Yorkshire companies

The Biker
Hi do you remember Tony Watson who worked at Wilsons ?
Regards MaggieD

Hi The Biker … your memory is going :laughing: Jack Smith was @ Thorp Arch past the Test station, then past end of Rugate … then on the left. ROOKES was the one @ Taddy … funnily i saw a blue Merc t’other day … Richard Rooke - Tadcaster. Jack Smith’s used to do plaster board (i think :question: ) flat trls F7 tractor units.

MaggieD … DON’T get The Biker started on names from Wilsons :laughing: :laughing: both domestic fridge side or the old international side !

The Rustler,
Hi thanks for the advice I won’t mention John Thomson,Dash Carter,or little David from Easingwold then :blush: :blush:
Regards MaggieD

Remember Rookes at taddy.Their address was Islington,Tadcaster.What about good old Tommy Nightingale.Olds AEC 8 leggers,(think they were ex-Bowaters)45 mph.London trunk nights,digs during the day,back to Garforth next night.No M1,only old A1 and not many by-passes.The original"change clutch/gearbox by the road side"!
Yardleys transport-glass and fruit markets.Lax and Shaw,more glass 2 pallets high.4 sheets and a fly sheet,only ropes,no straps.Many a load off on Meanwood road.

What happened to DESMO from halifax.I rember seeing him with his prestine scannia,I think he used to pull a carpet trailer.

hi jj72 you mentioned a few firms from batley dewsbury etc do you remember a firm on grange road in batley called yak transport they ran transconties or am i just going mad

Now Maggie D you will get me started i took over in the International office when TOny left and remember all those names + John Cooper (cooperman) Shawn, Sandy Dykes, Tommo, Steve Downend, Ronnie Cook etc + lad than lived in Hull and ran Swiss all the time with the F12 cannot remember his name I know he eventually ended up living in Swiss.

love sponge:
hi jj72 you mentioned a few firms from batley dewsbury etc do you remember a firm on grange road in batley called yak transport they ran transconties or am i just going mad

sorry mate i don’t recall them - doesn’t mean you’re going mad though :wink:

What a bunch of southerners lol but I did notice this company mentioned…

Now if we can get back to North Yorkshire…

Greens of Malton

Dave Medforth, Thixendale.

Beresfords, Sutton on the Forest.

Ward Bros of Malton on a nice bracing Yorkshire spring morning.

Oh yeah and Russells brewery dray, Malton.

I guess you will have noticed more than one of those wagons has a ‘Lonewolf’ in the windscreen! :laughing:

Lonewolf Yorks:
What a bunch of southerners lol but I did notice this company mentioned…

Now if we can get back to North Yorkshire…

Greens of Malton

Dave Medforth, Thixendale.

Beresfords, Sutton on the Forest.

Hullo Lone Wolf,
Nice Photos on there mate, Russells, Greens Potatoes and Wards eh? Great… But what about, Turnbulls, Slaters or Smithy (the prat), or Katy Dennis, or Malton Ferts, or Bells, John Fenwick and of course why have’nt you got one of mine on there?
I still do a bit for Steve and Dave at weekends when I’m back in the uk, usually Asda work out of Middlesbrough. A good thread, keep Ryedale on the map eh!
Cheers, Archie.

Ward Bros of Malton on a nice bracing Yorkshire spring morning.

Oh yeah and Russells brewery dray, Malton.

I guess you will have noticed more than one of those wagons has a ‘Lonewolf’ in the windscreen! :laughing:

Hullo Lone Wolf,
Nice Photos on there mate, Russells, Greens Potatoes and Wards eh? Great… But what about, Turnbulls, Slaters or Smithy (the prat), or Katy Dennis, or Malton Ferts, or Bells, John Fenwick and of course why have’nt you got one of mine on there?
I still do a bit for Steve and Dave at weekends when I’m back in the uk, usually Asda work out of Middlesbrough. A good thread, keep Ryedale on the map eh!
Cheers, Archie.

Your wish is my command…

Smithy

Katy Dennis (not the man her father was :laughing: )

Foxtons

Rhodesey

Jimmy Stockdale

Haven’t any of Slaters unfortunately, nor Bells although I’ve had plenty of opportunity over the years. I was exhibiting at Gaydon over the weekend and the recurring theme seems to be “I wish I’d taken (more) photos”.

Hullo Lone Wolf,
Great you’ve got some fine photographs there, what to you exhibit then ? do you have a truck ? or tractor to show.
Cheers, Archie.

I’m a model maker, click my signature.

Lonewolf Yorks:
I’m a model maker, click my signature.

Hullo Lone Wolf,
With your eye for detail and precision ( models look great ), what are you like at putting in kitchens ? Was chatting to Steve and Brenda yesterday, your name cropped up.
Cheers, Archie.

Here’s a name Love Sponge may remmember :question: Tower Transport … used to be near top of Claro Road ( Hgte), opp the rugby ground. :question: I can remember walking to school in the early Seventies, seeing their trucks loaded with bales of waste newspaper from the Coucil depot @ bottom of Claro road … they must have just started the “recycling” - they used to have HESSIAN :exclamation: sacks hung on the back/side of the duscarts. :slight_smile:
Also used to be the BRS depot on Dragon road … where the ASDA carpark is now :question:

Here’s a couple for you

come on chaps - thread’s falling behind, maybe it’s that hard working tykes are still much sought after and fully employed, whilst lesser mortals are credit crunched and sat around moping on messageboards? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a name Love Sponge may remmember Tower Transport … used to be near top of Claro Road ( Hgte), opp the rugby ground. I can remember walking to school in the early Seventies, seeing their trucks loaded with bales of waste newspaper from the Coucil depot @ bottom of Claro road … they must have just started the “recycling” - they used to have HESSIAN sacks hung on the back/side of the duscarts.
Also used to be the BRS depot on Dragon road … where the ASDA carpark is now

I don’t believe it. My dad worked for Tower transport in Harrogate before i was even conceived. The only reason i know is because he has told me stories about it when i used to go with him in his Alfred Hymas wagon in the school holidays.

Stanfield:
A couple more here
Stansfield Transport Halifax (ceased trading)
Alan Lodge Tankers Barnsley

Stansfields sold out to a muppet from the smoke whos first words to his new workforce were “i dont know much about haulage”. Hey presto 2 years down the line shut shop. Prob didnt help that one of the Stansfields bros started up on his own 6 months earlier (A.Field Transport) I should know worked at Stannies for 5 yrs till end then 2 yrs for someone else now working for A. Fields.