Self driving lorry of the future. Are you worried?

scanny77:
mankinds demise may be our greatest achievement

+1
We will evolve to extinction and in doing so hand the power over to machines.
Our only hope is that computers which develop AI have an inbuilt primary function to preserve the human race and they will deceide to put us all in testubes and use our electricity to power themselves whilst plugging our conciousness into a virtual reality simulation untill some woman in a tight PVC jumpsuit comes along to switch the world off and back on again.

The apes will then take over and fight the machines until they find themselves in the same situation.

Then it will be the turn of the dogs and cats.

Darwin was wrong… :open_mouth:

Just guessin.

Technology fails, computers fail, be loads if crashes with these driverless lorries - it worries me terribly. Leave the drivers alone.

I think insects will inherit the earth, look how an ants nest operate when threatened, or wasps for that matter ■■? humans are so yesterday it’s a wonder we have survived so long !!

65cherub:
Technology fails, computers fail, be loads if crashes with these driverless lorries - it worries me terribly. Leave the drivers alone.

‘Loads of crashes’ would appear to be the status quo at the moment. I doubt self-driving lorries would be able to do any worse than half the idiots out there in trucks already.

Its all good until you get something like this.

65cherub:

Unfortunately humans also fail and don’t generally have any safeguards built in whereas a computer will be able to have safeguards, sensors, warnings built in.

Don’t forget the driver will be sitting there ready to take control. The truck will only allow the driver to activate the autonomous drive if it deems it safe to do so etc etc.

But as already said, a computer won’t be distracted, get angry, road rage, rush about, read books or text etc.

Having been out and about on my bike yesterday, coming back down the M6 there were trucks literally a few feet apart and a few bullying cars along in the slower bits. Hopefully at some point in the future these systems will stop this or at least control it.

Steve66:
The Victoria Line on the London Underground opened in 1967.
It"s all in tunnel apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
All the driver has done since 1967 is open the doors, close them again and presses a button to tell the train to go. He’s only there in case something goes wrong.
Which is quite often.
Now the clown Mayor wants driverless trains.
If it’s taken the London Underground all of these years to push for driverless trains when the technology was there in the late 60s, I would not worry about driverless trucks.
We’ll all be dead and buried before it gets off the ground.

In 1927 the Post Office opened 23 miles of undergound track in London which was driverless. It closed in 2003; the Post Office claimed it was much cheaper to transport mail by road across London than by driverless rail. Go figure.

Oh this subject again :unamused: It has been discussed to death and the conclusion by many is that it wont happen:

• Driver still has to be present
  • Lets see them contend with British roads and our lovely highways dept :smiley:
  • It will be decades before they can cope with mulidrop around Bradford
  • The computer will sit behind a middle lane hugger for the whole journey instead of overtaking on the inside
  • So many errors will immediately scupper the economic viability of this scheme
  • They will be too expensive to run, maintain and oversee remember companies still have to pay a driver so why the extra expense

Remember also in the 1970’s there was serious debate about automating a lot of coal face activity to reduce accidents at the coal face in mines. No one saw Thatcher coming :smiley: There is more danger of freight moving back to canal and rail that robots driving trucks. Tomorrows world hardly ever got it right predicting the future and if suits had been right in the past we would be driving supercars in the sky and living on other planets now which is what they thought in the 1980’s :smiley:

Many years from now (well 10 ish) this forum will have threads like:

Help my truck wont give me manual control
Does my truck have a virus
Stopped for a ■■■■ and my truck drove off without me
How do I reverse manually
DVOSA guy electricuted by my truck
Computer says no to handing keys in and sitting in RDC waiting room
Whats this button do
Whats POA mean
Anyone work for Maritime

So when the drivers seat turns does that mean hes still driving or other work or poa?

Like the comment about the truck driving off whilst the drives washing the n/s/f wheel :laughing:
Imagine the phone call the transport office!

Dipper_Dave:
Many years from now (well 10 ish) this forum will have threads like:

Help my truck wont give me manual control
Does my truck have a virus
Stopped for a ■■■■ and my truck drove off without me
How do I reverse manually
DVOSA guy electricuted by my truck
Computer says no to handing keys in and sitting in RDC waiting room
Whats this button do
Whats POA mean
Anyone work for Maritime

That tickled me thank you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hank Hill:
So when the drivers seat turns does that mean hes still driving or other work or poa?

Like the comment about the truck driving off whilst the drives washing the n/s/f wheel :laughing:

It means he is getting the ■■■■ mags out and the tacho goes on bed but by then there might be another symbol :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

alder:

Hank Hill:

It mean he is getting the ■■■■ mags out and the tacho goes on bed but by then there might be another symbol :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

Remember once while night trunking a few years back a polish truck passing me on the motorway driver was watching a ■■■■ movie on his laptop :open_mouth: Wonder if he had that symbol on his tacho :question:

I can envisage ringing my planners up and saying:
“Sorry theres a problem with the trucks auto pilot function as I’m unable to enter my new destination into the truck smart-nav as live jasmin keeps popping up. Oh and the company tacho card owes Xhamster £45”.

Dipper_Dave:
“Sorry theres a problem with the trucks auto pilot function as I’m unable to enter my new destination into the truck smart-nav as live jasmin keeps popping up. Oh and the company tacho card owes Xhamster £45”.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Evil8Beezle:

Dipper_Dave:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Neither do I, I am sure its not £45 :blush: :blush: :blush:

Aircraft can fly a full journey on autopilot if necessary - take off, landing and cruise. Yet they still need pilots.

Pilots are paid for the full journey. How long will it be before the haulage company only wants to pay the driver the amount of time he/she is in control.?

alder:

• Driver still has to be present
  • Lets see them contend with British roads and our lovely highways dept :smiley:
  • It will be decades before they can cope with mulidrop around Bradford
  • The computer will sit behind a middle lane hugger for the whole journey instead of overtaking on the inside
  • So many errors will immediately scupper the economic viability of this scheme
  • They will be too expensive to run, maintain and oversee remember companies still have to pay a driver so why the extra expense:D

Yes the driver needs to be present, awake and still responsible for the vehicle. We are looking at level 3 autonomous vehicles - not driverless vehicles.

The current prototype systems will struggle with all but the best motorways in the UK. These systems are more for bigger/better roads so we might not have much use for them on this little island.

They aren’t supposed to deal with multi drop. It’s just a more advanced cruise control that can slow, brake, maintain position in the lane and avoid hitting something where possible. So some drivers will never need it.

If it does sit behind a middle lane hugger the driver can take control, drive dangerously close, flash the lights and harass the car driver until he moves - then turn highway pilot back on.

I can’t see what errors we might see. If it won’t turn on because there’s a fault then the driver can just drive it!!

As for extra expense. Initially maybe but most of the technology already exists and has for a good while in cars and so is relatively cheap. I think you may be right about ongoing expense to fix bits but most of the new bits are probably just sensors, a radar, camera etc. in time it’ll be just like having cruise and aircon - normal.

I believe this is near enough to actually happening to see it well established in my working life. It isn’t tomorrow’s world stuff - it’s not rocket science anymore.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it too much. What can you do anyway? If trucks go fully automated, rail will first - its easier. Bound to happen at some point but how far in the future? Can’t say. What’s to do. Train for something else that’s being automated/dumbed down.