Self driving lorry of the future. Are you worried?

This is worrying for drivers. Google already have self driving cars that can navigate any road. How long do you think before technology takes our jobs?

This video shows a self driving lorry on a motorway.

They have been saying that for years don’t worry about it

Maybe it will happen one day but not until driverless car have been tested to the max. So we should have plenty of time for our generation. I can’t believe these vehicles are even being considered so many people will be unemployed (taxi drivers, buses, vans …)?. :frowning:

jonny b:
Maybe it will happen one day but not until driverless car have been tested to the max. So we should have plenty of time for our generation. I can’t believe these vehicles are even being considered so many people will be unemployed (taxi drivers, buses, vans …)?. :frowning:

And killed there would be alot more chance of something going wrong

I have given consideration to the automation risk to various jobs. A friend was looking into training for his professional helicopter licences with the aim of flying for the police. He said to me that it’s high on the cards in the very near future they will ditch manned helis and go to drones and he sees no future in it. No reason why not, the technology is there.

I wondered about freight trains. Maybe they’d be prime candidates for automation. The DLR is driverless. It makes you wonder how much we’ll engineer ourselves out of anything manual in the future. Already fighter aircraft are heading to drones. My Cousin’s husband was on Tornados, now he flies drones. Perhaps in the future we’ll be like those fat slob humans on that large spaceship in the film Wall-E!

tomorrows world in the 80’s showed driverless trucks 30 odd years on and yep nothing :wink:

My son is off to university in September, when we were doing the tours one if them showed various bits and pieces of what they were working on - one of the things was a series of drones which were building a brick wall - putting the muck down, flying a brick on top, pointing up etc. I think the biggest challenge is going to be economic rather than technical - what do you do when the vast majority of jobs have been replaced by machines? Maybe the government might be a good place to start - some logical thinking rather that blind adherence to dogma might be a good thing!

It’s inevitable that more tasks will be automated and human input will end after the design and build of the first whatever it is that requires automation - the machines/computers could self generate maybe and we become obsolete completely!

But that’s a long way off I think - more importantly the simple stuff like getting a constant reliable connection needs to cracked first. If they can’t contact the machines they will grind to halt and become useless. In some places you can’t even get a phone signal!

Tech is great when it works but when it doesn’t there’s usually a lack of plan B.

Firstly in the past when things that people did, that became automated, like the industrial revolution etc, meant that people did different jobs instead. Driving job might disappear one day, but others will open up in other areas. Labour goes where it is needed. Even if the very idea of labour/unskilled work, changes, jobs will still be there for us.

Secondly, I won’t be worried for my job until someone comes up with a truck to ask a customer where they would like their goods, and then get on a Moffett and deliver it up hill and down dale, or in London :wink:

As said in the video a driver will still have to be there.Commercial aircraft can use automatic pilot but they always have 2 pilots on board.If it werent for the risk of terrorism or piracy ships could be operated unmanned.

I’d be worried if I was a bit younger. A supermarket distribution centre will have trucks that drive themselves, unaccompanied to their shops. Trucks that don’t take breaks and can run 24/7! There won’t be any drivers, they might keep a couple of shunters on to couple up trailers etc, but that’s about it. Can’t you imagine how happy Tesco would be to dispense with their drivers?

Will other work open up for drivers and those that may have become drivers if there was still such a job? No of course not and other work did not open up for other people displaced in similar ways. In the past governments took their countries to war to dispose of those workers that could no longer be used. That’s got a bit more difficult now perhaps, and they’re having to let women into the military because they are more a part of the work force than they were once.

I’d say that if you look for a future driving then you need to ensure that experiments now taking place with driverless vehicles are a failure.

irish lorries:

jonny b:

And killed there would be alot more chance of something going wrong

Doubt it, unless they are going to program them to text, make phone calls, watch movies, read books or newspapers, eat dinner, ■■■■■■■■■■ or nod off then they will be much safer than what we have now.

bring it on the sooner the better then beam me up scottie

Humankind’s never ending quest to engineer its own demise is remarkable. Any one want to come to the beach?

samsgrandad:
bring it on the sooner the better then beam me up scottie

star trek is the future, why would you need trucks when the goods could be beamed from one place to another…
why would you need shops when your weekly shop could be automatically re-ordered by the computer in your home that knows what items you used this week… those items could be beamed straight to your kitchen table/doorstep… you might have to get off your ■■■■ and put it away though…

They cant even repair the roads we have now, so theres no way theyre gonna dig them up to lay computer pads thats the first issue. 2nd road works are gonna take forever because they gotta dig, then repair, then bring in the electric, gas, and computer pad geeks, which mean no vehicles for the forseeable future, bit like now really, and as for driverless vehicles, they wont be happening in our lifetime, yes the technology is there, but it wont be used until all of the country is built to a space age system.

viking7000:
Humankind’s never ending quest to engineer its own demise is remarkable. Any one want to come to the beach?

You’re ■■■■ right, and yes, shall i bring my bucket and spade :slight_smile:
I know its a long way off and fortunately not in our life times, but it’s all going to end up a bit I robot/Total Recall.
As someone mentioned already, look how much drone aircrafts are coming on of late, and has anyone seen that robot/dog mule thing■■? Think its done by a company called Boston robotics, or similar, its bloody clever.

edit,
Just had a look and it is now called Boston Dynamics, as it is now owned by GOOGLE.
Bugger we are doomed when Google get bought out by SKYNET :grimacing:

Seriously though, some serious technology involved at ‘Boston’ and alot of funding from the US military.

scaniason:
My son is off to university in September, when we were doing the tours one if them showed various bits and pieces of what they were working on - one of the things was a series of drones which were building a brick wall - putting the muck down, flying a brick on top, pointing up etc. I think the biggest challenge is going to be economic rather than technical - what do you do when the vast majority of jobs have been replaced by machines? Maybe the government might be a good place to start - some logical thinking rather that blind adherence to dogma might be a good thing!

i was a bricklayer for a good few years when i left school,the robot machines laying bricks to a line on a straight run are a thing i remember on the likes of tomorrows world(very impressive lol),but they so far havent made a robot that can build a quoin(corner),construct an arch,get the damp proof courses spot on on a reveal,wall ties,cavity bats etc
anyone could learn to lay bricks to a line in a week like the robots,thats easy.
the rest has to be learnt.no fear from robots for a while yet lol
same goes for driving

The Victoria Line on the London Underground opened in 1967.
It"s all in tunnel apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
All the driver has done since 1967 is open the doors, close them again and presses a button to tell the train to go. He’s only there in case something goes wrong.
Which is quite often.
Now the clown Mayor wants driverless trains.
If it’s taken the London Underground all of these years to push for driverless trains when the technology was there in the late 60s, I would not worry about driverless trucks.
We’ll all be dead and buried before it gets off the ground.

viking7000:

mankinds demise may be our greatest achievement