Yorkshire companies

love sponge:
hi there its seems as though each different area has a photo thread so why not start one for yorkshire doesnt matter north west south or east

Marshalls

PART TWO

love sponge:
hi there its seems as though each different area has a photo thread so why not start one for yorkshire doesnt matter north west south or east

Marshalls

PART THREE

Thats al from me

Last photo, Vernon Robinson F7 ( ex Longthorne) coming out of South Lane

gloves:

love sponge:

Marshalls

PART THREE

Thats al from me

Last photo, Vernon Robinson F7 ( ex Longthorne) coming out of South Lane

great pics barry. When marshalls had a great fleet keep em coming

I remember this at Marshalls Glen Quarry Stainton.A few years ago it was in a yard near Stanley Tools at Hellaby.I will go to see if it’s still there this week.
Trucks%20625.jpg"Shireman on the headboard."

paul motyka:
I remember this at Marshalls Glen Quarry Stainton.A few years ago it was in a yard near Stanley Tools at Hellaby.I will go to see if it’s still there this week.0"Shireman on the headboard."

Most of the Foden 4000’s were taken at Stainton

Barry/Gloves

gloves:

paul motyka:
I remember this at Marshalls Glen Quarry Stainton.A few years ago it was in a yard near Stanley Tools at Hellaby.I will go to see if it’s still there this week.0"Shireman on the headboard."

Most of the Foden 4000’s were taken at Stainton

Barry/Gloves

Thanks Barry,great pics.I was trying to recognise the background to the pics but did not go in Glen quarry much,only passed as a kid because in the late 60s early 70s you could go in to the quarry entrance and the road carried on in to Braithwell all sealed off now.If you come across any more pics from my area please post,regards Paul.

paul motyka:

Went to TG Commercials at hellaby today sorry to say the Foden J101 JFW has long gone from the yard.

Thanks Barry, great photos

harrison 5.jpg

south Yorkshire transport museum

Another one of Harrisons Watford Greats,Regards Larry.

gloves:

love sponge:

Dave Hornsey requested some photos from Marshalls

PART ONE

Barry/Gloves

D365GWX. Mick Johnsons motor, cat 325

G44 was a Ramsbottom wagon, note the ballon tyre single double drive layout.

A68 OCX was either John Ellerby Or Graham (flying raincoat)

FWY 780T was Bob sunderlands at Hipperholme (Brooks). My Dad drove FWY 779T from new to 8 year old as Harry liked it.

YNW 48X was blobbers at Hipperholme.

Lol seems like yesterday. Right up to F299 BUA which was Stouties wagon until Brian Curran bought it.

kenhulmes:
what about dorluxe of halifax and edward clay of ossett.

roadways huddersfield holroyds elland bedfords clecheaton jowets elland

Lawrence Dunbar:
Another one of Harrisons Watford Greats,Regards Larry.0

You would need 2/3 fellas with a rope on yon starting handle to swing that into life. :stuck_out_tongue:

coca cola kid:
Chas Brahams
oh i remember you lad,used to talk to all reguluar on the cb,i was the eggman drove for mantons from harrogate

Yes eggman that’s a big 10 - 4 if you eyeballed me which one of these would i have been in ?

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,

I’m pleased to say I missed the era of starting handles on lorries (although they were still on the old bangers we bought at age 17), did they have some sort of exhaust valve opening system so that you could get a bit of speed up before the compression stroke?

John

John West:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,

I’m pleased to say I missed the era of starting handles on lorries (although they were still on the old bangers we bought at age 17), did they have some sort of exhaust valve opening system so that you could get a bit of speed up before the compression stroke?

John

Yes the Gardner engines did, You could start them on three cylinders by lifting the lever on the end of the rocker cover & when the engine fired up the lever dropped back down & it fired on all 6, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

John West:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,

John

Yes the Gardner engines did, You could start them on three cylinders by lifting the lever on the end of the rocker cover & when the engine fired up the lever dropped back down & it fired on all 6, Regards Larry.

They were decompression levers, visible on old Gardners. It must have been more of a fiddle when you had to lift the engine cowl inside the cab to access the engine; and once started, close up the cowl again. Even your petrol-engined car in the old days could give you a kick if you didn’t pay attention. I was very wary of my P4 Rover 95 on cold mornings because the 6-cyl engines seemed fiercer on the crank handle than the 4-cyl ones IIRC. Something my great nephew will never have to lose sleep over! Robert