Windscreen wipers

Frankydobo:
This one isn’t sure what it prefers! from the Brewery Lorries thread.

No argument there…

I believe that the earliest windscreen wipers were hand operated, perhaps some of our older contributors can confirm?

ERF-NGC-European:

Suedehead:
The only motor I drove that had top mounted wipers was a Leyland FG during my tyre fitting days. The wipers swept towards each other, which made it nigh on impossible to see out of the screen driving in heavy snow as it all built up in the middle.
Also, can remember going in the old mans Thames trader as a kid and the wipers went faster on tick over, than when he was flat out
(45 mph) :smiley:

Yes, my FG had 'em top-mounted too. I also had a BMC LDM van with them. Also the three Leyland Titan double-deckers I drove had 'em. And a Volvo F88 with crap ones that were vacuum or air operated like a Ford Prefect and went slower the faster you travelled. R

The Volvo F88 ones were renowned as being bad Robert :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

A03109.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:

John West:
If you’ve ever driven a lorry with top mounted wipers in the rain - you’ll know why!

The wiper comes up the screen and you have a few moments of clarity. The wiper goes down the screen - and all the water it has just pulled up follows it down, in streaks, right in front of your eyes…

And, repeat.

Frustrating? Oh yes! I wanted to drag whoever designed top mounted wipers and tie them to the seat and make them watch for a full day! Perhaps somebody did and that’s why they changed.

John.

The other disadvantage of top-mounted wipers was that taller drivers stared straight into the arc of untreated windscreen whilst the rest of the screen was being cleared outside their field of focused vision :open_mouth: . I’m only a short-arse so I didn’t mind so much! R :sunglasses:

Hey John and Anorak you both have right, top mounted wipers and of course air driven was the same ■■■■.
I drove the first F88’s and it was a nightmare. I changed the the sheets for longer and mounted them not again in the centre, so the anled left about was much more clean, if you were tall it was a good idee. But the air problem stayed and the motors went stuck very often. If you came across an other lorry if very windy they lay on the roof.
But what I not can understand was that Englisch F88’s stayed 2/3 year longer as on the continent, with the wipers on the top !!!
I did it this way as on the picture.
Eric,

8.jpg

My S21 had toggle switch mounted on the motor, used a cane to switch the nearside one on ( who needs wi fi )
Trouble was they traveled at different speeds,it nearly sent me daft ! Never used the n/s one again :open_mouth:

FB_IMG_1543321003620.jpg

Gingerfold wrote; I believe that the earliest windscreen wipers were hand operated, perhaps some of our older contributors can confirm?

I know the US wartime Jeep had hand operated wipers on the fold down screen, a cranked handle each side which was linked by a connecting rod so either a driver or passenger could operate the wipers, not recommended when being shot at! I’m sure earlier civilian vehicles in the UK would also have had a similar system. Franky.

Well the ones on my S21 Mickey Mouse 8 Wheeler Tipper worked very well indeed, No Probs at all,Regards Larry.

^^^^ looking good as usual Larry :wink:

Punchy Dan:
^^^^ looking good as usual Larry :wink:

Cheers Dan, The lad behind the wheel is my youngest son Nigel, 11 years old then, He is now 56, And driving for the Famous Haulier J.R.Adams, With a 14 plate MAN On local heavey stuff, Hope you & yours are keeping well my friend, Regards Larry.

Frankydobo:
Gingerfold wrote; I believe that the earliest windscreen wipers were hand operated, perhaps some of our older contributors can confirm?

I know the US wartime Jeep had hand operated wipers on the fold down screen, a cranked handle each side which was linked by a connecting rod so either a driver or passenger could operate the wipers, not recommended when being shot at! I’m sure earlier civilian vehicles in the UK would also have had a similar system. Franky.

Some pre WW2 cars from Morris etc had manual wipers, and of course those individual wiper motors on some commercials had a lever on them. Wether that was for parking the blade or for emergency use is anyones guess! I wonder how effective those rotary spinners were that some vehicles were fitted with?

