Yorkshire Hauliers

I worked for Wilsons Boroughbridge in the mid 70s. I inherited the fIrst F89 from Archie Rider who broke his leg at Chamonix. I spent some time at Chamonix hospital with him in between changeovers at Cluses. When it was time for him to come home, I was instructed to put him on the bottom bunk and when I told his doctor about this, he organised a private ambulance to Geneva airport and a flight back to the UK. When I left, there was a great group of drivers, Jim Bradford from Ripon, John Bray, Bobby Brown who took his wife and baby every trip, great scent of used nappies in his cab, and Geoff (I think) Booker. Many happy memories of Macon, The Bakehouse at St Cyr, and the wonderful Congarezzo lorry park just outside Milan.

Just joined the forum, worked for quite a few companys around here, wondered if there are any ex workmates on here , or anyone who has any pics to post up of the firms,I have some i will stick up when i have the time. Firms are Greenbank Transport Knaresborough, i was there in the mid 80,s just before they moved to Rufforth. They are now KD Logistics.Next up Sadler International in Boroughbridge, also Reed Boardall just as it took over Wilsons in 92, Sam Transport ,they were at Thorp Arch Wetherby when i drove for em. Think there now out Wakefield way. Great site by the way.

Now

Greenbanks I remember as a youngster and a mate worked for them when they were on Manse Lane - Ray rented a house to a mate up to last year on the waterside.
Sadler Int - or what ever name they were using at the time based just outside Boroughbridge with various motors running over the water - another mate who is on here “The Rustler” did a double manned trip for them once.

Wilsons / Wilson International / RB - worked for them as Wilson and WInt for 6 years most evenings and weekends and even did a spell in the international office before Cliff sold up.

Sam I know of but not well -

Have a look on here there is a few threads on Yorkshire firms, Hymas, and RB.

If you live in Knaresborough and have the name you do - did you work for Wilsons doing UK trailers when the international lads came back?

The Biker , wont have been me at Wilsons. I was at Greenbanks in the mid 80s, driving a 7.5 tonner. Passed class 1 in 1990 and got on for Sadlers 2 weeks later,maiden voyage sent off to Switzerland :open_mouth: . Alan Sadler sadly passed away recently, quite sad when i found out , gave a youngster with no experience the chance to prove himself. Went all over western europe for Sadler, had some great memorable times. Was at RB 92 -97,just as they had dropped the Wilson name. Worked out i was driver no 26 when i started. Shows how its become the monster it has since then. Was at Alfred Hymas for a very short spell (one week :slight_smile: ), too much like Helldrivers for me.Remember Maurice Hymas ,didnt use a computer, all the jobs were laid out on a big table on small scraps of paper. When you walked in he just picked out a handful and that was your jobs for the next day . Old style. I will try and find the threads you mention. Cheers.

No worries

Sorry to hear about Alan.

Stewart is now running the Hymas business and he still gives out the little bits of paper and uses a computer.

P

Did anyone drive for or remember Tait Transport of York (Acaster Airfield) did a lot of work for Portacabin.With 4/5 unit,s in Littleborough,Lanc,s .Rgd.s Barry Lang.

has anybody any photos of g wilkinson of leyburn from the 60s n70s

i started at wilsons in 1992, they had this foden with a 350 cat in it they were using nigel wilsons f89 as a shunter

I started in 92 twin splitter,will probabley know each other. Remember both of those well, Lad called Gary Pendleton was driving the Foden then. The old shunter was Nigel Wilsons, old man Cliff Wilson bought it for him for his 21st if im not mistaken. Looks like the Darlington road coldstore in Northallerton .440Mopar aka Steve Chapman. :slight_smile:

hello steve, its gary nimmo. karls on here under love sponge. theres not many of us old hands left at rb. bob and malcolm are shunting, chads still here, thats about it. jimmy, gordon, billy have just left.

Hello Gary ,thought it might be you out of three possibles. Welchy or Malcolm not on then. Jimmys left RB , :open_mouth: . Thought he was a lifer. Last time i saw you, was when i brought a trailer down to Peterborough services when i were working in the garage. Been back on the spanners 10 years now, getting abit fed up chewing around covered in ■■■■■ all day. Since i stumbled onhere i can feel the call of the open road building. Kids all grown up now so nights away not a problem. Did your lad follow the family tradition or is he staying clear of waggons. Not seen Karl for years, think hes still knocking about around here.Good memorys of Chichester, Wooton Basset and football at Le Pain Dagenham :laughing: .

Couple of my Sons’ parked up.