evening all!

Hello folks!

I found this site a couple of weeks ago by chance and have been glued to it ever since looking through the pics and reading the stories!

So, a bit of background about me. I’m 34 and live in east Yorkshire and have been mad on trucks my whole life. My dad was a driver, as was my best mate’s, and every school holiday and spare minute was spent in or around trucks in one way or another. I have literally THOUSANDS of photos and scrapbook cuttings from when I was kid, they’re all in my parents’ loft! I left school at 17 and started working in the warehouse at a local haulage firm and was moved onto multi-drop van work as soon as I passed my car test. However, this only lasted for a couple of years before I got finished and as I needed money fast I got an office job - and that’s where I ended up staying! All I’d ever wanted to do when I was at school was to drive trucks, and my only “career plan” was to NOT go to university and NOT get stuck in an office job - don’t worry, the irony isn’t lost on me! :laughing:

Anyway, fast forward 15+ years to now and my office job is under threat and I’m facing possible redundancy in December. This news has got me thinking that maybe now I can change my path and take my Class 1 (or whatever combination of letters and numbers they give it these days!) and get out on the road. I was just wondering what people thought about that? What are the prospects like for a newly-qualified driver of my age in the current climate? I’m a bit worried about throwing my redundancy money at chasing a childhood dream at this point in my life, and I also think that maybe I’ve got a romanticised/rose-tinted view of what the job is/was from my memories as a kid. But then again, you only live once eh…?

I’m married but don’t have any kids, and we aren’t particularly well off, but my office job pays well which is why I got stuck in the rut I guess. I’m honest, reliable, trustworthy, hard-working, have a great geographical knowledge and memory for roads and all those other things a good employee should be but I’m lacking the hands-on experience and the licence! To be honest, I also enjoy my own company and love travelling (spent a year in Australia when I was 27, and have been all over the world on and off in the last 15-20 years) so figure that being down the road - even in the UK - might help to satisfy that wanderlust a bit.

I’ve looked into local training providers and am confident I’d get through the test without any dramas - I’m just not sure if it’s a bit of a foolhardy thing to consider for a man in my position with a mortgage and bills to pay!

I’d be interested to hear any thoughts and opinions from you, the experts!

Thanks

Kev

ps: I should add that if anyone does reply to this, please don’t think I’m ignoring you if I don’t reply. I’m going on holiday for 3 weeks on saturday (Australia again, the wife has never been!) so I will read and respond accordingly if necessary when I get back! :smiley:

Hi kevchalluk,

In your case, I’d say that you’re in with a good chance cos of your previous experience.
Your enthusiasm shines through too, so I reckon you’ll have most of the ingredients to put you at an advantage. :wink:

:open_mouth: OOOOH goody, I’ve beaten ROG to a welcome. :wink: :grimacing:

Thanks!

Well my previous experience, such as it was, was only driving vans on a car licence half a lifetime ago (literally, I was 18!) so I’m not sure that would count for much. I’ve been emailing local places about non-HGV jobs as my car licence is from 1992 so I can drive 7.5-tonners but not had any luck.

i’m very enthusiastic and passionate about the industry and trucks, and am the sort of person who will put everything into making a success of something (hence me ending up in a management role in the office job on a decent salary!) but I just feel like I’ve let myself down a bit by not following my dream.

Even though driving a truck isn’t much of an ambition, it’s one that could be very easily realised. I’m worried that I’ve left if too late, the industry’s not what it used to be, and I’ll struggle to a) find a job and b) find one that pays enough to pay the bills!

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome kevchalluk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009 but if you passed your car test before 1997 you won’t need to do this.

kevchalluk:
I’m just not sure if it’s a bit of a foolhardy thing to consider for a man in my position with a mortgage and bills to pay!

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:
I strongly suggest that you have a good read of the experiences that newbies have had since passing their tests, especially if you need a regular income for the first 2 years.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

At least another Yorkshireman from t’proper part o country :stuck_out_tongue:

There are jobs in Goole, and Hull is still a thriving port but you still have the experience thing to get over.

