go back in time a month and change which card you used for each purchase)
Here’s a link (you get something,I get something)
Heads up! Don’t miss £5 plus 1% cashback on (almost) everything for 30 days when you sign-up to Curve using my link curve.com/join#G5HAN
Hope I’ve explained it? I think it’s fantastic.
I don’t think there’s a credit check to apply for it, because Curve never give you credit, that’s the job of your existing Credit cards, which you continue to use in the background.

Still not decided, more time at the end of the week, thankyou for all the suggestions peoples.

I’d stay away from AMEX as it’s surprising how many places don’t take it in the UK.
Funnily enough I see Amazon have a Mastercard!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

You can relax Juddian, I heard a news report earlier today that Amazon and Visa have reached an “agreement “ whatever TF that means! I suspect that in their voracious pursuit of profit Amazon have realised that cutting of their noses to spite their faces will in fact have detrimental financial repercussions.

Yes i saw that Maoster, had a feeling they’d come to an agreement at the last minute.
However, despite this i’m still going for a cashback card, wouldn;t have bothered before but so much of our puchasing is now online might as well get a couple of quid back.

Using cash for all shop purchases and will continue to do so until the WEF declare the world theirs and bans cash.