Worried about the future

commonrail:
Driverless trucks lol
I know of roundabouts where a driverless truck wouldn’t move between the hours of 1530 and 1830.

Good point…

Imagine the chaos at the A1/A46/A17 Newark spilt with only driverless trucks.

yourhavingalarf:
Imagine the chaos at the A1/A46/A17 Newark spilt with only driverless trucks.

That’s where it actually does work, where it is only driverless vehicles. It’s the intermediate part in which driverless vehicles are in with ones driven by a human. The law states that the driver is responsible; in a driverless car who is the ‘driver’?

This has been happening for years, a monkey can get to the moon and back, but still needs a human with a sealed set of instructions to be opened when in space [emoji573]

Feed Monkey [emoji205][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanley Knife:
That’s where it actually does work

I disagree…

Unless the road layout is completely changed then anything coming off the A1 southbound will never move at all, the queue will be past the North Muskham turning. If the computer waits until it’s technically ‘safe to pull out’ then it’ll be there all day.

Sadly the ‘wait 30 seconds and just go for it’ rule applies there at busy times.

austers:
Thanks for the replies guys and girls, I just hate the obsession with money that everybody seems to have now. I don’t care about impressing the neighbours and having the most expensive things, I just love driving lorries and seeing the whole country.

keep up that attitude and you’ll get far. Transport and nights out is good if you just want to drive and see the country. Get paid what you’re worth, nice steady pace and don’t burn yourself out with 71/84 hours a week and you’ll enjoy it. Park up near town centres, country pubs and shower before you park up. Enjoy a good read, download Netflix at home before you go tramping and get out and enjoy a chinwag with the locals. DO NOT BECOME A CAB RAT, and ignore your fellow lorry drivers. DO NOT FILM THEM FOR YOUTUBE. as they’re about to hit your cab. And above all, eat healthily and excercise. Most of all, look after your teeth. :grimacing: me, thirty years, 9.5 stone and got all my white teeth! Aged 72. Lol. :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
If the computer waits until it’s technically ‘safe to pull out’ then it’ll be there all day.

You’re thinking human, think computer. There will be no need for traffic regulations at this kind of junction, purely a matter of a line of code in a program that allows zip merging.

Stanley Knife:

yourhavingalarf:
If the computer waits until it’s technically ‘safe to pull out’ then it’ll be there all day.

You’re thinking human, think computer. There will be no need for traffic regulations at this kind of junction, purely a matter of a line of code in a program that allows zip merging.

Yeah I’ve even seen humans manage that once or twice… :smiley:

austers:
So yeah I’m worried about what the future will hold for us drivers after reading a lot of the news recently and its making me depressed. I don’t get what the obsession is with these rich billionaires trying to take away all of our jobs so millions of people are out of work and why the government is supporting it at all, it’s just a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Will us drivers still be there for security and to take over if something goes wrong? What’s to stop somebody putting a cone in the road and helping themselves to the load, what happens if you need to park illegally to unload? Gets me down as I’m only young but the government doesn’t care and the people who want all the money for themselves have obviously never cared. What will happen to the working class in years to come? :cry:

I think the driverless trucks are on their way but I can’t see it happening anytime soon, at least a decade before they are commercially available for some types of operations (trunking ?), then at least another decade before they are common place. Meanwhile well over half of the current drivers will have retired (I’m sure most drivers I see are in their 50s & 60s) So I reckon the autonomous trucks will just take the place of those retiring, I would guess there will still be a big need for drivers for a very long time to come.

Self driving lorries may work on a desolate highway, but in rush hour on any British motorway? It will be a catastrophe, as each car that cuts across at the last minute triggers the collision avoidance system all you will have is a big long line of stationary lorries. The whole road network will be gridlocked.

There will be more and more automation, but there will still be a human operator, they just won’t need any driving skills as that part will all be done by the computers, but they will have to push buttons now and again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The problem isn’t the situation we have now or when all vehicles are driverless it’s how to get from A to B. At present the driver is in control and responsible, in the future the computer will be. If you integrate driverless vehicles into present day these vehicles are going to need to be insured. No insurance company will touch them without knowing who is responsible for the driverless vehicles actions, no ‘passenger’ will accept responsibility for a vehicle controlled by a computer in which he has no input (anything else is not ‘driverless’) and no authority will accept uninsured vehicles on the road.

The authorities are behind the curve on this one, the technology is ready to be tried on the roads but the roads, and the laws of the road, aren’t ready to accept the technology. This technology will only improve if it’s used in the real world, but the authorities aren’t even past the horse and cart stage.

Bluey Circles:
I think the driverless trucks are on their way but I can’t see it happening anytime soon, at least a decade before they are commercially available for some types of operations (trunking ?), then at least another decade before they are common place.

I think that’s a fair assessment. I’d love to be around to see the finished product, well before the end of this century, but I’ve a feeling that’s a dream I won’t realise.

austers:
So yeah I’m worried about what the future will hold for us drivers after reading a lot of the news recently and its making me depressed. I don’t get what the obsession is with these rich billionaires trying to take away all of our jobs so millions of people are out of work and why the government is supporting it at all, it’s just a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Will us drivers still be there for security and to take over if something goes wrong? What’s to stop somebody putting a cone in the road and helping themselves to the load, what happens if you need to park illegally to unload? Gets me down as I’m only young but the government doesn’t care and the people who want all the money for themselves have obviously never cared. What will happen to the working class in years to come? :cry:

You can vote
you can encourage friends and family to vote
you can join a union
you can disparage newspapers that try to manipulate you by publishing lies
you can make your own mind up as to whether our future lies with Europe or the USA

raymundo:
Pointless gettin depressed cos there’s naff all you can do about it. Just make the most of out of a bad job and hope for a big lottery win …

I wish for that everyday,i even walk into the shops and ask for one of them winning tickets,never works though,buggers

Search david icke on youtube if worried about the future!! Now thats some scary stuff, or he could be just talking po y and trap.

You all need to get together and strike nationwide to get what you need, we did it in 1979 and bought the UK to a standstill, within 10 days we got everything we asked for and more. It’s about time you all stood up for yourselves.

Autonomous vehicles will happen - but it will be a difficult transition.

I believe Germany has already made legal changes to allow limited use as long as a ‘black box’ type recorder is fitted to record ‘who’ was drivingvand when.

Something like 93% of road traffic collisions are put down to human error - anything that reduces that has to be good.

As has been said, the sooner ALL vehicles are autonomous the better.

My opinion is that we will need ‘vehicle operators’ for many many years to cime

I wouldn’t worry, at least not yet. It won’t be a sudden switch, first we have cruise control, now we have lane wandering warning and auto emergency braking/adaptive CC, next it’ll be automatic lane holding. Whatever the step is after that I don’t know, but there needs to be a hell of a lot of development and testing before we’re removed from the seats.