Your first Truck

OssieD:
Working for a public works contractor in North London, aged 18 as a labourer but had a licence, was in the yard one morning when the boss came out in the yard shouting and raving about a loaded lorry parked in the yard, a petrol engine O type Bedford, he turned to me and said take that lorry to so and so place, I said I cant drive a lorry he said by the time you get to where your going you’ll be an expert… The start of
the next 50 years on the road, driving most types and makes of lorries, only thing that has been said before, never drove a truck in my life, driven many dozens of lorries and enjoyed every moment of it…

Ossie

Truck, lorry, waggon dos it matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawrence Dunbar:
This heat wave must be to blame for my laptop going daft, :blush: :blush: :blush: , Regards Larry.

I never knew your fleet was that big Larry.lol.

Bewick:

gingerfold:

Bewick:

Ste46:
A small family firm in Derbyshire, working the local gravel pits and limestone quarries. Loved it (at the time!)

Steve

That Trader looks to have an Albion D/D back end, or are my eyes deceiving me ? Great idea though all the same ! Cheers Bewick.

I’ve enlarged the photo, and the hubs are very similar to Albion hubs but I don’t think that they are. Would it be a County conversion, and if so whose axles did they use?

Albion of course ! :wink: I can’t think of another axle manufacturer with hubs similar to the Albions, but County could have purchased the axles from Leyland/Albion for their Ford conversion work ? The only other Trader conversions were trailing axle jobs, Primrose, York and Boyes ? Cheers Dennis.

This motor had Albion axles by Primrose.They also did 6 x 2 conversions.Couny Commercial did 6 x 2 and 6 x 4 for normal use which the design was similar to the 6 x 2 and 6 x 4 on the E.T. models i.e. the Surrey and Sussex.
The Trader had a heavy duty conversion for tipper use with a 2 spring bogie by A.W.D.
J.H.Allen also had a D - Series with a Primrose conversion.Here is a very poor picture of it but I think it was hanging in their workshop behind some plastic.Note the super singles. I will have a go at cleaning it up but will take a long time
Tony

img118.jpg

1st HGV. KKJ 290 E 5LW powered, 5 speed David Brown, Eaton 2 speed axle. It didn’t have the posh mirrrors then. First lorry was a Leyland Terrier dropside.

file (5).jpg