My very first lorry... sort of!?

I used to deliver eggs to London on my first driving job, it was bloody hard work, allways wantd to be alorry driver (dad, uncles etc), but never been out of Norfolk, got this job,(around 20 drops a day down the Smoke),apart from Tuesdays when i went down to Sussex and had a night out on the way home (first drops Redhill, Haywards Heath,Horley, Crawley, work my way over to Brighton, last drop Chatham via Eastbourne etc, the Southern Coast, roughly 15 drops) anyway here is my very first lorry.

at a guess around 19986-ish? The Cargo was roughly 3 or 4 years old when i got it. I had curtains made easpecially for my night out a week, thats when i really got addicted to driving :smiley: :smiley: :frowning: :blush:

I am giving my age away here. This was mine except it had a covered in body on the back.I was 14 yrs old when I first took it for a spin around the town. My old dad let me practice on a field at the back of our house so I was driving that when I was 13… I used to go to the old Covent Garden once a week in that. It had a V8 petrol engine that never started in the Winter because the battery was too weak. It had a starting handle that pulled yer guts out on a frosty morning.It had cable brakes that were useless,you had to change down the box when loaded to assist braking…But we wuz Trucking!! :laughing: :laughing:

This is its bigger brother.

I drove a D Series as my first lorry and as long as it weighed less than 3 ton empty I could drive it so we used to build them very light even taking them to the weighbridge with floorboards missing and all tools jacks and spare wheels removed

Thanks to Hanks pics for me nicking this one

Wheel Nut:
one

The first truck I ever drove was one of those, in about 74 or 75.
I worked part time on a farm, they had one and I was sent, on my bike, to pick it up from the farm about two miles away. All but the middle 200yds was on farm track :smiley: :smiley: