the future

Of transport in 20 years

How will transport evolve or should I say devolve, in 20 years

What will the trucks look like
What will the roads look like
What will the attitude of other drivers be
What will the industry be like for the employee
What will the new regulations we have to follow
What will the pay be (the same or even worse )
What will the future be like for the new breed of driver

Do you think driving will be better in 20 years (or will we be overrun by cycles sorry had to say that :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: )

Probably be back to the horse & cart judging by the state of the roads. I don’t think that there will be much improvement in anything for several years. :frowning:

Looking like this would be nice.

Or maybe this:

In 20 years time I will be dribbling into my dinner and peeing my pants probably.
Trucks will have been banned from driving during the day to avoid congestion on the roads. Most goods will be moved longer distances by rail to special hubs set up around the country thereby reducing the distances trucks travel, reduces emissions and saves diesel.
Pay will remain pi$$ poor, nothing will change that. You will have to account for every minute you work, rest, eat, sleep and so on, there is always room for more legislation, it only takes a couple of bean counters in an office in Brussels to come up with some looney idea. Enjoy. Where’s me pudding?

Much as they do now, though power will come differently. I see the potential for fully electric trucks, perhaps on a model similar to the Ampera or Volt, with batteries and a range extending petrol or diesel engine, but not for heavy loads. Low weight, high volume loads, (cornflakes for example) will be needed for this, perhaps with the battery pack under the load bed of the trailer.

Again, very little change in the rural environment/motorway driving. Towns will be the main difference in my opinion and that will be more to do with timing than actual differences with the surface on which we drive. I would expect lorry bans in most town and city centers within ten years or so, with strict delivery times to be observed. Most high volume businesses will be forced into out of town retail parks to allow more deliveries.

Thats anyones guess. Given the current trend, I would say that it will go downhill rapidly until we only speak to those drivers we work with. Road behaviour will be disgusting.

Yet more regulation making it impossible not to get an infringement a month! Actual working conditions will be much better, but the days of a driver being a driver will be long gone. The man who turns up with the load will need to know how to tip it themselves, using hardware they bought with them. The MOFFAT will be as common a sight as the transit van.

You will have to know your stuff when it comes to the way of loading, driving and tipping.

Tighter RTR and WTD regulations. We will also have to get to grips with what can go on what vehicle, let alone which driver can take them. I wouldn’t expect one of them hybrid trucks to be able to take an ADR load for example, just in case.

If Eddie Stobart is still going we will be paid a pittance. If Stobart goes bust, the other big hauliers will see the writing on the wall, start charging more and we will be able to maintain our rate of pay. If the UK leaves the EU, pay will increase due to lower supply of drivers.

You wont find a new breed of driver. It is so hard now to get into the industry unless you know someone or you are related to the boss. Those who make it in will be OldSkool before they are licenced because they have been exposed to the industry from a young age.

Do you think driving will be better in 20 years (or will we be overrun by cycles sorry had to say that :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: )

It will be easier I think, but not better.

the daf xf will have another new grill and basicly look the same as the last 20 years :smiley:
seriously though if things keep going the way they are it will be inpossible to do the job.
traffic, h and s crap that stops you doing your job properly, i think because all this h and s rubbish is getting so bad and slowing down production and speed of work that most firms dont want to be based in britain with all the politics.

Slackbladder:
In 20 years time I will be dribbling into my dinner and peeing my pants probably.

Yep, sounds like a decent option - and probably a ■■■■ sight better than the haulage industry.

Stan

I don’t really care it will be nothing like you think, as the previous 20 years was.

I will be in one of those high backed chairs listing to Metallica trying to stop my liver coming out of my ■■■■■■■.

ithe cargo teleporter will of been invented by a major distribution company allowing them to ship your 40 pallets of goods around the world in seconds and beam them straight into the customer premises for an extra charge.

i believe the children are our future
teach them well and let them lead the way
show them all the beauty they possess inside
give them a sense of trust…

i’ve still got half a bottle to go.

yorkshire terrier:
the daf xf will have another new grill and basicly look the same as the last 20 years :smiley:
seriously though if things keep going the way they are it will be inpossible to do the job.
traffic, h and s crap that stops you doing your job properly, i think because all this h and s rubbish is getting so bad and slowing down production and speed of work that most firms dont want to be based in britain with all the politics.

