Yamaha XT 600 winter fettling project

Thanks for the advice Nobby and Knight2 .

Len and his mad idea is going to be a goer lol I think his 125 is a kymco pulsar ? Slightly exotic name for something that looks ok but made of tissue paper and tinfoil :laughing: .

But he is a stoic sort of lad who drives round in various classic cars such as a renau!t fuego ? And pug 205s anything he can get for nowt.
His last one was a focus estate in 3 shades of green with I think 220000 miles on it.
He loves the unloved.

As for a trl knight2 I am a bit of an eccentric but I think I’ll stick with the xt and all my crap strapped on the panniers and in the top box.
We are off for a laugh and a beer and some scenery.
We are all in our 50s and have the time don’t no about the money hence the beg borrow blag approach…

Just thought it would be something to aim for and having a goal seems to motivate me during my working week.

Hope it’s ian nteresting topic for people to see, and be part of the journey through to its conculsion .

Looking forward to winter 2018 I think the project is going to be a rebuild of an accident damaged microlight it was only put off this winter because our respective wives went nuts when they found out we were bidding on one on eBay haha.

It didn’t help when one crashed locally and the pilot was killed it was emblazoned across the front page of the local rag and thats why we went down the motor bike tour route instead.

I’ll have a nose through the links knight2 .

Still looking for an acerbis tank if anyone knows of one for sale.

Till next time.

knight2:
Your mate is quite right you don’t need a big bike to travel long distances read about this bloke.

Ed March - Around The World On A 30-Year-Old Honda C90 | Motorcycle.com

and if your ever interested in long trips this site is the one to go to.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

youtu.be/HvZsPS4XRLw bloody hell Knight2 Ted Marsh is the man.

Started fabbing a centre stand it will make life a whole lot easier regarding punctures out in the middle of knowhere.

Also cleaning and lubing the chain will be less grief.

£10 for the steel and £3.30 for a tin of etch primer so far.

Or £160 on ebay… for a new one .

I had a a right result of Ebay bought a scala q3 for £77 complete with new audio and mic kit.
They are a dear do to be fair but it was spotted by my mate who has the same one so its compatible and the range is 1 km.
Also at least half the price of a new one.

Got to sort the bump stops out and a couple of springs for the centre stand but the end is in sight

I have one more lesson for my mod 1 and i’m doing that tomorrow and my mod 1 test is on the 29th of this month.

I’ll do my mod 2 in Jan.

till next time.

That stand looks dead neat I’m impressed. The Scala intercoms usually get good write ups but tend to be expensive .

knight2:
That stand looks dead neat I’m impressed. The Scala intercoms usually get good write ups but tend to be expensive .

Thanks for the praise knight2 but to give credit where credits due its my pal Andrew who is the main driving force behind this centre stand.
A good few hours work and planning and figuring out have gone into constructing it.

It will be a godsend if the rear wheel has to come out.
As i said earlier the chain cleaning routine will be so much easier now the xt has a centre stand.

use a name:

knight2:
Enjoyed your last project and I’m enjoying this one. Often thought of using plastic drain pipe for waterproof storage like your document holder. I like the ingenuity that goes into the projects. As to the screen I wouldn’t ride without one as the buffeting can be very tiring on a long trip. When you get it up and running experiment with the angle and the height as a badly set up screen can be as bad as riding with out one. If you want more storage you could always make a single wheel trailer!
Thanks and keep posting please.

Thanks very much for the advice knight 2 , I’ve been told to fettle the angle of the screen and handle bars clutch and brake levers to suit me .

I’m a bit snookered at the min as I’ve still got my mod 1 and 2 to do…
But the plan in the new year is to have some Rideouts to Wales with a tool kit in the top box and adjust as I go along and get it sorted before heading out in may to Scotland.

I’m planning to do some miles on the beast to get to the stage where you don’t have to think about riding it just enjoy the ride and scenery which I hope will distract me from having a sore backside, back and shoulders etc.

As it stands the beast is coming on grand I’ve still some work to do with the help of friends and at the moment there will be 3 of us going one on a gs 1200 one on a Honda 500x ? My self on the xt and maybe Len a brave soul who has just bought a Chinese 125 in need of some work who is adamant that he has absolutely no problem with pounding the beat up to scotch on the old roads

Bravo I say can’t wait to be fair and I’ll carry on with the updates and progress of the old ■■■■■ tour of Scotland on their machines.

If anyone has done this type of thing around the west coast of Scotland and has any recommendations for campsites and quality bnbs pls PM me or post a link ta.

Till next time.
youtu.be/YX1yOVskQow

This guy did Ireland then down thru England on a Honda varedo 125 which is where the insperation came from Len to do it round Scotland on a Chinese 125 .

Poolewe has a lovely campsite right by the water. Get there on a Wed night to catch the ceilidh! Nice bit of wartime history for that area too.

Thanks for the heads up Tired and Emotional is this the campsite ? youtu.be/TNttxGTt3Fc

WW2 history is an interesting subject for me i prefer the aircraft side of things, airshows have played a big part of my summer wanderings and i’m going to do a few on the XT next summer, East Kirkby being one of them.

The fireworks display and night taxying in November of Just Jayne the Lancaster based at East Kirkby is good day/ evening out.
youtu.be/h2lBQNGHF7E

Found this site about Loch Ewe so i will be paying a visit while im riding about next summer.
scotlandinfo.eu/wartime-loch … -incident/