Credit cards

I’m applying for my first credit card tomorrow wich I’ve been told will more or less be accepted for it, I’ve never had 1 before it will be 9months interest free from account opening , other than leaving it with the other half are they bad or are they handy ? I’m not getting 1 for any particular reason I just thought could come in handy

The only way is down :laughing:
I regret getting my first CC, though I have been around the world on one :laughing:

Don’t need it don’t start it. Would you offer the tax man extra money freely? And you left it with the woman■■? :open_mouth:

I never bothered with credit cards either ,until someone managed to buy an I pad using my details ,luckily the bank refunded me the money ,apparently they don’t have to if it is a normal debit card ,that’s what they told me .They reckon if using ebay etc a credit card is more secure and so is your money …

My card is left at home ,I do use it on ebay ,and then go in to my online account and pay it off…It can also be good for emergencys …Luckily I haven’t had one yet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …If used correctly and not treated as free money they are ok,as technically it is the banks money till you pay it off

Easy to use and hard to pay back. I wish I never had one…

norb:
I never bothered with credit cards either ,until someone managed to buy an I pad using my details ,luckily the bank refunded me the money ,apparently they don’t have to if it is a normal debit card ,that’s what they told me .They reckon if using ebay etc a credit card is more secure and so is your money …

My card is left at home ,I do use it on ebay ,and then go in to my online account and pay it off…It can also be good for emergencys …Luckily I haven’t had one yet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …If used correctly and not treated as free money they are ok,as technically it is the banks money till you pay it off

This is what I thought they could be handy if something breaks etc… I’m not going to go on a shopping spree lol , if I buy something off the card and pay it straight off will my credit rating be on the up

norb:

Agreed, it is useful if you are the 1 in 20 who can use it like that. But that’s not what the financial parasites rely on. They know their customers,spend,spend,spend…!

Shop around to get the best card, lowest interest rate, cash back on purchases, etc.

You will most likely start off with a low credit limit (about £500 ).If you are a good customer they will automatically raise this limit.You can tell them to bring it back down again if you want to,remember its your money they are not doing you any favours when they lend.

as my old fella once said

credit cards only the rich or the foolish have one!

Ive never had one

I have a pre pay credit card, rarely use it, also no debt :smiley:

alamcculloch:
You will most likely start off with a low credit limit (about £500 ).If you are a good customer they will automatically raise this limit.You can tell them to bring it back down again if you want to,remember its your money they are not doing you any favours when they lend.

£3000 limit I will have , like I say not going to go and blast it , more for emergencies really or treats for myself lol

Smoggie89:

norb:

This is what I thought they could be handy if something breaks etc… I’m not going to go on a shopping spree lol , if I buy something off the card and pay it straight off will my credit rating be on the up

Actually your credit rating will go down as you are not borrowing money if you pay it off each month. When the credit crunch started quite a number of people who paid their cards off each month had their cards cancelled as the bank was not making any money from them!

Smoggie89:
I’m not going to go on a shopping spree

You’ll be the 1 in 20 who doesn’t then…and Christmas is coming. The angler dangles the maggot and the fish strikes! You have been warned but you’re just about to open your mouth and swallow that juicy looking maggot. You won’t even feel the hook, just a warm glow that comes with feeling that you’re now a wee bit more special with that little bit of plastic in your pocket.

norb:
until someone managed to buy an I pad using my details ,luckily the bank refunded me the money ,apparently they don’t have to if it is a normal debit card ,that’s what they told me .They reckon if using ebay etc a credit card is more secure and so is your money …

On a credit card they act as a third party to buy the goods then you pay them when you get your statement hence it being more secure. A debit card transaction takes the money straight from your own account.

As for the OP yes they are useful for emergency use providing, as said, you use it that way.

Smoggie89:

alamcculloch:

£3000 limit I will have , like I say not going to go and blast it , more for emergencies really or treats for myself lol

Yeah ■■■■ it!£3000! Go for it! Get yersel a wee holiday, treat yersel! Then come back here and tell us we were wrong with our advice when the penny drops lol, lol, lol, lol, :unamused:

I’ve never had an emergency that came anywhere near £3k and I’m 54 now but no more wasted advice from here you’re wriggling already but you just don’t know it. You’ve convinced yourself.

DrivingMissDaisy:

Smoggie89:

alamcculloch:

Yeah [zb] it!£3000! Go for it! Get yersel a wee holiday, treat yersel! Then come back here and tell us we were wrong with our advice when the penny drops lol, lol, lol, lol, :unamused:

I’ve never had an emergency that came anywhere near £3k and I’m 54 now but no more wasted advice from here you’re wriggling already but you just don’t know it. You’ve convinced yourself.

It will do no harm staying at home , not everyone is bad with money so I’m not going to go and buy something I couldn’t afford or didn’t need

Being the 1 in 20 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I don’t buy unless I can afford it …The exceptions being large value items ,that I may pay off in 2 or 3 months ,which wold be a new tv .which I have never had to do .Apart from the mortgage ,insurance ,I do not have any debt…I generally save for what I want ,though we can all have an emergency …
As I said I only took out the Credit Card on the banks advice after someone managed to buy an I pad with my bank details …I always check he ATM to see if it has been tampered with and only use the same 2 machines ,I cover the keypad when typing in my pin,and the only chip and pin I use is the dreaded snap on …So can only assume it was an internet buy that compromised my details .After all we always have to give the security number on our card…
Some people should never be given a Credit Card,i personally don’t like them ,though I have one …But they do have a use if used sensibly…My biggest spend has been about £100,and I paid it off online straight away
I don’t see why come xmas people spend more than they can afford …I always wanted a bike ,never got one as my parents couldn’t afford it …Live with in your means
Who remembers when you had to go to the bank for a loan ,justify why you needed it and have a guarantor if you defaulted ■■?

They are very handy to have, I have had 1 for 15 years use it most months and pay it of as soon as bill comes. If you buy anything over £100 and something goes wrong they cover it, I have one that doesn’t charge for using it abroad and was travelling in America last month and used it all the time.
I could live without one but wouldn’t want to but if you can not pay it of each month stay away.

Legalise Class A drugs!