Very insightful post I would say :sunglasses:

Nick,
that’s a very insightful and I think quite a well written and prophetic view on the whole subject and I do tend to agree with it all

Garlic bread it’s the future,

I’ve tasted it… :smiley: :smiley:

Have you not seen the adverts — the future is orange.
Bernard

Who gives a Donald duck? :open_mouth: Zimmerman frame or coffin probably! :grimacing: :grimacing:

it’ll be great. there are so many idiots coming into the game nowadays. they can’t think for themselves. so those with an old fashioned hands on, get the job done attitude will be highly sought after, and highly paid.
and when i get into power. all hgv drivers will be trained in marksmanship. there will be new laws passed. it will be illegal to be ill. any jobsworth that says you can’t do this, you can’t do that, you can’t park there, will be shot on site.
any company that dosn’t pay a decent wage will be nationalised and the directors will be sentenced to 10 years hard labour. hi vis vests will be banned. fat women will be banned from wearing anything that reveals a stretch marked belly.
trucks lengths will be governed by trailer length only. speed limiters will be illegal. all cars will be restricted to lane 2, we can then pass them on both sides.

limeyphil:
it’ll be great. there are so many idiots coming into the game nowadays. they can’t think for themselves. so those with an old fashioned hands on, get the job done attitude will be highly sought after, and highly paid.
and when i get into power. all hgv drivers will be trained in marksmanship. there will be new laws passed. it will be illegal to be ill. any jobsworth that says you can’t do this, you can’t do that, you can’t park there, will be shot on site.
any company that dosn’t pay a decent wage will be nationalised and the directors will be sentenced to 10 years hard labour. hi vis vests will be banned. fat women will be banned from wearing anything that reveals a stretch marked belly.
trucks lengths will be governed by trailer length only. speed limiters will be illegal. all cars will be restricted to lane 2, we can then pass them on both sides.

I’ll have some of that!! Where do I sign to get you into power?

I think the whole industry will crash before then anyway, it’s gotta go completely ■■■■ up before it starts getting better.

yorkshire terrier:
the daf xf will have another new grill and basicly look the same as the last 20 years.

Loved this!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that the era of the smaller companies and owner drivers is over, as more medium sized companies merge and expand to offer logistics and supply change services. “haulage only” firms will need to offer more services to compete. However, many more larger businesses will go to the wall for taking dangerous risks :unamused:
Things such as the WTD for O/Ds and increasing paperwork and legislation will also mean that O/D’s and small firms won’t be able to keep up :frowning:

Hauliers own workshops will become a thing of the past as vehicles become more sophisticated and require dealer support and computers which are out of reach for private firms. Also, more and more trucks will be on hire and lease agreements where repairs and maintenance are carried out by the manufacturer.

Trucks will remain the same, in 20 years time still running on diesel though many more on LPG, hyrdogen, etc. and “multi use” trailers (like those tanker/curtainsiders that Abbey have) will become much more popular.

And drivers, well the ones that moan will have plenty more to moan about :laughing: Drivers who are trained up (and there will be many more “skills card” things like the EPIC card for tipper hauliers etc) will be the ones who drive the industry forward after this STUPID driver cpc comes in and many drivers just disappear.

delboytwo:
Of transport in 20 years

How will transport evolve or should I say devolve, in 20 years

there all look like each other as there all be made by the same firm

what roads there be more pot holes and cones with no worker as there all be on heath and safety training

There be none in the industry because of all the cost

Un appreciated, under paid, stressful

DCPC will be a test and cost £1000 per year

We won’t go there, because we no it will not be what were worth

Tests, Tests, and more Tests

No, in London the average speed will be 2 miles per hour, and the truck will not be allowed to park any where.
and there be 5 million cycles and there all have head cams.

In 20/30yrs there will be hardly any drivers as most vehicles will be guided by satelite the technology is there now and only needs tweeking a bit. Eddie.