Pete.

windrush:

Frankydobo:

Some pre WW2 cars from Morris etc had manual wipers, and of course those individual wiper motors on some commercials had a lever on them. Wether that was for parking the blade or for emergency use is anyones guess! I wonder how effective those rotary spinners were that some vehicles were fitted with?

Pete.

Rotary spinning screens? I think they do well on boats? Ok on a flat screen if you want to look mostly ahead, but on a curved, aerodynamic screen, needing to look for loons approaching from all quarters? Maybe not so good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember years ago an advert in a magazine for a racing helmet with a rotary screen. Jim.

jmc jnr:
I remember years ago an advert in a magazine for a racing helmet with a rotary screen. Jim.

That would be the ‘TurboVisor’, my mate’s older brother had one in the late sixties and thought he was the bees knees. He didn’t keep it for long, said it made him feel dizzy, watching it spin round a couple of inches from his eyes. He said it did a good job of throwing the rain off his visor though, but all his mates laughed at him, so it was back to the old flying goggles for him.

I remember the Turbovisor well. Can’t have been that bad if 2 World champions endorsed them :open_mouth: :wink:

TURBO VISOR AD.jpg
Regards. John.

old 67:
I remember the Turbovisor well. Can’t have been that bad if 2 World champions endorsed them :open_mouth: :wink:
Regards. John.

I bet that would turn a woman’s eye John :unamused:

coomsey:

old 67:
Regards. John.

I bet that would turn a woman’s eye John :unamused:

Aye, a bit pointless me and my mates combing the ■■■■■ and D.A.,swaggering up to a bird in the cafe, offering her a pillion ride and then putting on your Turbovisor. :blush: :blush:

Regards John.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Well the ones on my S21 Mickey Mouse 8 Wheeler Tipper worked very well indeed, No Probs at all,Regards Larry.

Hi Larry. I can see that on the Mickey Mouse cab the wipers are small and sweeping away before they go up, so the rain dribbling back down the screen possibly wasn’t directly in front of your face. Like 9.00 x 20 I had a LAD cab Comet. The rain fell back directly in front of you. My next truck was a BMC 6 wheeler. There the problem was compounded by the fact that even though I’m only 5’10" I was almost ducking to see out of the screen anyway! I bought a BMC Mastiff in December 1969 and the wipers were bottom mounted - no more problems! Oh it had a heater that worked too, always a bonus. (The only times the heater worked in the Leyland was going up Shap and over Carter Bar.)

Happy Days, John.

Totally off-topic, but when I was clinging to my youth by indulging in a bit of kart racing, we could buy “rain spinners” for mounting on the helmet’s visor. A bit like looking through misted-up glass until you were used to it but a sight better than trying to see where you were going when caught in an all day downpour at Wigan!
Oh yes, nearly forgot- back from xmas at the sprogs so a belated Happy New Year to all.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Totally off-topic, but when I was clinging to my youth by indulging in a bit of kart racing, we could buy “rain spinners” for mounting on the helmet’s visor. A bit like looking through misted-up glass until you were used to it but a sight better than trying to see where you were going when caught in an all day downpour at Wigan!
Oh yes, nearly forgot- back from xmas at the sprogs so a belated Happy New Year to all.

A Happy New Year to you too Casey , after your blagging another free holiday , " I wish the old sod would bugger off home , the fridge is empty and we are out of cider " type of holiday . I hope you are in good health and well rested .

Talking of being able to see better, did anyone on here ever buy those yellow tinted night driving glasses, my Dad had a pair when he did night trunk and said they were just the job and actually improved vision. This would have been around the mid 60’s. Franky.

rigsby:

Retired Old ■■■■:

A Happy New Year to you too Casey , after your blagging another free holiday , " I wish the old sod would bugger off home , the fridge is empty and we are out of cider " type of holiday . I hope you are in good health and well rested .

You have the scenario well sussed, Dave! The intake of apple juice must have done even more damage to the remaining brain cell as I totally missed the “Turbo Visor” post earlier! Mustn’t get too sober as I have a cracking “last minute” deal on a week in the Canaries at the end of this month. Spending the sprog’s inheritance, again!