Your mates Dad will maybe know the game. I have been left about 8 years but still get to see remaining family when I can

Hi Kevchalluk and welcome :slight_smile:

First of all, I’m no expert, but my story is not that different to your own in terms of the office environment and I’ve let all that go. So, if it’s what you really want to do, don’t let anyone tell you any different. As for the money, to be honest you won’t earn a fortune early on (but you should recoup your training investment quickly as I have) but like anything, with hard work and determination, I’m convinced there are opportunities.

I got my class 2 recently and am getting some agency work. The other morning at around 6.00am I was getting my truck get loaded in a distribution centre watching the sun rise in a red sky and I tell you what, beats being in an office any day! And yes, you do only live once. Will be doing my class 1 any time soon and I’ll see where that takes me.

Goog luck if you decide to go for it :wink:

It looks like you might be a good driver, I worked for a company in Hull called K&J Logistics, I had no experience and pretty much a novice. So it seems like there are companies that will take you on. You might not get a job instantly, I would also insist on being a class 1 driver, I think it will suit you much better.
Regards
Laurie
Tockwith Training

Go for it… i passed my class 1 a few months back, (with tockwith^^ who i’d highly recommend) and am in full time permenant work now. :sunglasses:

Wheel Nut:
At least another Yorkshireman from t’proper part o country :stuck_out_tongue:

There are jobs in Goole, and Hull is still a thriving port but you still have the experience thing to get over.

Your mates Dad will maybe know the game. I have been left about 8 years but still get to see remaining family when I can

I live in Goole actually! One of the good things about being here (one of the only ones!) is that there are still loads of firms in town and it’s only a 30 minute commute to Hull, Leeds, Donny etc if I need to cast my net wider. My mate’s dad is a full-time mechanic now working on trucks for Lift-Trans operating out of the glass factory in Goole, but he was at Chantry for a good 20 years or more and knows loads of people in town.

MAT:
Hi Kevchalluk and welcome :slight_smile:

First of all, I’m no expert, but my story is not that different to your own in terms of the office environment and I’ve let all that go. So, if it’s what you really want to do, don’t let anyone tell you any different. As for the money, to be honest you won’t earn a fortune early on (but you should recoup your training investment quickly as I have) but like anything, with hard work and determination, I’m convinced there are opportunities.

I got my class 2 recently and am getting some agency work. The other morning at around 6.00am I was getting my truck get loaded in a distribution centre watching the sun rise in a red sky and I tell you what, beats being in an office any day! And yes, you do only live once. Will be doing my class 1 any time soon and I’ll see where that takes me.

Goog luck if you decide to go for it :wink:

Thanks for that mate, the more I hear and read things like that more it spurs me on! I’ve done OK out of the office job, but it’s never what I wanted to do and I’m an outdoors sort of person anyway! I know I won’t earn a fortune, but it’s about doing something I want for the love of it

Tockwith Training:
It looks like you might be a good driver, I worked for a company in Hull called K&J Logistics, I had no experience and pretty much a novice. So it seems like there are companies that will take you on. You might not get a job instantly, I would also insist on being a class 1 driver, I think it will suit you much better.
Regards
Laurie
Tockwith Training

Thanks Laurie. I contacted Tockwith when I was enquiring about training, your school and the trucks you teach on seem really good. I know K&J’s trucks, see them a lot round here - they’re part of the RT Keedwell group aren’t they. Looks like decent kit too, Topline Scanias. I’m surprised to hear they’d hire a novice, that’s a bonus!

philmots:
Go for it… i passed my class 1 a few months back, (with tockwith^^ who i’d highly recommend) and am in full time permenant work now. :sunglasses:

How soon after passing your Class 1 did you find work? Had you been driving before that or were you a complete novice? I take it you’re driving for Sainsbury’s - where you based and what’s the job and money like if you don’t mind me asking■■?

Thanks again for the positive feedback, it’s good to know!!

The truth is thing are not easy at the moment getting into work, but tell me an occupation (other than undertaker) that is…an LGV licence under normal circumstances is the only thing that you can pick op and put down at will without upsetting an employer…I used to do agency work for 9 months and then go to the sun for the winter, so go for it the future will be better.

then go to the sun for the winter

… but now times are hard, the funds are being diverted towards the new Bentley!! :laughing: :laughing: